Highland Capital Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014
Updated Oct 14, 2014

2.6

Director Interview

It was a long and involved interview process, but they didn't waste my time, and the recruiter was great about keeping me posted on status, etc. She contacted me very quickly after submitting my resume, and we traded emails and calls frequently throughout the process.

I had three phone screens - recruiter, group head, and MD. After that, I had a very involved case study that I had four days and that took ~40 hours of work to complete . Since I somehow managed to do well enough on that, I was brought in to present the case study to an audience of ~10 people (took roughly an hour), followed by a series of ~8 interviews and a lunch. Two weeks later, I came back into the office for three more interviews and lunch with some of my future coworkers.

While this was obviously a lot of work, I never felt as if I was being yanked around, and I knew that they had largely narrowed it down to me (the case study being a good weed-out), so I had no issue with the length of the process.

Director/Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Highland Capital.

I was reached out via email to set up an initial phone interview by recruiter, the day of the interview came and got email in the morning saying recruiter won't be able to do call but will reschedule. Never received a follow-up or reschedule despite trying.

Regional Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Highland Capital in February 2014.

I initially found the position online and applied through the company website. I was then contacted by a recruiter at the firm who set up an initial phone screen with the hiring manager. Following the phone screen, I was invited to visit the home office in Dallas where I had several group interviews as well as a one on one with the hiring manager. I was then offered the position by phone about a week later.

Overall, the entire process was very smooth, streamlined, and professional, which was primarily facilitated by the recruiter's efforts to keep me informed. She was always easily accessible, straightforward, and flexible, which I believe any candidate would appreciate.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing terribly difficult. Most of the questions were "fit" based given the previous two interviews were to ensure competency of the firm, industry, and role.   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Applied through my university’s alumni job board as well as online through Highland’s systems. Was contacted by HR for a phone interview and then again for an in-person interview. In-person interview was consistent with what you see at most financial services firm - including multiple 2x1 interviews which lasted half the day.

Good exposure to senior management - I meet with the head of the business line I was interviewing for as well as several managing directors and directors. As is typical for most buyside firms, the in-person interview was followed by a case study. Case study was challenging but manageable. I received and accepted an offer shortly after submitting the case-study and was pleased with the way the recruiting process was handled.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Highland Capital in November 2013.

Interveiw process was a great experience. I submitted my resume and I received a call the very next day. Interview process was very professional. Recruiting did a good job of keeping you well informed throughout the process. Interviews were timely and they were flexible with times and days. Basic interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any unexpected questions. All questions were what you would expect from an interview   Answer Question

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Highland Capital.

Truthfully, the most unorganized company/firm that I have ever interviewed with. I have a strong background but they have no respect for time--they are late and make you wait for hours on end. It is ridiculous so don't waste your time.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers admitted that they had no questions for me. They really just told me to tell them about myself and that was the extent of it and it took 3+ hours!!!   View Answer

The company was just too unorganized and unprofessional. Working there would be a mistake

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Highland Capital in October 2013.

Highland Capital Management is a top notch investment firm that I became aware of through a third party recruiting firm who thought I would be a great fit for based of my work experience.

The recruiter and I submitted my formal resume to HCM's recruiting manager and I was given a call shortly after to discuss a job opportunity and set up an in-person interview.

As expected, the interview process was very thorough and professional. I first spoke with the recruiting manager via telephone and was then asked to meet for a formal, in-person interview. I was given an itinerary via email by the recruiting manager to help prepare in advance for the interview which was a great help.

I didn't get the job that I initially interviewed for, however I was given a call a few weeks later to interview for a new position that I ended up being a great fit for. After that second in-person interview, passing a skill/scenario test, and reference check I was given an offer.

Overall, the interview process was a positive experience. All of my questions were properly addressed and they were very accommodating in arranging times to interview. I was impressed with the organization by the recruiting manager and the warm welcome I received from those that I interviewed with and the rest of the staff. I was also impressed with the thoroughness because I helped me prepare and get to know the company and staff before I met them.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to walk away from the paralegal field to work in finance?   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate my monthly train pass since I'm commuting from Fort Worth to Dallas.

Communications Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Highland Capital in August 2013.

I was approached through LinkedIn by the HR recruiter. After an initial phone call I was invited in for an interview. I thought it was handled quickly and efficiently overall. I was able to meet with the Director of my business unit as well as two partners and the CIO and co-founder, which I thought was great visibility and rare in companies today. The interview process was 4 in-person interviews, which may seem like a lot, but is to be expected with a company of this stature and talent level. Upon my offer and acceptance letter I was greeted with an amazing gift basket and was made to feel right at home from the very beginning. Great company, couldn't be happier.

Interview Questions
    • One of the very first questions was "What type of salary are you looking for?"   View Answer
    Great offer...there was no need for negotiations, but I imagine they would be flexible and professional in that regard.

Investment Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Highland Capital.

"Very Unprofessional Recruiter ever"

I got a call from the recruiter and scheduled a phone interview. But before the interview she canceled and said that she would contact me again. I never get a call so that I contacted her three times and left three voice emails. She ignored everything. Then, 3 weeks later, I saw the same job positing from the online job board and applied for the same position again. She emailed me and scheduled an interview again.

I took a day off for the interview. I was suppposed to receive a call at 3 PM. She didn't call me so that I called her after 15 minutes later. She didn't receive a all and the gave me a call after 2 minutes.

I got rejected because they don't sponsor Visa for foreigners. However, she took my all day and didn't even say "Sorry".

Unprofessional, Unprofessional, rude....

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Highland Capital in June 2013.

Contacted by senior recruiter, invited me to talk to the group which consisted of the manager of HR, CFO, and CAO.