Hillstone Restaurant Group Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Irvine, CA).

Interview

I walked in and was given a very straightforward job application to fill out. After that was completed I had an interview with both shift managers that were working (one after the other). It was pretty straightforward questions, the managers were super friendly, and it was more like a conversation than an interrogation (why do you want to work in hospitality?). Then I was asked to complete a couple quizzes, the first was a timed test designed to test intelligence and the other was for personality. The next day I had an interview with the GM, who was also very easy to talk to and it ran more like a conversation with key questions thrown in (what do you think will be the hardest part of this job for you?). We also briefly discussed the results of the tests (the premise makes sense but it's effectiveness is a little skeptical). You could definitely tell that selecting the right person is important to them, but it was a little unfair to be judged based off of a multiple choice questions. I was then told HR would be in contact with me for a third(!) interview via Skype, who was once again friendly and easy to talk to. This was the shortest, only last ~15 minutes asking the same type of questions but a little more focused toward my relationship with management and what environment I work best in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Newport Beach, CA).

Interview

Initial interview with chef to see if they like you, and if they do, you're asked if you would like to take a personality and IQ quiz. Assuming you do well, they call you either the same or next day scheduling the next interview. Second interview covers more of the job specifics but more or less still weening out those who would 'fit' with the company. If you move on, the last interview is with the general manager of the store.

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Miami, FL) in August 2015.

Interview

A lot of different steps, three interviews and two tests, one being an IQ test, and a skype interview. They would ask questions then give you a timed test and then ask a lot more questions, I think in an effort to bewilder you, If you stay calm and rest assured of yourself you will do fine

Interview Questions

• Why hillstone, tell me about yourself, Tell me about a situation where you dalt with an upset customer   Answer Question

Waitress Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Super corporate. They gave you an incredibly offensive personality test with questions about your personal life. "How many friends do you have of a different race?"will be reporting them. You can't be an introvert on your days off apparently.

Bartender Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Scottsdale, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was long and unfriendly. I was told to go sit at "that back corner table and wait for a manager". A manager finally came over and introduced herself and then said I would have to take a couple tests. The host came over and gave me the first test. I completed it and turned it in. Another manager came over to chat for a few minutes and then said I would need to take a personality test/ IQ test that is timed. At this point I was thinking the testing is a bit excessive. I'm sorry, but this is a restaurant line level position...I felt like I was under a microscope applying to run for senate. The staff was cold, young, and unorganized. Two of the managers had said they had just moved to the area a couple weeks ago and Hillstone likes to move their management staff around in order to "keep things fresh". I, personally, feel like it is rather difficult to promote a team setting if you continuously switch out your players. It seems to be a rather ineffective approach to "keeping things fresh". The entire interview took about an hour and a half and I met 3 managers. I thought it went well on my end, but I did not receive an offer nor did they follow up with me to tell me 'thanks for coming in, but we have decided to choose another candidate.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a good fit in the hospitality industry?   1 Answer

Restaurant Manager Trainee Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Interview

The interviewer was very rude as she was 50 minutes late for the scheduled phone call and did not send a message prior to her lateness. For being part of a company that prides itself in delivering service excellence, she did not exemplify that at all.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in the restaurant industry?   1 Answer

Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Brief and casual interview. Very nice interviewer, but realized during that the position was not for me. Questions revolved around past experiences and reasons for applying. Interviewer didnt have many questions to ask, it was more about me describing myself and my past jobs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

A lot of interviews, unnecessary ones. A couple of tests. They have their own thing in the interview process and you either fit or you don't. Personality test was okay but make sure you read a lot about the company to know how to answer, they are corporation, not just a restaurant. I am actually from Europe so I didn't find IQ test fair cause it had all feet and inch stuff and I use metric system.

Interview Questions

• A situation you went beyond yourself for a customer?   1 Answer

Server Interview

Interview

You sit down with a manager and basically discuss who you are, who they are, and then the questions come. Basic questions that apply to dealing with people, and they ask you to provide examples of when this happened, and how you dealt with it... again general stuff. Make sure to dress for an interview though. You cant show up in sneakers and messy hair. This is a serious company looking for serious people.

Interview Questions

• What was a difficult customer experience for you. How did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Greeter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Aventura, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

Extremely long process with not much consideration given; met with multiple managers, took two exams, even had a "trial" shift only to be called three days later to say they're "moving in another direction." Very corporate sounding company with quite a frustrating hiring process. Mostly upset with the time invested.

Interview Questions

• What was a time that you disagreed with a supervisor and how was it solved?   Answer Question