Hewlett-Packard

Updated Dec 3, 2014

3.1

120 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Very minimal, very astonishing for a big company. Only phone interview. The company being big did not invest time and effort in the interview as they have a 6 month probation period and also can remove with few days if necessary. They prefer seeing person on job especially if at a client site and if client has no issues. The interview was mainly technical to match the client specifications. There was no verification of the resume other than a background check.

Interview Questions
  • It was mostly technical and how many skills experienced in. No cognitive or team dynamics questions.   Answer Question
No negotiation, take it or leave it. Since HP is big company, getting in is supposed to be the biggest perk.

Other Interview Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Software Engineer Interview

I got two skype interviews and one onsite interview. All of the interviews were very nice. They asked some basic questions on programming languages, algorithms, databases and computer systems.

Interview Questions
    • Just some basic java knowledge, like the difference between HashMap and HashTable in Java.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

1 behavioral over the phone interview, then called onsite for four 1 hour interviews. The onsite wasn't that bad. They asked behavioral, technical and just wanted to know why I was interested in working for HP. I got accepted and it was an amazing internship! Also, make sure to be energetic during the interview because it helps.

Interview Questions
    • declare a linked list and traverse it. how to reverse a linked list. I forgot to review linked lists but luckily I remembered it from my data structures class. They had also asked about pointers and such so brush up on that!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in November 2014.

I applied to this position as a new graduate (BS in computer science) few months before I got a call from a recruiter. She spoke to me and got inputs about my background and experience. Then I was called in to do a 2 hour coding test onsite at the Sunnyvale campus. You are left in a conference room alone with scratch paper and pens. There were 4 questions and it was all based on C and C++. A current software engineer will be administering the test by walking in every few mins to make sure everything is okay and to see if you have any questions. I took a picture of the test and I'm sharing the questions below.

Interview Questions
    • Merge two sorted lists. You can choose the structure in which they are represented, and briefly state in the comments. You may rely on the two lists being sorted at the start.   Answer Question
    • strncpy() is a function in the C standard library. Here is the description of it from the linux manual page:

char * strncpy (char * destination, const char * source, size_t num);

Copy characters from string
      Copies the first num characters of source to destination. If the end of the source C string (which is signalled by a null character) is found before num characters have been copied, destination is padded with zeroes until a total number of num characters have been written to it.

No null-character is implicitly appended at the end of the destination if source is longer than num. Thus, in this case, destination shall not be considered a null terminated C string (reading it as such would overflow).

destination and source shall *not* overlap (see memmove for a safer alternative when overlapping)

Return value: strncpy() function returns a pointer to the destination string dest.

IMPLEMENT IT.

Answer Question
    • Write an efficient function to return the number of days since the January 1st for the current year given the month (1-12) and day (1-31) as parameters (assume non leap year to keep it simple). Here's the function prototype:

int DaysInYear (int month, int day);

For example, DaysInYear (1,1) should return zero. April, June, September, and November has 30 days, February has 28 and the rest have 31 days.

Answer Question
    • The operating system typically allocates memory in pages such that the base address of the page are 0, 4K, 8K etc. Given two addresses (pointers), write a function to find if two pointers are on the same page. Here's the function prototype:

int AreOnSamePage (void * a, void * b);

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard in October 2014.

I was contacted by the hiring manager via email about 1 week after giving them my resume at a university job fair. I then corresponded (via email) with a software engineer to set up a phone screening. We set aside an hour (but in the email he told me it should only take about half an hour). We began with some standard behavioral questions (tell me about a situation in which you disagreed with a coworker about how to solve a task, etc.). Then he asked me about some things on my resume (which language was my favorite and why, etc.). The next few questions were about software development (specifically interested in my understanding of agile programming and some of the benefits of agile over waterfall). Then came the more technical part of the interview. I was asked to tell him what I would ask a customer (to determine requirements) about a tic-tac-toe game they want me to make. Then I was asked what kind of design I would use and what languages I would use to do it in. Finally I was asked how I would test it. I thought the interviewer was very friendly and although I don't think I will get an invitation for an on-site interview (because the interview was based around web development which I don't have much experience in yet) it was one of the better phone screenings I've had (I've had non-technical people try to screen for technical positions which is a disaster).

Interview Questions
    • What design pattern would you use to build tic-tac-toe web application?   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in October 2014.

I applied through the job fair in my college and had an on campus interview. The interviewer is nice and questions are simple. The whole process is about 1 hour. I feel that the interviewer cares too much about my GPA, rather than my skill and capability.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Phone interviews are not interesting by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster.phone interview and questions related to behavioral HR questions and some technical questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2014.

Phone interview. The interviewer is nice, I was ask a several basic programming questions first. And then a algorithm, then something on my resume, then asking some questions about the company. We share a link for easily typing words during the interview.No behavior questions.Nothing unusual expected. I definitely didn't get passed because I' not sure about some of the questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

On campus interview at a university. I was interviewed by two employees, an HP recruiter and an HP manager. They looked through my resume and derived behavioral questions from them. For example, "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult person?" or "What is your ideal job?" ...etc.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time where you messed up or did something wrong?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

I applied to an open requisition and was contacted by an admin. We setup a one on one phone screen with the hiring manager. The team had a definite need and my skills were a direct fit. The phone screen largely consisted of a conversation about my work history. There was definitely personality probing happening. I was quickly contacted for a face to face interview. I arrived on site and was warmly welcomed and escorted to an meeting room. I had a series of one on one interviews with an engineer who would become my teammate, a developer who I would support and the hiring manager. The questions were focused on approaches to handling problems and ability to deal with changing parameters while problem solving. All the interviews were conducted with absolute professionalism. After the interviews I was told I'd be contacted shortly.

Several days later the admin called me and extended an offer. I was happy with the offer and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • "What's your favorite design pattern?" -- This was asked by the developer after we'd already had a conversation about software design approaches. I'm pragmatic and most of my experience is from application rather than books.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate. I was happy with the offer.