Hewlett-Packard

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

110 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in October 2014.

I was contacted by the hiring manager via email about 1 week after giving them my resume at a university job fair. I then corresponded (via email) with a software engineer to set up a phone screening. We set aside an hour (but in the email he told me it should only take about half an hour). We began with some standard behavioral questions (tell me about a situation in which you disagreed with a coworker about how to solve a task, etc.). Then he asked me about some things on my resume (which language was my favorite and why, etc.). The next few questions were about software development (specifically interested in my understanding of agile programming and some of the benefits of agile over waterfall). Then came the more technical part of the interview. I was asked to tell him what I would ask a customer (to determine requirements) about a tic-tac-toe game they want me to make. Then I was asked what kind of design I would use and what languages I would use to do it in. Finally I was asked how I would test it. I thought the interviewer was very friendly and although I don't think I will get an invitation for an on-site interview (because the interview was based around web development which I don't have much experience in yet) it was one of the better phone screenings I've had (I've had non-technical people try to screen for technical positions which is a disaster).

Interview Questions
  • What design pattern would you use to build tic-tac-toe web application?   View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Phone interviews are not interesting by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster.phone interview and questions related to behavioral HR questions and some technical questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2014.

Phone interview. The interviewer is nice, I was ask a several basic programming questions first. And then a algorithm, then something on my resume, then asking some questions about the company. We share a link for easily typing words during the interview.No behavior questions.Nothing unusual expected. I definitely didn't get passed because I' not sure about some of the questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

On campus interview at a university. I was interviewed by two employees, an HP recruiter and an HP manager. They looked through my resume and derived behavioral questions from them. For example, "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult person?" or "What is your ideal job?" ...etc.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time where you messed up or did something wrong?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

I applied to an open requisition and was contacted by an admin. We setup a one on one phone screen with the hiring manager. The team had a definite need and my skills were a direct fit. The phone screen largely consisted of a conversation about my work history. There was definitely personality probing happening. I was quickly contacted for a face to face interview. I arrived on site and was warmly welcomed and escorted to an meeting room. I had a series of one on one interviews with an engineer who would become my teammate, a developer who I would support and the hiring manager. The questions were focused on approaches to handling problems and ability to deal with changing parameters while problem solving. All the interviews were conducted with absolute professionalism. After the interviews I was told I'd be contacted shortly.

Several days later the admin called me and extended an offer. I was happy with the offer and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • "What's your favorite design pattern?" -- This was asked by the developer after we'd already had a conversation about software design approaches. I'm pragmatic and most of my experience is from application rather than books.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate. I was happy with the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Was asked to write algorithms for string manipulation, basic question on java script

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in April 2014.

It was a very long process for me that yielded no fruit. I was invited to a fast-track session onsite where you could interview with all four branches of their security division. After a stressful 3 hours there, I was able to talk with four people and the ArcSight Logger team responded. Then I was invited onsite after two weeks where I was interviewed by six people on topics ranging from Concurrency to LinkedList manipulation. Then after two weeks had passed, sure that I was going to be given an offer if selected, I was invited to yet another onsite to talk with two people. By this time I was mentally tired of the process and pretty much blew it. So all in all interviewed with 12 people over 3 visits and didn't get an offer. I would have preferred I really didn't have to come for the last onsite especially if I wasn't going to be selected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

They didn't interview me at all. I was contacted by a staffing agency for a contract position based on a resume I had posted online. H-P needed a person with my skills; the staffing agency submitted my resume. Next thing I knew, I got a call from the agency saying that I was hired, and they gave me a start/report date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in March 2014.

First is HR interview. Just want to make sure your resume and your skills. Second is technique interview. What is OOP,what is JAVA features and explain these. Muttiple thread questions. What is dead lock, how to solve that. DATABASE questions,like what difference between 3 kinds of join.

Interview Questions
    • Because I apply the position is JAVA development position, I did not expect she could ask some questions about hibernate and spring MVC,so I did not answer very well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Was referred by an internal employee. Had 1 round of phone interviews with the hiring manager and then the onsite where I met with 5 different people, each for about 45 minutes. If you apply through their website, it's a lot harder to get an interview as your resume gets lost in the system.

Interview Questions
    • As I was a new college hire, didn't get too many difficult questions since I didn't have prior work experience outside of customer service jobs. They basically asked what kind of projects I worked on at school and why I was interested in HP   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate as I was happy with the offer