Hill Holliday Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hill Holliday in June 2015.

Interview

Went through a phone and then two rounds of face-to-face interviews meeting a total of 7 people. The interviews were fine. It was fairly standard asking about past experiences and a walk-through of past work. Everyone seemed friendly which was why it was so surprising when they went totally silent in the follow-up days. I reached out to two different people who helped arrange the interview sessions, and they were unresponsive. For a company that supposedly has a reputation as a great place to work, I was shocked by the lack of professionalism in follow-up since this was the only company I interviewed with which didn't give some sort of communication afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in leaving your current company and coming here?   Answer Question

Platform Media Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hill Holliday (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied to Hill Holliday through LinkedIn. I received an email within 2 days asking for a phone interview. The person on the phone was very nice, and asked the basic questions (ie - why do you want to work here, why do you want to leave your current company). I sent my thank-you email that day and heard back immediately for an in-person interview. This would consist of 4 different half hour interviews. I went in and 1 person was sick so I met with 3 people. Again, fairly straightforward although I could tell they already had per-concieved assumptions about me coming from a small agency. I nailed the first 2 interviews, and answered every question but 1 with the third person in a way that would have made them impressed. I sent my follow up emails that night and now 3 weeks later I have yet to hear anything from them. I have emailed 2 other times to the HR person who set up the process to no avail. I implore them to start giving feedback even if they aren't going to hire someone.

Designer Interview Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hill Holliday (Boston, MA).

Interview

Applied online, waited for a follow-up for 2 weeks, then connected with the company recruiter via LinkedIn. The phone interview followed shortly, then I was invited to come in for an interview. The interview went great, everybody who I spoke with were very friendly and didn't ask any hard questions. They shared some more details about the position and inquired about my skills and experience. After the interview I was told I would hear back in a few days. A week passed, I followed up and learnt that the position has already been filled. Would appreciate some feedback and better follow-through.

Account Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hill Holliday.

Interview

I had two phone interviews with different people on the recruiting team. They were pretty easy going and didn't ask any hard questions. They basically just asked questions about my background and then went over the Account Supervisor positions available. I was told they would get back to me in a couple of days after talking to the hiring managers. After a few days had passed I followed up with them, but got only radio silence. If the hiring manager decided to pass you could at least respond and let the applicant know.

Platform Media Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hill Holliday (Boston, MA) in August 2014.

Interview

Connected with an alumnus who attended graduate school from my college. Phone interview, followed by in-person round of interviews with 7 Hill Holliday employees on various teams. Phone call to discuss interviews and potential openings. Final in-person interview with 5 other employees from the position-specific team. Offer extended one week later.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected or unmanageable, there is a large emphasis on fit and personal drive, creativity, intelligence, and genuine interest in the position for which you are interviewing. No questions about the work Hill Holliday has done thus far, though knowledge of the industry and clients is appreciated in conversation. Why advertising, why Hill Holliday, what percent of time would you ideally spend working in a team and working individually, what do you like to do outside of work?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated. Asked for 10% more, was offered 5% more, settled at 6-7% more than original offer.

Intern Interview

Interview

They focused a lot on my resume and basically would just ask me to expand on each experience that I had written. In terms of the hiring process, I had to network with as many Hill Holliday employees to just get my foot in the door. Made sure my cover letter, application, and resume was flawless before submitting.

Interview Questions

• They asked what I liked to do for fun that didn't directly align with career/academic path   Answer Question

Digital Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hill Holliday (Boston, MA) in May 2014.

Interview

It was a Skype interview with an HR rep who would be helping to oversee the summer internship. The interview lasted for about an hour and it was more conversational than it was an interview. The interview questions that were asked were more based off of strengths and weakness and areas of growth.

Interview Questions

• What moment in your college career did you have to use teamwork?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hill Holliday in March 2014.

Interview

You first submit a fun paper with various questions that encourage creative thinking. An HR rep. who runs the intern program then reaches out to you and asks normal interview questions. Then you are interviewed by your potential department mentors. Then you get awarded the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• It really was not that difficult. Probably the question that they wanted detail about was my college experience and how it helped me as an intern.   Answer Question

Management Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Hill Holliday.

Interview

The interview process was as to be expected for a more senior level position. I met with several folks on the account team as well as people in other departments. Spent a lot of time talking about my experience and why it was relevant to this position and the value that I could bring.

Spring Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hill Holliday (Boston, MA) in December 2013.

Interview

It felt like an eternity, but FINALLY… after applying 3 times in three years during my college days, I finally managed to get an interview. I was so super excited. I was amped. I felt like Goku going SSJ4 against Baby Vegeta. I really, really wanted this. I handed videos, websites showing my posters, my resume, and my transferable skills – marketing/social media/creative arts/business. I pulled out all the stops – I got an email for confirmation. After setting up my interview online I got ready for the big event the next day. I take public transportation (MBTA) so I definitely prepared for that – a full one hour early. Lo and behold to my utter shock and disbelief the train was put on hold between stations – AT EVERY STATION. I tried calling, bit no answer – I WAS UNDERGROUND!!! Rescheduling was tough because all of the slots were filled. This train will be standing by – said the little voice!!!!! Those words will haunt me for the rest of my life. After finally arriving, 15 minutes late, the good interviewer was kind enough to let me stay another half hour. Again I pulled out all the stops – My passion was pouring all over me. I love creativity and I love marketing. But still, knowing there was another young applicant outside waiting behind the glass doors, I knew he was thinking about her and about my tardiness. And I knew, at the back of my mind I wanted to put “Hill Holliday” on my resume. I wanted to break away from those $7-$10/hr jobs. I wanted to show the world and say, “Hey, yeah, I worked at a big advertising agency. Now let me through!” REJECTED – I was rejected. Thinking back, leaving the magnificent glass building – looking up, I thought to myself, finally, a step up in the world. Doing my parents proud and having the respect and admiration of my fellow peers. Working in a cool office, in a high-rise building, in a major city like Boston is a solid goal of mine. You ruined everything MBTA. It’s your fault. And I’ll never know if it was because of being late or because of my raw passion that got me rejected. Screw you MBTA. Screw you!!! And until I’m free from taking public transportation, just know my rage will be contained and under control every time I step onto a no-good, dirty rat/roach infested platform.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer started easy, then quickly picked up the pace. (Probably in accordance of me being late). I did my research online and nailed the most asked interview questions: - What is your greatest strength/weakness? - Describe a difficult work situation/project and how you overcame it. - What was the biggest accomplishment/failure in the position? AND… - Why do you want this job? - Why should we hire you? A big smile on my face with those last two questions.   Answer Question