Hewlett-Packard Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (El Paso, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

Interview went smoothly and interviewer was very friendly and helpful. Felt comfortable at all times and was given opportunity to express knowledge-base.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions can be very specific and developers often need to refer to certain resources for coding questions, which in this case were not made available.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Able to negotiate higher salary then what was offered to others based on experience with company and in field.

Other Interview Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Cupertino, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

I had initial interview with Hiring Manager and he was very nice person. He ran through some basic Technical question on Java/J2EE technologies.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain about Binary Tree - Depth First Search and breadth first search   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2010.

Interview

That was the Java Senior level interview, I got the call from a Manager and he told, that there will be a telephonic interview. Next day I've received a call from the panel there were 4 people in the team, they were polite, Core java questions like collection, String Buffer, ArrayList and Generics, Spring related like AOP IOC and JPA that was a 1 hour interview, it went on well. But I havent got the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

Hiring mgr. contacts you. May be followed by phone interview. 4 to 5 1:1 interviews

Interview Questions

• Questions on Java programming basics, DBMS, javascript   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiate on salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Alpharetta, GA) in October 2010.

Interview

The hiring process was relatively easy and relaxed. There were some technical discussions based on the experience you list in your resume. There was a phone interview follow by a face-to-face. The decision was made very quickly.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They gave me my highest requested salary so I did not need to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Roseville, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

I had a phone interview with HP first one lasted for about 30 minutes. .The interview went on well.I was again contacted for another phone technical interview.It was for 45 minutes, I enjoyed the interview.
    I was told i will be notified either way by the hiring manager.I wrote back to them asking the status of the interview.I wish they could have notified me.It is a basic courtesy that anyone would expect from the company.You put in some effort and expect some answer from the company atleast a reject email or if people are in hold .Why is it not transparent?.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

Process is straight forward, and can take 2-3 weeks for contact.

Standard phone interview about strengths weakness and may include some questions on your past abilities.

In house interview can contain an internal HR rep and generally the manager of the team you could be assigned too, also the more technical the role expect more people in the room such as other team members could be asked to join to assist in the interview.

Technical questions generally are not hard if you know what your doing, if you don't know the answer try not to make up something and would be better to answer it like you would seek assistance from another member of the team or such.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions would vary depending on the job, there are no set of questions that could be considered standard here. if your going for a programming position expect to be drilled on some standard questions how would you start a project and how do you write code; how well do you document your code.

You may or may not get questions on please write a java script on pulling information from a table questions (this is an example) most of the time there we are looking for how do you come up with your answer the best practice on securing a SQL code. you wont be expected to know every little bit about everything in programming I have 21 years of experience and still don't but the more your diversified in your skill sets the better it will be.

1 Answer

Negotiation

Ask what you required of your base pay, if it is in range they will counter and most of the time find something in between this since your job code will always reflect a change in pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Cupertino, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

After initial phone interview, got scheduled for onsite where I Interviewed with very senior people and drilled into various aspects of technical question including data structures and algorithms. Also discussion on some innovative data structures.

Negotiation

I got cheated in there as there were several managers to talk to Ok salary to start with but position given was very low and was told its pretty senior position. Beware of cheats

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Roseville, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Agent or Direct screening from online application. Internal hires usually get priority

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Cupertino, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Hiring manager called me for an initial phone screen. Then a coupleof more phone screens with 2 other ppl.Then was invited onsite for a 1:1 interview with 4 ppl.Lasted 3 hours. Ppl were friendly and concentrated more on data structure questions.