Hillstone Restaurant Group

Updated Jan 26, 2015
Updated Jan 26, 2015

3.4

Management Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

The interview process was very thorough and was also very fair in a sense of the questions were not trying to trick you. The people were extremely pleasant as well.

Manager Interview

First there was a pretty standard phone interview to gauge interest. Next was a skype interview. Then if you move on you do a realistic job previe at a restaurant.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you used creativity to solve a problem   Answer Question

Manager In Training Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Found about company from friend who worked there. Great company to work for, extremely professional. Most people who are upset with interview process, do not have a realistic feel for the industry. Process included interview, then a day working in one of the restaurants. Employers were extremely professional and courteous with questions asked and answered.

Kitchen Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Extremely professional, highly efficient, overall pleasant experience; Begins with a phone call, interview over skype, fly you out to restaurant where you spend a half day in a kitchen, half day in front of house with multiple interviews, interview with another HR executive

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group in November 2014.

It was an open call in which their add asked the candidates to bring a downloaded application from their web site, filled. I got to the NYC Hillstone and the hostess hand me as well as everyone there, a tiny form for everyone to put our name and the names of the last places we worked. In other words, they didn't care to look at our application. In the small form there was only name, address and the names of the places I worked. Second, I waited a little longer than usual what it is fine (open call) but then, I see a mouse running in the restaurant. No kidding, a real alive NYC mouse! Last, the manager that interviewed me for 2 1/2 minutes needed a little more experience in dealing with the public and potential employers. She was arrogant and almost condescending. I was so able to see that she was not looking for qualifications but judging me. She was a kid from college that needed some old school education.

Interview Questions
    • That's my point! she didn't ask anything. she was fresh from college with zero experience. I wouldn't want to work there anyways with mouse and fancy fake appearances.   Answer Question

Server Interview

3 interviews, took almost two weeks. 2 in-person with different managers, one with corporate HR over Skype. all three interviews went great, heard back a week later that they had "decided to go in a different direction". Also had to take a personality test and a SAT-type test. Overall, I felt like they wasted a lot of my time and led me on, then didn't give a good reason they didn't hire me

Restaurant Management Interview

Very friendly. Pre-interview at career fair and was interested in more than what was on my resume. Had to speak about what was on my mind. Not many questions about specifics.

Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

It's a multi-step process and includes a realistic job preview. You will interview with 2-5 individuals during the process. It's often a stress interview style so they are trying to see how you react to challenging or offensive questions. It's intense, but it roots out the people who aren't a good fit. it fits the companies style.

Sony Music Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

I had a few phone interviews first with HR then with my eventual supervisor each were relatively short and straightforawrd about my interest in music and my experience in digital media and marketing

Interview Questions
    • The process was relatively straightforward and the people I interviewed with were very kind and interested in hearing from me.   Answer Question

Management Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Met the on-campus recruiter at the Winter quarter job fair. Friendly, helpful, and very professional woman. I handed her my resume and followed-up with an email after she handed me her business card. She set me up for a phone interview within a week, just to get to know me better, why I wanted to pursue restaurant management, etc.
    She found my resume and personality beneficial, then set up a 1:1 Skype interview the next week. We spoke on my personal background, history of employers and roles, as well as my future goals. My interview was a bit different as I did not have a degree in hospitality or experience with restaurants. She found my story interesting and set us up for yet another Skype interview 2 weeks later. Although no offer was put on the table, the overall experience was eye-opening and very informative. The recruiters are very patient and open to students from all backgrounds.

Interview Questions
    • Majority behavioral questions to better understand your management styles, e.g. what would you do if..., how would you handle a customer that..., etc. More of a conversation than interview.   Answer Question