Hewlett-Packard Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

I interviewed with 3 engineers, a manager, and an HR person. I started with an interview at school. Then they flew me out onsite. The interview was an all day long process followed by dinner with the hiring manager. The interview was fairly standard based on other interviews I have done in the past.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (San Jose, CA).

Interview

It started with a technical phone screen. Within few weeks, I was brought onsite for an one-on-one interview with the team and to meet with the manager. The interview lasted perhaps 1 hour and was technical.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Fort Collins, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview was a simple lunch meeting with the team. No hard technical questions were asked. The team asked about previous projects at school and how I would handle team based projects.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted a week later. Set up phone call to describe the position and gauge my interest. Then set up phone interview 2 days later. Lasted about an hour.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Took a week to start the hiring process. Scheduled phone interview after a week. Phone interview was easy. Asked a coding question and java technical skills. The whole interview experience was good. The interviewer was very particular on java fundamentals.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through Career Fair, got a call from the senior software engineer in three weeks for a telephonic interview. he asked me about my projects and skills. Asked me about the availability and interested role.

Interview Questions

• All In-depth questions on Java and C++, Algorithms and problems solving without using standard libraries.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2015.

Interview

The team manager called for a pre-qualifying interview, a combination of a minimum level of technical knowledge and soft skills. I was then invited on site, where I met with five other members of the team, one after another rather than facing a panel. Each team member had their own set of questions. Amongst them, they covered the entire final two years of the curriculum at my university. There were also more behavioral questions.At each stage, I was given the opportunity to ask my own questions. While the questioning was more comprehensive than any other interview I've had, the expectations were reasonable, and many questions were phrased so I could see direct applicability of my coursework to the project I'll be joining. When I didn't know something, they moved on without shaming me; when I did know, they'd probe to see how deeply I knew it.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corvallis, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Corvallis, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

I had interviews with Dell, Lockheed Martin and Microsoft last Winter and Hewlett-Packard's interview process was the best by far! There were only two interviews, the first was with an HR manager and a software engineer and the second was with a group of software engineers. Both conversations were very open and polite, They were much more interested in what I wanted to do more than what I could do for them

Interview Questions

• Where do you expect to be in five years? How do you approach testing complex software, and typical behavioral interview questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Fort Collins, CO) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview and then asked to come in for on site interview...phone interview asked what inheritance was, the manager was nice, he said that he had worked for the company for a long time in new jersey...he did not seem to be very computer knowledgeable he was the product manager..

Interview Questions

• they showed me a java script and then had me decipher it   Answer Question

Negotiation

it was ok

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

Applied through university career fair, and got the on-campus interview on the next day. I was waited for 35 mins after the original schedule time, then an Indian guy asked me about the basic knowledge of Java. After that, he asked me several brain teaser questions. The whole interview was no coding at all!!! Such a surprise.