Hill Holliday Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2014
Updated Oct 10, 2014

Designer Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hill Holliday.

Applied online, waited for a follow-up for 2 weeks, then connected with the company recruiter via LinkedIn. The phone interview followed shortly, then I was invited to come in for an interview. The interview went great, everybody who I spoke with were very friendly and didn't ask any hard questions. They shared some more details about the position and inquired about my skills and experience. After the interview I was told I would hear back in a few days. A week passed, I followed up and learnt that the position has already been filled. Would appreciate some feedback and better follow-through.

Account Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hill Holliday.

I had two phone interviews with different people on the recruiting team. They were pretty easy going and didn't ask any hard questions. They basically just asked questions about my background and then went over the Account Supervisor positions available. I was told they would get back to me in a couple of days after talking to the hiring managers. After a few days had passed I followed up with them, but got only radio silence. If the hiring manager decided to pass you could at least respond and let the applicant know.

Platform Media Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hill Holliday in August 2014.

Connected with an alumnus who attended graduate school from my college. Phone interview, followed by in-person round of interviews with 7 Hill Holliday employees on various teams. Phone call to discuss interviews and potential openings. Final in-person interview with 5 other employees from the position-specific team. Offer extended one week later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected or unmanageable, there is a large emphasis on fit and personal drive, creativity, intelligence, and genuine interest in the position for which you are interviewing. No questions about the work Hill Holliday has done thus far, though knowledge of the industry and clients is appreciated in conversation.
      Why advertising, why Hill Holliday, what percent of time would you ideally spend working in a team and working individually, what do you like to do outside of work?
        Answer Question
    I negotiated. Asked for 10% more, was offered 5% more, settled at 6-7% more than original offer.

Intern Interview

They focused a lot on my resume and basically would just ask me to expand on each experience that I had written. In terms of the hiring process, I had to network with as many Hill Holliday employees to just get my foot in the door. Made sure my cover letter, application, and resume was flawless before submitting.

Interview Questions
    • They asked what I liked to do for fun that didn't directly align with career/academic path   Answer Question

Management Supervisor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Hill Holliday.

The interview process was as to be expected for a more senior level position. I met with several folks on the account team as well as people in other departments. Spent a lot of time talking about my experience and why it was relevant to this position and the value that I could bring.

Spring Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hill Holliday in December 2013.

It felt like an eternity, but FINALLY… after applying 3 times in three years during my college days, I finally managed to get an interview. I was so super excited. I was amped. I felt like Goku going SSJ4 against Baby Vegeta.

I really, really wanted this. I handed videos, websites showing my posters, my resume, and my transferable skills – marketing/social media/creative arts/business. I pulled out all the stops –

I got an email for confirmation. After setting up my interview online I got ready for the big event the next day. I take public transportation (MBTA) so I definitely prepared for that – a full one hour early. Lo and behold to my utter shock and disbelief the train was put on hold between stations – AT EVERY STATION. I tried calling, bit no answer – I WAS UNDERGROUND!!! Rescheduling was tough because all of the slots were filled. This train will be standing by – said the little voice!!!!! Those words will haunt me for the rest of my life.

After finally arriving, 15 minutes late, the good interviewer was kind enough to let me stay another half hour. Again I pulled out all the stops – My passion was pouring all over me. I love creativity and I love marketing. But still, knowing there was another young applicant outside waiting behind the glass doors, I knew he was thinking about her and about my tardiness. And I knew, at the back of my mind I wanted to put “Hill Holliday” on my resume. I wanted to break away from those $7-$10/hr jobs. I wanted to show the world and say, “Hey, yeah, I worked at a big advertising agency. Now let me through!”

REJECTED – I was rejected. Thinking back, leaving the magnificent glass building – looking up, I thought to myself, finally, a step up in the world. Doing my parents proud and having the respect and admiration of my fellow peers. Working in a cool office, in a high-rise building, in a major city like Boston is a solid goal of mine.

You ruined everything MBTA. It’s your fault. And I’ll never know if it was because of being late or because of my raw passion that got me rejected. Screw you MBTA. Screw you!!! And until I’m free from taking public transportation, just know my rage will be contained and under control every time I step onto a no-good, dirty rat/roach infested platform.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer started easy, then quickly picked up the pace. (Probably in accordance of me being late). I did my research online and nailed the most asked interview questions:

- What is your greatest strength/weakness?
      - Describe a difficult work situation/project and how you overcame it.
      - What was the biggest accomplishment/failure in the position?

AND…

- Why do you want this job?
      - Why should we hire you?

A big smile on my face with those last two questions.
        Answer Question

Assistant Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hill Holliday.

Interview process was very casual, more of a conversation between two people. Met with numerous people within the team, everyone was extremely nice and engaged.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, but ensure you are prepared and are able to answer questions as to why you want to get into advertising and what campaign do you currently like/admire, etc.   Answer Question
    always negotiate! They're willing to work with you.

Account Management Intern Interview

Process included submitting an application. Then received an email asking for an interview (could either do an in person, skype or phone interview) Went into their Boston office and had a brief interview. Very friendly and easy to talk to. He simply reviewed my resume and aksed follow up questions on my major, interests, favorite classes, studying abroad, etc.

Service and Support Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hill Holliday.

During the initial phone interview and communications to set up additional interviews, the contract recruiter was very responsive and accommodating. The phone screen went well which led to an appointment to speak with four IT related Hill Holliday team members, including the hiring manager. During this visit to the (very nice) HH offices, I also met with the recruiter before and after the interviews. Each interviewer had a different but similar perspective on the position, but overall the theme for why the position was open and what the expectations were was the same. All interviewers were cordial and friendly. Despite most of them declaring how busy they were, each one spent a fair amount of time with me and the interview schedule stayed on par.
    I thought the interview was positive and I asked the recruiter to let me know either way. He assured me he would. When I did not hear from him within the timeframe that he stated that I would, I contacted him. Unlike his responsiveness when he was trying to bring me in, he went silent. No response. While this is not unusual behavior for a recruiter, it is also a huge flaw in the recruiting process today. HH seems like a conscientious company that would offer their job candidates respect just as they say they do with their employees, so I am perplexed that what seemed like a very well orchestrated interview process ended in the manner it did.

Assistant Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Hill Holliday.

Initially reached out to the SVP of HR via LinkedIn. Received a response to forward my resume to a recruiter. Emailed said recruiter to no response. Emailed again after two weeks and received an OOO message. Followed up yet again to no response. Reached out to the SVP, who bumped my resume along to another recruiter. This recruiter emailed right away about setting up a phone interview for the same/next day. I replied immediately and then didn't hear back from her for almost 48 hours (so the time she had requested for an interview had expired). We finally schedule an interview, and it's under 5 minutes because the position that was open was similar to the position I had just left. She didn't ask me anything else about my background or even tell me about the position. She just said it was similar so it wouldnt work out and HUNG UP ON ME. It was the rudest recruiting experience I have ever encountered.