Hewlett-Packard

Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.9

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2014.

Applied at career fair. Interview next day. Basic questions about databases. They were very friendly, but they were only hiring for a few positions from colleges. Never had any contact after initial interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Software Developer Interview

First contact us thriugh HR.
    If shortlisted the candidate gets a call from the hiring manager.
    This is followed by a shrt technical phone screen.
    If suitable the candidate is called for a in-house interview.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a search algorithm that predicts the set of likely words bases on the characters entered into the search field.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in June 2013.

I got a call the same day I applied for an entry level Software Dev position on their website. They just happen to be doing interviews the next day. I went to a one hour interview with a hiring manager. I wasn't asked many technical questions and the ones he did ask were surprisingly easy. He asked mostly about my previous project experience and typical HR questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is a positive thing your current employer would say about you?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

I applied through LinkedIn on their website and was contacted for a phone interview a few weeks later. I didn't think it went very well but I was called a month or so later and told that I could come in the next day for an interview. The interview with the senior programmer went very well and I was told that they would be making a decision within the next two days. I was offered the job the next day and verbally accepted it.

Interview Questions
    • I was surprised that I wasn't really asked any technical questions, I simply explained some of the projects I had completed in the past and I suppose that was sufficient to my interviewer.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate, I was very pleased with the initial offer.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Submitted resume and interviewed with center manager and team manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

I applied online – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

First had a phone interview from someone with the technical team. They asked me a few things about my projects in school and had me write and email them a simple program.

They later called me for an on-site interview... which lasted EIGHT hours. This was my first interview ever so it was pretty brutal and I didn't get an offer afterwards but I did enjoy myself and learned a lot from them. It was a few months ago but I think I met with around 11 people by the end of the day. It was mostly technical stuff such as writing out code for different data structures on a white board and debugging. I usually talked with 1 person at a time except for when they took me out for lunch where I was asked questions by 3 senior software engineers, including the person that did the initial phone interview. The last guy you meet with is one of the managers and he asks some pretty unique questions, I guess you could call them brain teasers.

To summarize, I would really just say to be ready for anything. They have you for 8 hours to ask you just about any type of interview question, general or technical. Just go in, be confident in your skills, actually think about the things they ask you, and be able to back up anything you say. If you don't know an answer to a question, just be honest and say you don't know. And also, ASK QUESTIONS. Seriously, be inquisitive. At the end they just blatantly told me that I wasn't asking many questions which was a big turn off for them.

Interview Questions
    • Hands me a sheet of paper: "Here's some code from our system which recently had a bug and was fixed by the lines added and removed here. (Printed with subversion) Please tell me what the bug was and how it was fixed. There's also one other bug in this code which I would like you to locate and suggest a fix for."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in December 2011.

Very intense interview from a technical perspective. They asked numerous detailed questions regarding some pretty esoteric info about C++. Thing was, I don't think there was ever a job to be had. They wouldn't pay for my travel expenses!

Interview Questions
    • Please describe the 'diamond problem' with regards to multiple inheritance in object oriented programming.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in June 2011.

It was a telephonic interview and mostly people where indian's and they tried to ask in detail about c# programming ,asp.net skills and went much deeper into SqlServer .It was an 2 hr interview .

Interview Questions
    • Question- say if have 150 projects in a solution each project consisting of 300 pages.how would go change a variable say "xyz" from int to string and how would u go change the same in the stored procedures,table's and others without affecting the current functionality   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in April 2011.

I heard of positions available on a hiring event on my city.
    I went there and was told to apply online.
    Y Later had a phone interview, a in person interview and an offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2010.

After Initial HR call, called for Phone interview and then in person 1;1 interview.

No Negotiations. Fixed pay