Hewlett-Packard

Average Difficulty
102 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – On campus interview at a university. I was interviewed by two employees, an HP recruiter and an HP manager. They looked through my resume and derived behavioral questions from them. For example, "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult person?" or "What is your ideal job?" ...etc.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time where you messed up or did something wrong?"   Answer Question

Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a hiring manager at HP for a position at HP Autonomy. I had a phone interview with the manager for some basic information. After that, I had an in person interview at my university campus during the Fall career fair.

Interview Questions

Corvallis, OR

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – I applied to an open requisition and was contacted by an admin. We setup a one on one phone screen with the hiring manager. The team had a definite need and my skills were a direct fit. The phone screen largely consisted of a conversation about my work history. There was definitely personality probing happening. I was quickly contacted for a face to face interview. I arrived on site and was warmly welcomed and escorted to an meeting room. I had a series of one on one interviews with an engineer who would become my teammate, a developer who I would support and the hiring manager. The questions were focused on approaches to handling problems and ability to deal with changing parameters while problem solving. All the interviews were conducted with absolute professionalism. After the interviews I was told I'd be contacted shortly.

Several days later the admin called me and extended an offer. I was happy with the offer and accepted.

Interview Question – "What's your favorite design pattern?" -- This was asked by the developer after we'd already had a conversation about software design approaches. I'm pragmatic and most of my experience is from application rather than books.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. I was happy with the offer.

Bedford, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in March 2014.

Interview Details – First is HR interview. Just want to make sure your resume and your skills. Second is technique interview. What is OOP,what is JAVA features and explain these. Muttiple thread questions. What is dead lock, how to solve that. DATABASE questions,like what difference between 3 kinds of join.

Interview Question – Because I apply the position is JAVA development position, I did not expect she could ask some questions about hibernate and spring MVC,so I did not answer very well.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in April 2014.

Interview Details – It was a very long process for me that yielded no fruit. I was invited to a fast-track session onsite where you could interview with all four branches of their security division. After a stressful 3 hours there, I was able to talk with four people and the ArcSight Logger team responded. Then I was invited onsite after two weeks where I was interviewed by six people on topics ranging from Concurrency to LinkedList manipulation. Then after two weeks had passed, sure that I was going to be given an offer if selected, I was invited to yet another onsite to talk with two people. By this time I was mentally tired of the process and pretty much blew it. So all in all interviewed with 12 people over 3 visits and didn't get an offer. I would have preferred I really didn't have to come for the last onsite especially if I wasn't going to be selected.

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview Details – Was asked to write algorithms for string manipulation, basic question on java script

Interview Question – No unexpected question.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Vancouver, WA

Interviewed at Hewlett-Packard

Interview Details – They didn't interview me at all. I was contacted by a staffing agency for a contract position based on a resume I had posted online. H-P needed a person with my skills; the staffing agency submitted my resume. Next thing I knew, I got a call from the agency saying that I was hired, and they gave me a start/report date.

Interview Question – There were no questions, since I wasn't interviewed.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in July 2010.

Interview Details – Started with phone call. Then there was a telephone interview with a personnel person. They asked the typical interview questions about previous background and past jobs and what I was looking for in the position. I interviewed at the location with the hiring manager and several sw engineers. It was a pretty standard interview. General technical questions and much discussion about previous job experiences. I cannot remember any specific coding questions.

Interview Question – I cannot remember a specific question about coding. It was more about my background.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiting manager, who asked me about my preferences for a position.

After the initial call, I got 1 HR call asking about the usual team-synergy stuff.

The technical interview was over the phone, and with some general Data Structures questions, asked me to follow a link to a collaborative editing website, where I can write code and he can watch in real time. There were about 4 different coding questions, not too difficult.

Interview Question – What is a deadlock? How does it apply to hardware.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a recruiter who got my resume through the university portal. There was a short phone interview that was mostly behavioral, asking to tell about myself and things I've done. I was scheduled for an interview through the university, but because of snow it was conducted via phone. It was mostly about my professional interests, with a small bit of technical questioning. I am still waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Question – I was asked how you would sort an integer list from a file that was so large you couldn't hold the entire thing in an array.   View Answers (2)

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!