Hewlett-Packard Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted a week later. Set up phone call to describe the position and gauge my interest. Then set up phone interview 2 days later. Lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through Career Fair, got a call from the senior software engineer in three weeks for a telephonic interview. he asked me about my projects and skills. Asked me about the availability and interested role.

Interview Questions

• All In-depth questions on Java and C++, Algorithms and problems solving without using standard libraries.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2015.

Interview

The team manager called for a pre-qualifying interview, a combination of a minimum level of technical knowledge and soft skills. I was then invited on site, where I met with five other members of the team, one after another rather than facing a panel. Each team member had their own set of questions. Amongst them, they covered the entire final two years of the curriculum at my university. There were also more behavioral questions.At each stage, I was given the opportunity to ask my own questions.

While the questioning was more comprehensive than any other interview I've had, the expectations were reasonable, and many questions were phrased so I could see direct applicability of my coursework to the project I'll be joining. When I didn't know something, they moved on without shaming me; when I did know, they'd probe to see how deeply I knew it.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

Applied through university career fair, and got the on-campus interview on the next day. I was waited for 35 mins after the original schedule time, then an Indian guy asked me about the basic knowledge of Java. After that, he asked me several brain teaser questions. The whole interview was no coding at all!!! Such a surprise.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

Very minimal, very astonishing for a big company. Only phone interview. The company being big did not invest time and effort in the interview as they have a 6 month probation period and also can remove with few days if necessary. They prefer seeing person on job especially if at a client site and if client has no issues. The interview was mainly technical to match the client specifications. There was no verification of the resume other than a background check.

Interview Questions

• It was mostly technical and how many skills experienced in. No cognitive or team dynamics questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, take it or leave it. Since HP is big company, getting in is supposed to be the biggest perk.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I got two skype interviews and one onsite interview. All of the interviews were very nice. They asked some basic questions on programming languages, algorithms, databases and computer systems.

Interview Questions

• Just some basic java knowledge, like the difference between HashMap and HashTable in Java.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied to this position as a new graduate (BS in computer science) few months before I got a call from a recruiter. She spoke to me and got inputs about my background and experience. Then I was called in to do a 2 hour coding test onsite at the Sunnyvale campus. You are left in a conference room alone with scratch paper and pens. There were 4 questions and it was all based on C and C++. A current software engineer will be administering the test by walking in every few mins to make sure everything is okay and to see if you have any questions. I took a picture of the test and I'm sharing the questions below.

Interview Questions

• Merge two sorted lists. You can choose the structure in which they are represented, and briefly state in the comments. You may rely on the two lists being sorted at the start.   Answer Question
    • strncpy() is a function in the C standard library. Here is the description of it from the linux manual page:

char * strncpy (char * destination, const char * source, size_t num);

Copy characters from string
      Copies the first num characters of source to destination. If the end of the source C string (which is signalled by a null character) is found before num characters have been copied, destination is padded with zeroes until a total number of num characters have been written to it.

No null-character is implicitly appended at the end of the destination if source is longer than num. Thus, in this case, destination shall not be considered a null terminated C string (reading it as such would overflow).

destination and source shall *not* overlap (see memmove for a safer alternative when overlapping)

Return value: strncpy() function returns a pointer to the destination string dest.

IMPLEMENT IT.

Answer Question
    • Write an efficient function to return the number of days since the January 1st for the current year given the month (1-12) and day (1-31) as parameters (assume non leap year to keep it simple). Here's the function prototype:

int DaysInYear (int month, int day);

For example, DaysInYear (1,1) should return zero. April, June, September, and November has 30 days, February has 28 and the rest have 31 days.

Answer Question
    • The operating system typically allocates memory in pages such that the base address of the page are 0, 4K, 8K etc. Given two addresses (pointers), write a function to find if two pointers are on the same page. Here's the function prototype:

int AreOnSamePage (void * a, void * b);

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

1 behavioral over the phone interview, then called onsite for four 1 hour interviews. The onsite wasn't that bad. They asked behavioral, technical and just wanted to know why I was interested in working for HP. I got accepted and it was an amazing internship! Also, make sure to be energetic during the interview because it helps.

Interview Questions

• declare a linked list and traverse it. how to reverse a linked list. I forgot to review linked lists but luckily I remembered it from my data structures class. They had also asked about pointers and such so brush up on that!   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Davis, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

On Campus interview after I submitted my cv at the job fair. I was asked to appear for the interview the very next day. I was asked one technical question and other questions were about my past work.
    I talked about my masters thesis. I also talked about the past projects I had done when I worked for different companies. Some questions were asked about that work too. Like what is the goal of your thesis.

Interview Questions

• Given a string find the count of all the characters in the string.
      Given a file with comma separated values how will you read the data.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by the hiring manager via email about 1 week after giving them my resume at a university job fair. I then corresponded (via email) with a software engineer to set up a phone screening. We set aside an hour (but in the email he told me it should only take about half an hour). We began with some standard behavioral questions (tell me about a situation in which you disagreed with a coworker about how to solve a task, etc.). Then he asked me about some things on my resume (which language was my favorite and why, etc.). The next few questions were about software development (specifically interested in my understanding of agile programming and some of the benefits of agile over waterfall). Then came the more technical part of the interview. I was asked to tell him what I would ask a customer (to determine requirements) about a tic-tac-toe game they want me to make. Then I was asked what kind of design I would use and what languages I would use to do it in. Finally I was asked how I would test it. I thought the interviewer was very friendly and although I don't think I will get an invitation for an on-site interview (because the interview was based around web development which I don't have much experience in yet) it was one of the better phone screenings I've had (I've had non-technical people try to screen for technical positions which is a disaster).

Interview Questions

• What design pattern would you use to build tic-tac-toe web application?   3 Answers