Hillstone Restaurant Group Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2015

3.4

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Interview

The interviewer was very rude as she was 50 minutes late for the scheduled phone call and did not send a message prior to her lateness. For being part of a company that prides itself in delivering service excellence, she did not exemplify that at all.

Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Brief and casual interview. Very nice interviewer, but realized during that the position was not for me. Questions revolved around past experiences and reasons for applying. Interviewer didnt have many questions to ask, it was more about me describing myself and my past jobs.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

A lot of interviews, unnecessary ones. A couple of tests. They have their own thing in the interview process and you either fit or you don't. Personality test was okay but make sure you read a lot about the company to know how to answer, they are corporation, not just a restaurant. I am actually from Europe so I didn't find IQ test fair cause it had all feet and inch stuff and I use metric system.

Server Interview

Interview

You sit down with a manager and basically discuss who you are, who they are, and then the questions come. Basic questions that apply to dealing with people, and they ask you to provide examples of when this happened, and how you dealt with it... again general stuff. Make sure to dress for an interview though. You cant show up in sneakers and messy hair. This is a serious company looking for serious people.

Interview Questions

• What was a difficult customer experience for you. How did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Greeter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aventura, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Aventura, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

Extremely long process with not much consideration given; met with multiple managers, took two exams, even had a "trial" shift only to be called three days later to say they're "moving in another direction." Very corporate sounding company with quite a frustrating hiring process. Mostly upset with the time invested.

Interview Questions

• What was a time that you disagreed with a supervisor and how was it solved?   Answer Question

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Interview

Long, about 3-4 interview sessions with different managers and then finally a Skype interview with corporate as well as taking the standard timed IQ test. Ask about past dining experiences and last employer. Talk neutrally about all cases as well as professionally because although it is a restaurant job it is treated as an office setting.

Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Santa Ana, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Was unable to attend the career fair at school so I sent over my resume through our job portal. Recruiter emailed me and we set up a phone interview, which lasted 15 minutes. Just a phone screening to see why you're interested in the job and the company. Next was a video conference interview, which was more in-depth where the recruiter asked questions to determine if you were a good fit for that position. They got back to me in 2 days, telling me I wasn't going to continue on in the process.

Interview Questions

• Q: How do you handle stress?
      Q: What would your manager say about you?
      Q: What would your colleagues say about you?
      Q: Tell me about yourself.
      Q: Tell me about a situation in which you handled a customer complaint.
      Q: Do you have any questions for me?
      Q: Why do you want to work for Hillstone?
      Q: How do you feel about relocating?

1 Answer

Server/Bartender Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group in March 2015.

Interview

Over 2 hours just for the initial walkin. Iq test personality test background check including credit annoying and not necessary! Now I'm waiting to do a Skype interview. Young annoying managers no experience they look like children. I won't be taking this corporate bs job

Interview Questions

• If a manger you dislike criticisizes you how you take it?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Interview

Met the recruiter on campus and then had a skype interview a week later. The recruiter was very friendly and accommodating. The interview was relaxed and conversational. After meeting the recruiter at a career fair, I emailed him a couple days later and got an immediate response. The online interview happened a week later.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Interview

My first interview was a video interview that lasted about an hour. During the interview I was asked questions that were meant to see how you preform under pressure but the questions were more attacking then professional. I have worked in the culinary industry for some time now and have hired my share of staff for both FOH and BOH. I also served in the armed forces so I know what it means to preform under stress. The way I was talked down to was nowhere close to being professional or productive. I was not asked about leadership, management, or even much about the culinary industry at all. I was also asked if I deemed my school worthy of attending because in the persons eyes whom conducted the interview it was not consider an "esteemed college." I did get asked more than once however "what are you thinking about right now?" I still don't know how that relates to my knowledge or my character at all? Knowing I was going to be interviewed I read over a few top ranked business magazines on articles covering questions to ask while being interviewed. I asked the questions posted in Ink, Forbes, and Fortune magazine. Upon asking the interviewer the suggested questions about the company I was not giving direct answers but told that they were not valid questions? They seem to have forgotten that the interview process works both ways and that it is the first impression the company makes and the first impression sets the tone and over all feel of the prospective company.

I was then emailed and asked to fly to one the Hillstone restaurants to do a "working interview." Once again I was not asked about my experience but shadowed a manager around who seemed fresh out of college, and nothing against that at all, just lack of experience was a little frustrating. The managers whom I spoke with and shadowed were nice and seemed motivated about the job. However with this being said I was a bit disappointed that I wasn't giving a chance to show my knowledge but more felt judge on my looks. It was hard for me to ask the managers questions that sat down with us about leadership and what makes them a successful manager knowing the amount of experience that they did have. This left me with a lot of questions. I was also curious why when I did ask KEY questions every applicant should ask a company I was not given an answer and told those were not valid questions. Such as how long does the average manager work with Hillstone for example. This should be a selling point for any company that wants to retain high quality professionals.

Interview Questions

• what are you thinking about right now?   1 Answer