Highbridge Capital Management

Updated Feb 28, 2015

3.2

Senior Software Engineer, Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Highbridge Capital Management (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview involved a 1 hour phone screen and two onsite visits. The phone screen was pretty straight forward tech interview. The first onsite interview was tech interview with a number of different engineers and managers. All of them were technical and included white board programming. The second onsite visit was to meet more people including head of engineering.

Interview Questions

• Implementing Trees (BFS, DFS). Designing a client server chess board program etc.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Simple interview. Recruiter got to know you, technical question, then brain teaser.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Highbridge Capital Management (New York, NY).

Interview

The first round of interview is got from the school career fair. This is a telephone interview for 30 minutes. At first they ask me about the past experience and the programming experiences, especially for the projects that I did before. Also, they are trying to find some of the basic java questions. Although some of them not so familiar, but I managed to answer them.
    I think the interview went well, but actually it turned out I was reject and I did not know the reason. That's a sad news.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between the linkedlist and the arraylist in the Java?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Highbridge Capital Management (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

Asked about knowledge of hedge funds and various basic finance questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain how the hedge fund industry is constantly changing and explain different types of bonds   Answer Question

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Highbridge Capital Management (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

Asked about knowledge of database, Group By, Aggregation, Index and so on

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Highbridge Capital Management (New York, NY) in December 2010.

Interview

It was for a Java development position. At no time during the two phone screens (30 and 90 minutes) or the 2 hour in-person interview, were any Java questions, or any programming questions in general, ever asked.

The team manager was not interested in how I solved the posed problems at previous positions. He was interested in one thing, and one thing only: how to redesign their current system. He provided me DETAILED specs of the current system, and asked me, in excrutiating detail, how I would re-architect it to provide redundancy, HA, etc. Specifically, he asked for state diagrams, actors/activity diagrams, use cases, etc.

It turns out this agent sent in 12 people for face to face meetings. It turns out there were several other agents who also sent in that many people. The feedback on me was: he's perfect, but we're not ready to hire right now.

In other words, this guy offered a higher-than-high salary range to attract top talent, and then picked their brains on how to do his job - for free. He typed in every word I said on the phone screen, and collected every scrap of architectural schematics, etc, that I drew during the face-to-face meeting, but left anything I drew that detailed how I had solved the same problem at another firm.

Clearly he was only interested in using them to solve his business problem, not to hire someone.

FWIW: the agent has decided not to send any more candidates to this firm as they're clearly wasting everyone's time.

Interview Questions

• Given a system that's architected as A, B and C, how would you redesign it to include features D, E and F with HA/Failover/Redundancy/etc; Draw SPECIFIC scehmatics and relational functional diagrams; provide action and state diagrams; write pseudo code to detail work flow.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Highbridge Capital Management in March 2011.

Interview

I thought the phone interview went well. But, did not hear back.

Software Tester Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Highbridge Capital Management in January 2011.

Interview

The interveiwer asked me a good brain teaser and I didn't work through the answer. I should have. Then he asked some software questions. I gave answers, but he said it was not what he was looking for. Then they asked me to leave.

They try to make the company look really good and fancy. However I have worked with the parent company JP Morgan in the past and it was only average.

I would read brain teaser type books and practice figuring out the answer while a friend watches you. I don't think it matters if you get the right answer. It is more important to show your thinking process.

IT Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Highbridge Capital Management in February 2010.

Interview

I don't remember exactly what happened. The interviewer called right before the scheduled time and said he had an emergency so we had to reschedule. Then he asked many questions as if it's an exam. No description of the position or the organization. If you are good at taking tests, then you may pass him.