Hewlett-Packard Interview Questions in Sunnyvale, CA

Updated Apr 17, 2015

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

I was asked to create a deck that summarized and make recommendations around the registration flow. Once that was reviewed I was brought in for 5-6 people to interview me in-person. It was the typical mix of Engineering and Product leads, ending with the VP of Product. My interview with the VP was unceremoniously terminated the moment she established I had no degree. Apparently HP don't screen candidates very well and their exec staff aren't particularly well mannered.

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Three Rounds of interview- I applied Online,Recruiter Contacted me through email though it took three months , followed by interview with Technical Manager, Interview with Technical Engineer Question were related to Database, Performance Tunic, OS , Networking , Scripting and some trouble shooting Questions which were not hard to crack down and then an onsite interview with entire team.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied to this position as a new graduate (BS in computer science) few months before I got a call from a recruiter. She spoke to me and got inputs about my background and experience. Then I was called in to do a 2 hour coding test onsite at the Sunnyvale campus. You are left in a conference room alone with scratch paper and pens. There were 4 questions and it was all based on C and C++. A current software engineer will be administering the test by walking in every few mins to make sure everything is okay and to see if you have any questions. I took a picture of the test and I'm sharing the questions below.

Interview Questions

• Merge two sorted lists. You can choose the structure in which they are represented, and briefly state in the comments. You may rely on the two lists being sorted at the start.   Answer Question
    • strncpy() is a function in the C standard library. Here is the description of it from the linux manual page: char * strncpy (char * destination, const char * source, size_t num); Copy characters from string Copies the first num characters of source to destination. If the end of the source C string (which is signalled by a null character) is found before num characters have been copied, destination is padded with zeroes until a total number of num characters have been written to it. No null-character is implicitly appended at the end of the destination if source is longer than num. Thus, in this case, destination shall not be considered a null terminated C string (reading it as such would overflow). destination and source shall *not* overlap (see memmove for a safer alternative when overlapping) Return value: strncpy() function returns a pointer to the destination string dest. IMPLEMENT IT.   Answer Question
    • Write an efficient function to return the number of days since the January 1st for the current year given the month (1-12) and day (1-31) as parameters (assume non leap year to keep it simple). Here's the function prototype: int DaysInYear (int month, int day); For example, DaysInYear (1,1) should return zero. April, June, September, and November has 30 days, February has 28 and the rest have 31 days.   Answer Question
    • The operating system typically allocates memory in pages such that the base address of the page are 0, 4K, 8K etc. Given two addresses (pointers), write a function to find if two pointers are on the same page. Here's the function prototype: int AreOnSamePage (void * a, void * b);   Answer Question

User Experience Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Recruited from another firm - HP recruiter reviewed previous employment, types of industries, scope of engagements & successes. Lead to several phone interviews and picked up after four screenings. Various groups around the U.S. participated in process. Time frame was two weeks from start to finish.

Chief of Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Weird - distributed model - where administrative assistants to hiring managers might orchestrate interview process depending on group / function and resourcing. It took 3 months from start to finish and was poorly communicated from start to finish.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I pushed hard for increased offer based on actual facts of my compensation. Offer was modified to an acceptable exchange. Do not go in without knowledge of the hiring practices and constraints the company is under in a turn around phase.

Channel Accounts Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Very Good and Through. They didn't try and get you on the little things they just wanted to make sure you were who you said you were

Negotiation

Very Easy going

Visual Designer - Job Number: 1183670 Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Was given a creative challenge by the hiring manager. The person liked my work. Wanted to interview but later changed her mind.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Flew me in for a third round interview. The interview consisted of 8 back to back interviews with various employees within the department. The schedule of who I interviewed with was a little mixed up and different from the initial schedule. Everyone for the most part was nice to talk to but a few seemed uninterested. Pretty straight forward with mostly behavioral questions and a few on the job hypothetical questions.

Mobile Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me after applying for the job online.asked me to rate myself in Java and C++ and then proceeded to ask me some concept questions.

Interview Questions

• What is each part of the System.out.pritnLn ? what is System? What is Out. What is PrintLn()? Why does Java use Super in the constructor and c++ does not?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Sunnyvale, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

First Part of Interview: Recruiter Call (I had to follow up with this recruiter in order to get 2nd part of interview.) Second Part of Interview: 2nd Recruiter call with internal recruiter. Third Part of Interview: In person interview with hiring manager and team member 4th Part of Interview: Turned in deck and word document creating an entire marketing plan for what your strategy would be. (Asked to do this on a Saturday and turn in on Wednesday, I turned in a 12 page report and 25+ page deck by Tuesday.) 5th Part of Interview: Speak to two directors of cross functional teams. (Asked to speak to two more directors after I was told by director that they wanted to send me an offer) This interview process was ridiculous. I was told I was the final candidate and when salary was being negotiated I was asked to come in for the 5th part of the interview process to meet with two more directors. After that they made me wait another 3 weeks before telling me they wanted to hire a director of marketing before the move one. Not only that, they also decided to change the position to more of a social media type role. They were a mess. The people I met were nice enough, but to drag an interview process for about a month and a half is crazy. Especially after telling me they wanted to give an offer and then bring you back for more interviews. Word of advice: Stop wasting peoples time. After all of the time and effort, you could have at least told gave me some feedback to help me going forward. BTW, you are welcome for the free digital marketing strategy. HP is officially off of my list of companies to work for or buy products from.

Interview Questions

• Inperson interview was pretty easy. Creating a complete marketing strategy for them took a lot of time and effort. I would advise not to do this unless you are really desperate for a job, even then they may just be using you.   Answer Question