Hillstone Restaurant Group

3.3

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group in November 2014.

It was an open call in which their add asked the candidates to bring a downloaded application from their web site, filled. I got to the NYC Hillstone and the hostess hand me as well as everyone there, a tiny form for everyone to put our name and the names of the last places we worked. In other words, they didn't care to look at our application. In the small form there was only name, address and the names of the places I worked. Second, I waited a little longer than usual what it is fine (open call) but then, I see a mouse running in the restaurant. No kidding, a real alive NYC mouse! Last, the manager that interviewed me for 2 1/2 minutes needed a little more experience in dealing with the public and potential employers. She was arrogant and almost condescending. I was so able to see that she was not looking for qualifications but judging me. She was a kid from college that needed some old school education.

Interview Questions
  • That's my point! she didn't ask anything. she was fresh from college with zero experience. I wouldn't want to work there anyways with mouse and fancy fake appearances.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Hillstone Restaurant Group

Server Interview

3 interviews, took almost two weeks. 2 in-person with different managers, one with corporate HR over Skype. all three interviews went great, heard back a week later that they had "decided to go in a different direction". Also had to take a personality test and a SAT-type test. Overall, I felt like they wasted a lot of my time and led me on, then didn't give a good reason they didn't hire me

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Miami Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Miami Beach, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

walked in , received and filled out application, was given an immediate interveiw and 2 tests. Had a short wait and was told to come the next day for a 2nd interveiw. 2nd interveiw was with a different manager and was told i would be contacted for a 3rd interveiw with the GM.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you would be a good fit for our restaurant?   Answer Question

Server Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

This was the longest interview process I have experienced applying for a serving position.
    Application was filled out in person. I was then asked to interview with a manager on the spot. I was asked basic interview questions then asked to take a timed test which consisted of vocabulary and math questions. Since I passed the test I then met with one more manager. I was sent home and asked to come back for a final interview with the GM.

The interview process has become much longer now. If you get passed interviews with all managers including the gm you now have to do a face time interview with someone from the corporate office before they offer you a position as well as shadowing a server for 1/2 hr-1 hr in order to see how you fit with the company.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a difficult situation you faced at a previous job and how you were able to solve it?   Answer Question
    I was originally offered a hostess position but was not happy with that so I negotiated for a server position and received it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Houston's posted an ad on Craigslist for a job fair they were having for FOH positions. You're expected to come in between 2-4 pm (the earlier the better). You're expected to complete the job application before arriving so have that prepared along with your resume. When I arrived other applicants were already waiting. The host takes your application and adds it to the pile and takes you to a table where you can wait to be interviewed. The interview is an initial screening process with a manager and is short and sweet. They ask you basic questions. Why Houston's? Why do you want to be in the restaurant industry? Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

Server Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Replied to add on Craigslist which asked that people come in on Saturday, I brought my application already filled out. Spend 15 minutes with a manager who asked about me and my experiences in customer service. I was called on Monday to come in and speak to another manager for 15 minutes, then I was given a timed test (13 minutes) after the test I was given a personality test. Once those were completed I was told I would be contacted again. I was finally called to speak with restaurant manager for 15 minutes after conversation I was told that after a background check they would contact me. After a few days I was contacted to come in for two hours for RJE, I was paid for the two hours after completion. They are basically just showing you what the job entails and also watching how you might work. All I would say is smile a lot. I was called a few days later for an interview with HR person.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

4 rounds of interviews. Just smile, smile, smile, and you're golden.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond for a quest.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan Beach, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group in January 2012.

Long

Interview Questions
    • They did not ask questions really. It was more of just telling them about yourself   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group in December 2011.

Walked in to fill in an application. I was asked to wait, then had my first interview, followed by a 10-minute timed written test. Second interview was a week later, and ended with a personality written test. Last interview was with the general manager, and asked to fill out papers for a background check. I was phoned a few days later and offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult dining situation and what you did about it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group in October 2011.

this was a difficult interview because they have you take personality tests in a certain duration of time, there are multiple tests, and if you are involved in an open interview call there will be a lot of applicants to wait around while the management team of only one or two people review everyone