Hilti USA Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2014
Updated Jul 24, 2014

2.9

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hilti USA.

The experiences are mixed. Some new sales people did van rides some did not. I had a new inexperienced manager and he didn't know how to interview.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't a negotiation period.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hilti USA.

My move to this position came from the base market to the upper market. I had a series of three interviews. The first and second interviews were with two managers from the market to ask general interview questions about my work experience, obstacles/triumphs, my plan for the territory and my expectations. The third interview was a power-point presentation to upper management chronicling my experience/successes with the company thus far.

Interview Questions
    • Not really unexpected these days, but certainly one of the most important: Tell me about a time when a customer was not satisfied and how you resolved the situation.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Account Manager Proshop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Hilti USA in August 2011.

Very long interview process. First interview is a phone call. Then there is a face to face with the regional manager. Then there is a ride along in the field to see if you are a good fit for the company. Then there is a second face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you were to land on mars what questions would you ask the contractors there who were setting up a civilization.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase

Inside Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hilti USA in July 2011.

Everyone makes the company sound amazing and the opportunity for advancement even better. The work is boring and takes no skill. You have to be a kiss-up if you want to advance.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation they asked salary requirement and it was given.. should have gone higher

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hilti USA in January 2011.

I had a very serious interest in this industry and company. I had 15 years in a related industry. I had more than I needed in relation to education and experience requirements listed in the job posting. I did my homework on the company, visited a few of their facilities and reached out to a few current employees. Both times I had a phone interview the interviewers called exactly one hour early. Apparently the concept of time zones evades this company. Interviewers were totally disengaged in the process and seemed to know little about the actual job we were discussing. There is no way I didn't deserve to at least get a face to face interview with a hiring manager. Very arrogant and elitist company in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have project management experience?   View Answer

Logistics Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hilti USA in January 2011.

After completing graduate school on a part-time basis, I was made aware of a couple Hilti opportunities/interest in our logistics graduates through my school of business. Soon thereafter I applied and later interviewed for a couple of different "Logistics Specialist" positions. One should note this this is a broad, generic title at Hilti - actually a Logistics Specialist can mean about 5 unrelated things in this company and have a pay scale that spans about $30K.

The process started with 5 separate phone interviews - a prescreening (HR rep), a meet/greet by a hiring manager (Sr. Director), and a phone interview (Sr. Director). This process was repeated on a later date by a different hiring manager (another Sr. Director) with the exception of the prescreen. All phone calls were very typical, ranging from a half hour to an hour, and consisted of behavioral interview questions, walking them through my resume, etc. If anything, it seemed a little less intense than what I have experienced in the past, which perhaps created a false sense of security. It should be noted that communication must be minimal at this company, as neither Sr. Director was aware the other hand contacted me, despite having offices several feet away from one another.

I suppose the phone interviews were successful, because I was invited to Tulsa for face-to-face interviews on 2 separate occasions (I asked if this could be accomplished in the same day and they said no). For both travel was to be paid for by the interviewee - something I was accustomed to, despite only being a few hours drive round trip. Both times in Tulsa I had 4 hour long marathon interviews where various members of management would cycle in and out. I appreciated the fact they didn't just absolutely grill me or try and pick to pieces every answer I gave them - which can be the case at other places - but at the same time it almost felt as though we were just going through the motions due to the lack of substance, standard Q&A, and interviewers were ill prepared asking many questions that should have already been evident between my resume and phone calls....all of this despite the fact they told me numerous times that I was on a short list of candidates, it would be well worth my time to explore the opportunity further, really playing up all the international experience they could offer me on down the line, etc.

I was never offered a position although was supposedly 1st or 2nd runner-up for what its worth...In fact, after being told very enthusiastically "I'd know something in a week" -- week after week, after week, passed with only one of many inquiring emails returned saying "We still have not made a decision" ---without explanation for the revised time table...Finally nearly 2 months after my final interview I called HR to tell them to take my name out of the hat and that I had to renew a lease locally if I were going to stay, etc...It was only then I finally was notified --- not by either hiring manager but by the HR lady I had spoke with for 1/2 an hour 2 months prior --- that I was not chosen for the position without any sort of explanation.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you solved a difficult problem thinking by thinking analytically...   View Answer
    • Tell us about a time you found an innovative way to ship overdimensional products ?   View Answer

Logistics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I was made aware of an opportunity/Hilti's interest in my business school's graduates through our career development center (regionally respected part-time MBA program and I remained employed full-time). After applying online, I was contacted by an HR rep through email to setup an phone interview. Days later I was administered a 30 min. phone interview which was very basic, topical, behavioral questions. Every response I gave was on record as she typed it into the computer, and later read by various managers. Overall this first step was probably what most would expect.

Not very long afterwards I was contacted by 2 separate Sr. Directors - both hiring for unrelated positions. There was some confusion and very little coordination of efforts between these guys who had offices only feet from one another - it seems that both had thought they'd posted a position under the generic heading "Logistics Specialist" or "Logistics Analyst" but in fact only one had done so. I was ok with this b/c now I was effectively doubling my chances for success by interviewing for multiple roles, it just seemed disorganized on their part. To be brief, one role was more invovled with domestic trans, carrier selection, etc.The other was a little less operational and more analytical in nature - it involved materials purchasing, supply chain, sales forecasting, etc.

Both Sr. Dirs. followed the same process: an initial phone call for maybe 30 minutes getting to know each other, then setting up a more formal phone interview for 30 minutes...Much of this was a repeat of the initial phone interview or trying to take a deeper dive into certain answers. Both were followed by an invitation to come interview in Tulsa, OK to their HQ. I was reluctant to travel to Tulsa and spend time away from work but both managers assured me I was on a short list of candidates and it would be "well worth my time"...So on my own dime (which is highly unusual in my experience) - I traveled 4 hours round trip TWICE - they told me it wasn't possible to interview for both positions in the same day...On both occasions at Hilti I had a "marathon" of interviews - 4 interviews an hour long a piece.

It was standard fare for interviews, and my interviewers ranged from more "junior directors" if you will, to future colleagues, to people from other departments who I'd be working together with on cross functional teams. If anything the interview process lulled me into a false sense of hope, being that nobody picked at my answers, everyone seemed really down to earth, etc. Then again looking back it may have been as if some were just going through the motions. So I left Hilti feeling pretty good about things and was told I'd know something for certain in a week.

To give balance to this post I'll have to say I really liked the job descriptions, the promises of international opportunities, the seemingly fair pay (mid 50s to low 60s). However I was never extended an offer...In fact, a week passed and I heard nothing. I reached out to contact them unsuccessfully. Another week passed with only an email, "we haven't made a decision yet" - never explaining the reasoning for the revised time table and leaving me hanging in the balance over a lease that was about to expire. I shot off a couple more emails and left a vmail trying to explain my predicament, solicit more information, etc. Finally a month after my last interview I called irrate and demanded to speak to someone - I was pretty certain I didn't get the position at this point, but I thought it was gutless and cowardly to leave someone hanging without returning emails, phone calls, etc...Still, the admins told me nobody was available, they were in meetings, etc...The next day the original HR girl I had spoke with returned my call saying they went with different candidates but I "was basically the runner-up" - wow - great solace that is.

In the end I spent about 8 hours driving, 12 hours interviewing, $200 of my own money, countless time prepping for these interviews --- only to get a non response from two "gentlemen" who begged me to come up to Tulsa...They didn't even extend me the courtesy of knowing what the deciding factor was in their candidate selection so I could be armed with that knowledge going into my next interview....Not a really classy place in my opinion. Hey - everybody has to have a job and I can't blame someone for interviewing there - but if your lucky enough to have several interviewing options and are trying to decide which to go with - I'd say pass on Hilti...

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time you found an innovative approach to doing something through analytical thinking"   View Answer
    • All the questions were "typical" - behavioral interviews are never easy and nothing posted here will prepare you any better than you'd be otherwise (unfortunately)   Answer Question

Account Manager III Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hilti USA in November 2010.

Slow interview process. The interview process is not difficult, just slow. From what I hear of others, it depends on the hiring manager. Some managers in the field are pretty good at the interview process. If you interview with a good Regional Manager and a good Division Manager you will know it. There are only a few good ones out there. Ask a lot of questions and you will spot the idiots. Hilti is wants to hire strong talent but does not know how to deal with people who bring in new ideas. So do not say you will change the Hilti world--you will get labeled as "Well Placed" which means you will never get promoted. The truly talented people end up leaving to get better positions at other companies. Hilti has a good reputation to the outside world so if you work it right, it could be a good stepping stone. If you have a MBA and think it will help you get somewhere because you have increased your human capital, be careful. Hilti will tell you what your want to hear but I have heard too many people claim they heard the same lies as I heard. If you like starting at the same level or position as someone who has NOT paid the price in getting a MBA and working as hard as you did to better yourself, than jump right in and plan on staying there a long time. Be really careful when they use the term "strategic hire". You will get considered for promotion just like everyone else and if someone has a manager who likes them more than your manager likes you, guess who gets promoted.

Interview Questions
    • I do not remember any difficult questions. The questions are behavioral questions so just have PAR(problem-action-result) stories ready. Be excited, they want excited people.   Answer Question
    You either take what they offer or do not get the job. There is no negotiation even when going for a promotion to another position. Hilti knew the job market is tough when I applied for the position. Things are changing and now many people are leaving in late 2013 and 2014. These are employees who have been there for a long time and now the market is better so they are getting better paying jobs.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hilti USA in October 2010.

Very long process. Took over three months from initial interview. Felt like they were stringing me along or perhaps they were just not that interested but I have learned that this is the norm. There were too many layers to meet with and it seemed like you were the at the bottom of the priority list. If you survive this you still have the two weeks in Oklahoma before you are cleared to work.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you to do a mock sales call. Hint there is no right way of doing this correctly. They will beat you down I think they want to see how you handle pressure   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Hilti USA in August 2010.

The interview processes consisted of an phone screen first. Then after the phone screen I was asked to go visit customers with one of their sales reps. We visited sites as well as offices. Expect to be on the job and get a little dirty. Not for people who want to sell to offices only. The vehicle we rode in was marked with the company logo. Not really the car you want to drive to the store. The sales rep even made comments that customers laugh at the funny looking vehicle. The company might want to consider using the industry standard like a truck. Also, if you have a baby don't expect to put a car seat in your company vehicle. It won't happen. I then interviewed with the managers at their retail store. I have to say not sure about the one of the managers not sure if I would want to work for him.
    I was interviewed again and made an offer but for Atlanta the salary was ridiculous. They want a lot from their sales reps but in Atlanta I can go with a higher industry with better pay. Overall positive but I think their expectations are a little unrealistic. I think this would be a good foundation in sales but if your good the impression is that you leave.

Interview Questions

Offer with more chance of advancement
    appears importing talent