Hillsborough County Public Schools

Updated Jul 29, 2014

2.8

Teacher, Middle School Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hillsborough County Public Schools.

It varies, but you are typically interviewed by a Principal or Assistant principal. If it is a magnet school, there is someone from the downtown magnet/choice office that attends and there are specific questions about relating your skills and experience to the magnet theme.

Interview Questions
    • What is your classroom management plan? How will you motivate and engage students?   Answer Question
    Set salary schedule.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brandon, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brandon, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Hillsborough County Public Schools.

Very casual, conversation about school, it's culture, teaching and classroom management style.

No negotiations, job offered and accepted

Guidance Counselor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Hillsborough County Public Schools.

Masters degree in Guidance and Counseling Education or equivalent. Also a guidance screening against a panel of many district employees. Also need to pass a criminal background check.

Interview Questions
    • It's the group of "What would you do if a student..." told you something they did illegal or were pregnant, etc.   View Answer
    N/A

Licensed Practical Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hillsborough County Public Schools in January 2013.

Very long application package. Original documents like transcripts are required. Majority of applicants are interviewed. But in order to be hired a school within 10 miles of the area of your home has to need an employee. School board requires a physical and background check. Employee has to pay for these. Drug test is also required. You are interviewed by the nurse supervisor and placed at a school.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses   View Answer
    No negotiation. Salary is set

High School Business Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Hillsborough County Public Schools.

The hiring process when I first began teaching over 30 years ago was much different than the interviews of today. After graduating from college, I heard about a teaching job opening and contacted the principal by phone, then set up an in-person interview. It went well and I was hired on the spot. Lucky me.

Interview Questions
    • One of the most unexpected questions had to do with my size (I am 5 feet tall) and how I would be able to handle the students that were much larger than I.   View Answer
    At the time, the teaching salary was dictated by the school district. So I had to accept the set salary which was fine with me coming right out of college!

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brandon, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brandon, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Hillsborough County Public Schools in August 2011.

The hiring process included the submission of an online application and emailing various school sites a resume. Then, an on site interview was scheduled from an interested school site. Usually, the principal and assistant principal were the interviewers. A variety of questions based on education, classroom experience, management, philosophy, and knowledge of school-based site were asked.

Interview Questions
    • What will you do to maintain or increase the school's scores within the district?   Answer Question

Educator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hillsborough County Public Schools in August 2010.

Tedious. Lots of back and forth between departments. Due to the fact that it is such a large corporation (yes, there, I said it) there tends to be a "one hand doesn't know what the other's doing, and if they do, they're not allowed...."

Interview Questions
    • There really were no difficult questions. Depending on the Principal and the Assistant Principal's wants and personalities.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation.

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Plant City, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plant City, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Hillsborough County Public Schools in June 2010.

It's complicated. You have to submit an online application through the district website, take three exams, and obtain two written recommendations using the form the district uses. Then you submit a resume to the school that has an opening for the type of position you are seeking. Once you've done that, you must call and get an appointment for an interview. It really helps if you know someone, because I couldn't get an interview until a friend of mine, who worked there recommended me.

There isn't one.

Elementary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hillsborough County Public Schools in February 2010.

You must hold a Bachelor's Degree and apply to online at www.sdhc.k12.fl.us after your online application is accepted and you are in the system you must apply to schools with job openings directly and wait for interviews. After you are hired, your professional certificate is activated and you complete a Preparing New Educators (PNE) program.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle difficult students or parents? What is your teaching style and philosophy?   Answer Question
    No negotiating. Everyone is on the same pay scale.

Elementary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Riverview, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL

I applied online - interviewed at Hillsborough County Public Schools in May 2009.

You must have a degree in order to even apply for a teaching position. If elementary level you must have your certification and show eligibility. Usually after your graduation, one must complete a year of paid internship (temporary certificate) Look up on district website, see available positions open at each school, call or personally drop off resume and interest letter for the position. After that, Principal's secretary will call you for interview appointment. Then, face to face interview with the principal and usually team interview. They email or call to let you know within a week if one has the job offered to them or not.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time you didn't get along with a co-worker. What was it concerning and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. The district pays by level of experience and they have a salary scale also posted on their district website.

Worked for Hillsborough County Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!