Hillstone Restaurant Group Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015
Updated Mar 19, 2015

3.5

Server Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Long, about 3-4 interview sessions with different managers and then finally a Skype interview with corporate as well as taking the standard timed IQ test. Ask about past dining experiences and last employer. Talk neutrally about all cases as well as professionally because although it is a restaurant job it is treated as an office setting.

Server/Bartender Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group in March 2015.

Over 2 hours just for the initial walkin. Iq test personality test background check including credit annoying and not necessary! Now I'm waiting to do a Skype interview. Young annoying managers no experience they look like children. I won't be taking this corporate bs job

Interview Questions
    • If a manger you dislike criticisizes you how you take it?   View Answer

Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group in March 2015.

Was unable to attend the career fair at school so I sent over my resume through our job portal. Recruiter emailed me and we set up a phone interview, which lasted 15 minutes. Just a phone screening to see why you're interested in the job and the company. Next was a video conference interview, which was more in-depth where the recruiter asked questions to determine if you were a good fit for that position. They got back to me in 2 days, telling me I wasn't going to continue on in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Q: How do you handle stress?
      Q: What would your manager say about you?
      Q: What would your colleagues say about you?
      Q: Tell me about yourself.
      Q: Tell me about a situation in which you handled a customer complaint.
      Q: Do you have any questions for me?
      Q: Why do you want to work for Hillstone?
      Q: How do you feel about relocating?

Answer Question

Restaurant Management Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Met the recruiter on campus and then had a skype interview a week later. The recruiter was very friendly and accommodating. The interview was relaxed and conversational. After meeting the recruiter at a career fair, I emailed him a couple days later and got an immediate response. The online interview happened a week later.

Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

My first interview was a video interview that lasted about an hour. During the interview I was asked questions that were meant to see how you preform under pressure but the questions were more attacking then professional. I have worked in the culinary industry for some time now and have hired my share of staff for both FOH and BOH. I also served in the armed forces so I know what it means to preform under stress. The way I was talked down to was nowhere close to being professional or productive. I was not asked about leadership, management, or even much about the culinary industry at all. I was also asked if I deemed my school worthy of attending because in the persons eyes whom conducted the interview it was not consider an "esteemed college." I did get asked more than once however "what are you thinking about right now?" I still don't know how that relates to my knowledge or my character at all? Knowing I was going to be interviewed I read over a few top ranked business magazines on articles covering questions to ask while being interviewed. I asked the questions posted in Ink, Forbes, and Fortune magazine. Upon asking the interviewer the suggested questions about the company I was not giving direct answers but told that they were not valid questions? They seem to have forgotten that the interview process works both ways and that it is the first impression the company makes and the first impression sets the tone and over all feel of the prospective company.

I was then emailed and asked to fly to one the Hillstone restaurants to do a "working interview." Once again I was not asked about my experience but shadowed a manager around who seemed fresh out of college, and nothing against that at all, just lack of experience was a little frustrating. The managers whom I spoke with and shadowed were nice and seemed motivated about the job. However with this being said I was a bit disappointed that I wasn't giving a chance to show my knowledge but more felt judge on my looks. It was hard for me to ask the managers questions that sat down with us about leadership and what makes them a successful manager knowing the amount of experience that they did have. This left me with a lot of questions. I was also curious why when I did ask KEY questions every applicant should ask a company I was not given an answer and told those were not valid questions. Such as how long does the average manager work with Hillstone for example. This should be a selling point for any company that wants to retain high quality professionals.

Interview Questions
    • what are you thinking about right now?   View Answer

Restaurant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Very friendly interview process. Straight forward questions. They tell you up front what you should expect from the job. Very high end company so you should dress top notch for this.

Server Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group in February 2015.

Had to fill out a personality test and a critical thinking test. Interviewed by two nice managers and then a skype interview. The over process took about one week. Feels very corporate, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important thing to you as far as work environment goes?   Answer Question

Management Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

The interview process was very thorough and was also very fair in a sense of the questions were not trying to trick you. The people were extremely pleasant as well.

Manager Interview

First there was a pretty standard phone interview to gauge interest. Next was a skype interview. Then if you move on you do a realistic job previe at a restaurant.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you used creativity to solve a problem   Answer Question

Manager In Training Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Found about company from friend who worked there. Great company to work for, extremely professional. Most people who are upset with interview process, do not have a realistic feel for the industry. Process included interview, then a day working in one of the restaurants. Employers were extremely professional and courteous with questions asked and answered.