Hewlett-Packard

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in August 2011.

Interview Details – phone Interview 08/2011 with hiring manager, got a offer next day and rest is history

Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2008.

Interview Details – Four phone interviews and three on site interviews on three different days. Interviewed by 17 people including HR.

Interview Question – Couple of questions on Unix kernel   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got a bit more than I asked for including 10K sign-on bonus and some stock options.

Dublin, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2009.

Interview Details – They tried to check whether the my experience really helps them in providing solutions what the issues they were having at that time in terms of process, developing stubs, managing team etc.

Interview Question – what is the stub you designed and how it was solution   View Answers (2)

Fort Collins, CO

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in December 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was 1 hr long. Asked Q's on networking, testing, C. They need guys with good programming skills

Interview Question – write a C program to check a string is palindrome or not   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in January 2014.

Interview Details – First of all, had a telephonic call. They actually screwed a bit to test whether I am fit to have a face to face round or not. The very same day HR called me in the evening and invited for face to face on a comfortable time on weekday. Went through two more technical rounds and one managerial round and a HR round. All these happened on a same day. HR informed that they will let me know in a few days. On the third day after the interview the manager itself called for one more round, and that was also a managerial round, who was the manager of that manager. So totally had 3 technical, 2 managerial and 1 HR round.

1st technical over phone:
   Asked me about how what and basic background of my current task. How well i have understood my current project, what achievement and other stuff. Technically, he gave some scenarios and asked me how to you handle being a test engineer. Asked about computer fundamentals, as the project they were hiring for needed that. And finally cleared this.

2nd technical f2f:
   Asked in depth of my current project. Technical stuffs like linux commands, java, and some other basic technical things which they need me to work with. He also asked me what all we had in our engineering academics to analyse whether i can pick up things. Cleared this round and waited for one more technical.

3rd technical f2f:
   Asked me write some programs in the lang i like. He told me about a scenario they come across in their project and asked me how would i resolve and handle it technically. Asked in depth of java concepts as they use selenium tool. Cleared this too and waited for managerial round.

1st managerial f2f:
    He was actually more technically sound and asked me basic to basic fundamentals of CS about what is swap space, where do we come across it, why need it, whats the use and other technical stuffs. As i was from CS i was able to handle his questions and also he helped me in getting the answer a bit, as i had not worked on it before. He was satisfied with my answer as he told me that, "good that you are able to remember your academics". He asked me how much is your current CTC and expected and notice period. He was bit of a funny guy. I loved that. He told to wait for HR round. So thought cleared this as well.

HR f2f:
   She asked me same like how much is your current CTC and expected and notice period. Whats my weakness and strength. A bit of my family background and others. She told me that everything seems to me positive, hope for the best. And she also told that she will let me know.

After 2days i got call from manager to come over again f2f for a discussion. Later manager to that manager interviewed me.

2nd Managerial f2f (different day):
   He told me my responsibility, asked me why testing, why not development and other things. He just judged something out of me and at last he told "Hope we work together", which made a great smile on my face. And he told "wait till evening for the result, as we have shortlisted some more candidates".

Waited till evening. No call. Called that HR. She told that she will let the manager know and he will get back. Waited half an hour or more. Thought negative :( . But got a call from the manager who interviewed me first time.
He said " Am I speaking to _________ . I am glad to tell you that you have been selected amongst the other candidates and you have cleared your all rounds successfully. Congratulations! ..." I was on cloud9.

Interview Question – They asked to rate myself in Java, in 2nd technical round. I said core java 7/10. What is the other 3/10 you feel that you don't know. I said threads, file i/o which i have not worked with. This actually became difficult for me to answer as this was so unexpected.
   Scenarios they ask will be bit tricky to answer as they expect the optimised answer for the same.
  Answer Question

Interviewed at Hewlett-Packard

Interview Details – Got an interview call through an external agency. Went onsite for the interview only to hear from the panel that my profile does not match the requirement. They were very unprofessional and unprepared to interview the candidate and were not aware of my skillset nor the work experience.

Interview Question – Web application testing   Answer Question

Software Testing Engineer Interview

Software Testing Engineer
Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in January 2011.

Interview Details – I was shortlisted for a 1:1 but i was kept clueless about my Job Description, still went ahead and attended the interview.

They started with general questions and asked about testing process, situations I can handle and things like that. I was a bit negative during the interview having traveled about 40kms to attend and was not even offered something to drink. Still gave it my best. The panel said they will give their feedback to the consultant and he should get back to me.

Waited for about a week and no response. Also e-mailed the panel and consultant.. Still no response. At least they must have the courtesy to inform the candidate instead of leaving them high and dry without any response. This show their apathy towards other humans.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard Software Test Engineer interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees and interview candidates.