Hewlett-Packard Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (San Jose, CA).

Interview

It started with a technical phone screen. Within few weeks, I was brought onsite for an one-on-one interview with the team and to meet with the manager. The interview lasted perhaps 1 hour and was technical.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Fort Collins, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview was a simple lunch meeting with the team. No hard technical questions were asked. The team asked about previous projects at school and how I would handle team based projects.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted a week later. Set up phone call to describe the position and gauge my interest. Then set up phone interview 2 days later. Lasted about an hour.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Took a week to start the hiring process. Scheduled phone interview after a week. Phone interview was easy. Asked a coding question and java technical skills. The whole interview experience was good. The interviewer was very particular on java fundamentals.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through Career Fair, got a call from the senior software engineer in three weeks for a telephonic interview. he asked me about my projects and skills. Asked me about the availability and interested role.

Interview Questions

• All In-depth questions on Java and C++, Algorithms and problems solving without using standard libraries.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2015.

Interview

The team manager called for a pre-qualifying interview, a combination of a minimum level of technical knowledge and soft skills. I was then invited on site, where I met with five other members of the team, one after another rather than facing a panel. Each team member had their own set of questions. Amongst them, they covered the entire final two years of the curriculum at my university. There were also more behavioral questions.At each stage, I was given the opportunity to ask my own questions.

While the questioning was more comprehensive than any other interview I've had, the expectations were reasonable, and many questions were phrased so I could see direct applicability of my coursework to the project I'll be joining. When I didn't know something, they moved on without shaming me; when I did know, they'd probe to see how deeply I knew it.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Corvallis, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

I had interviews with Dell, Lockheed Martin and Microsoft last Winter and Hewlett-Packard's interview process was the best by far! There were only two interviews, the first was with an HR manager and a software engineer and the second was with a group of software engineers. Both conversations were very open and polite, They were much more interested in what I wanted to do more than what I could do for them

Interview Questions

• Where do you expect to be in five years? How do you approach testing complex software, and typical behavioral interview questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

Applied through university career fair, and got the on-campus interview on the next day. I was waited for 35 mins after the original schedule time, then an Indian guy asked me about the basic knowledge of Java. After that, he asked me several brain teaser questions. The whole interview was no coding at all!!! Such a surprise.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

Very minimal, very astonishing for a big company. Only phone interview. The company being big did not invest time and effort in the interview as they have a 6 month probation period and also can remove with few days if necessary. They prefer seeing person on job especially if at a client site and if client has no issues. The interview was mainly technical to match the client specifications. There was no verification of the resume other than a background check.

Interview Questions

• It was mostly technical and how many skills experienced in. No cognitive or team dynamics questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, take it or leave it. Since HP is big company, getting in is supposed to be the biggest perk.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied to this position as a new graduate (BS in computer science) few months before I got a call from a recruiter. She spoke to me and got inputs about my background and experience. Then I was called in to do a 2 hour coding test onsite at the Sunnyvale campus. You are left in a conference room alone with scratch paper and pens. There were 4 questions and it was all based on C and C++. A current software engineer will be administering the test by walking in every few mins to make sure everything is okay and to see if you have any questions. I took a picture of the test and I'm sharing the questions below.

Interview Questions

• Merge two sorted lists. You can choose the structure in which they are represented, and briefly state in the comments. You may rely on the two lists being sorted at the start.   Answer Question
    • strncpy() is a function in the C standard library. Here is the description of it from the linux manual page:

char * strncpy (char * destination, const char * source, size_t num);

Copy characters from string
      Copies the first num characters of source to destination. If the end of the source C string (which is signalled by a null character) is found before num characters have been copied, destination is padded with zeroes until a total number of num characters have been written to it.

No null-character is implicitly appended at the end of the destination if source is longer than num. Thus, in this case, destination shall not be considered a null terminated C string (reading it as such would overflow).

destination and source shall *not* overlap (see memmove for a safer alternative when overlapping)

Return value: strncpy() function returns a pointer to the destination string dest.

IMPLEMENT IT.

Answer Question
    • Write an efficient function to return the number of days since the January 1st for the current year given the month (1-12) and day (1-31) as parameters (assume non leap year to keep it simple). Here's the function prototype:

int DaysInYear (int month, int day);

For example, DaysInYear (1,1) should return zero. April, June, September, and November has 30 days, February has 28 and the rest have 31 days.

Answer Question
    • The operating system typically allocates memory in pages such that the base address of the page are 0, 4K, 8K etc. Given two addresses (pointers), write a function to find if two pointers are on the same page. Here's the function prototype:

int AreOnSamePage (void * a, void * b);