Hewlett-Packard

Average Difficulty
26 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Hewlett-Packard

Interview Details – First contact us thriugh HR.
If shortlisted the candidate gets a call from the hiring manager.
This is followed by a shrt technical phone screen.
If suitable the candidate is called for a in-house interview.

Interview Question – Implement a search algorithm that predicts the set of likely words bases on the characters entered into the search field.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in June 2013.

Interview Details – I got a call the same day I applied for an entry level Software Dev position on their website. They just happen to be doing interviews the next day. I went to a one hour interview with a hiring manager. I wasn't asked many technical questions and the ones he did ask were surprisingly easy. He asked mostly about my previous project experience and typical HR questions.

Interview Question – What is a positive thing your current employer would say about you?   View Answer

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – I applied through LinkedIn on their website and was contacted for a phone interview a few weeks later. I didn't think it went very well but I was called a month or so later and told that I could come in the next day for an interview. The interview with the senior programmer went very well and I was told that they would be making a decision within the next two days. I was offered the job the next day and verbally accepted it.

Interview Question – I was surprised that I wasn't really asked any technical questions, I simply explained some of the projects I had completed in the past and I suppose that was sufficient to my interviewer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, I was very pleased with the initial offer.

Software Developer

I applied through other source and interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – Submitted resume and interviewed with center manager and team manager.

Vancouver, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in June 2011.

Interview Details – It was a telephonic interview and mostly people where indian's and they tried to ask in detail about c# programming ,asp.net skills and went much deeper into SqlServer .It was an 2 hr interview .

Interview Question – Question- say if have 150 projects in a solution each project consisting of 300 pages.how would go change a variable say "xyz" from int to string and how would u go change the same in the stored procedures,table's and others without affecting the current functionality   Answer Question

Lexington, KY

I applied online and interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – First had a phone interview from someone with the technical team. They asked me a few things about my projects in school and had me write and email them a simple program.

They later called me for an on-site interview... which lasted EIGHT hours. This was my first interview ever so it was pretty brutal and I didn't get an offer afterwards but I did enjoy myself and learned a lot from them. It was a few months ago but I think I met with around 11 people by the end of the day. It was mostly technical stuff such as writing out code for different data structures on a white board and debugging. I usually talked with 1 person at a time except for when they took me out for lunch where I was asked questions by 3 senior software engineers, including the person that did the initial phone interview. The last guy you meet with is one of the managers and he asks some pretty unique questions, I guess you could call them brain teasers.

To summarize, I would really just say to be ready for anything. They have you for 8 hours to ask you just about any type of interview question, general or technical. Just go in, be confident in your skills, actually think about the things they ask you, and be able to back up anything you say. If you don't know an answer to a question, just be honest and say you don't know. And also, ASK QUESTIONS. Seriously, be inquisitive. At the end they just blatantly told me that I wasn't asking many questions which was a big turn off for them.

Interview Question – Hands me a sheet of paper: "Here's some code from our system which recently had a bug and was fixed by the lines added and removed here. (Printed with subversion) Please tell me what the bug was and how it was fixed. There's also one other bug in this code which I would like you to locate and suggest a fix for."   Answer Question

El Paso, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in April 2011.

Interview Details – I heard of positions available on a hiring event on my city.
I went there and was told to apply online.
Y Later had a phone interview, a in person interview and an offer

Interview Question – Tell me your negative aspects   Answer Question

Plano, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2010.

Interview Details – After Initial HR call, called for Phone interview and then in person 1;1 interview.

Interview Question – Why do you think you will fit in this job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiations. Fixed pay

Lexington, KY

The process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in December 2011.

Interview Details – Very intense interview from a technical perspective. They asked numerous detailed questions regarding some pretty esoteric info about C++. Thing was, I don't think there was ever a job to be had. They wouldn't pay for my travel expenses!

Interview Question – Please describe the 'diamond problem' with regards to multiple inheritance in object oriented programming.   View Answer

Houston, TX

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in December 2009.

Interview Details – Hiring was easy and straight, No coding test since it was an entry level position.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Bad, very bad. I was not in a position to negotiate thanks to the economy and I did not receive a relocation package.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard Software Developer interview questions and advice. All 26 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees and interview candidates.