Hilti Worldwide Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

3.1

Graduate Program Interview

Interview

Interesting interview, some tough questions especially about the business model and why exactly Hilti and no competitor. Specific questions: Why do you think this Business Model is successful? What achievements are you most proud of? How would you deal with a client complaining about the product?

Interview Questions

• Explain the Business Model of Hilti and how it is different from competitors in the market?   Answer Question

Warehouse Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hilti Worldwide (Houston, TX) in November 2011.

Interview

I had three phone interviews.I interviewed with a recruiter, the hiring manager, and the hiring manager's counterpart. The recruiter and and hiring manager's interviews went very well. They basically asked behavioral and situational questions. The hiring manager's counterpart was the difficult one. He dug into topics like relocation (If they wanted to hire me right now and go to Seattle, WA would I do it.). I explained to him that I was willing to relocate but not at the present time. Then he drilled me about why I wanted to leave my present employer. I explained to him, as I did the recruiter and the hiring manager, that the company had a organizational restructuring and a lot of positions were phased out, limiting promotion opportunities. He asked what my manager said in regards to my future and I thats when I began to wonder why was he asking that type of question. I told him that my immediate supervisor did not communicate with me in regards to that and I have evaulated every opportunity availabe with my present employer and there was no opportunity that I felt matched the path I wanted to travel. He said he found that hard to believe because thats not how they would do it at Hilti. The interview had no structure to it and I knew before we hung up that I was no longer a candidate.

Interview Questions

• What if we wanted to hire you right now and send you to Seattle, WA.? Would you be able to go.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hilti Worldwide in August 2015.

Interview

I sent the Cv and they contact me for a briefly phone call for test my motivation and colloquial skills, interviewer was very kind and polite, they asked the routinary questions for test the motivations and how much do you know about the job, your salary expectations your attitudes toward join them, they are very concerned about fluency in english and capability to work in team.

Outperformer Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hilti Worldwide (Moscow (Russia)) in June 2015.

Interview

I have got contacted via Linkedin and was asked to send my CV to Hilti. After 2 months I received an invitation for a skype interview with an HR and then with a Regional Manager. The interviews were casual and nice conversations which I enjoyed a lot. The questions were related to my previous experience, my life, travels, education, languages I speak and my future aspirations. I was selected for the Assessment Center in 2 weeks after the second interview. The Assessment Center was overall a pleasant experience which was very well structured and organized, full of great people and interesting tasks (all costs covered by Hilti). The Feedback: The feedback was overall unstructured and unclear. They pointed out that I was too international (move between countries too much), did not change the tone of my voice enough while presenting, I overall speak too much and I did not answer some questions (they could not tell which questions I didn't answer when I asked). The most constructive feedback was about reassurance - I did not ask often if I am understood or if I need to clarify my arguments. Overall, I scored 3 on average out of 4 on their scale, improvement areas were not presented and important areas not emphasized. In general, even though the selection criteria were hard to understand, especially because they selected one lady who jumps/runs away whenever she hears the sound of a drill. I believe that people who were ready to stay in their own countries in the long term were preferred. Also being fluent in Russian was a factor since the HQ for Eastern Europe is in Moscow, hence all 3 of the selected candidates spoke in Russian fluently. Final Remarks: I went to the assessment center not exactly wanting to work in the company, especially because it was pointed out that moving to Moscow would be necessary in the longer term. However, being there and meeting the people, I was impressed by the corporate culture and overall quality of personnel that they have: they were open, had sense of humor, challenging, inspiring and emitted love for the company (many of them worked for Hilti for more than 10 years). Overall, Hilti seemed like a great place to work and the "final 12" who were selected for the AC where encouraged to apply again. Nevertheless, I left with doubts regarding flexibility and possibilities to move between countries as different people were sending different messages and my feedback seemed to have clashed with what was advertised for this position. They were also quite secretive about the salary (for the same position in Austria the salary of 35k euros was advertised, for other regions, especially Eastern, Central Europe and the Baltics, the salary wasn't discussed. I sensed that the salaries were overall too low when taking into account the level of education of the candidates (our field trip guys mentioned something around 1500 euros per month after taxes in Moscow).

Interview Questions

• The tasks involved: 1. Self-Presentation: they asked us to be creative and present ourselves, answering questions about your previous experience ("How did your career develop so far?" , the motivation for the program ("What motivated you to apply for the Outperformer Program?" and the future goals "What are your goals after you complete the Outperformer Trainee Program?" No Powerpoints or any other multimedia/technology was allowed, - we got to use only flipcharts (10min to prepare them and then we were asked to present). 2. Group Discussion: we were given some time to read a report about a company who had some decisions to make regarding the timing of introducing a new product to the market or extending/stopping the old product line. We were expected to discuss customers' perceptions (functionality, safety, battery life etc.) survey, some management emails and some basic financials about the company and reach a consensus on how to proceed. 3. Individual Case Study: we were given 1h to read and sort through a lot of information (mainly management emails, financials, complaints, organizational chart, etc.) and come up with a strategy for a company facing Cash Flow Problems. The company overall was weak organizationally, financially, marketing and supply chain wise, thus we were asked to suggest improvements. 4. Role Play: we were asked to speak with one of the team leaders regarding his poor performance and resolve some issues that he had with the team, Trade Union, safety and missed deadlines. The person was overall reluctant to speak, he was an arrogant and uncollaborative character and did not give any useful information. Thus being persistent and asking many questions was the right approach to resolve the problems.   Answer Question

Grew Hilti Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sesto San Giovanni (Italy)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Hilti Worldwide (Sesto San Giovanni (Italy)) in May 2015.

Interview

The process started with a really short phone interview, with general questions. After that i took part into a group assessment with 12 people. First step was a self presentation in English of 5 minutes. then started the group assignment, where participants, as a group, had to fill lists of five characteristics needed in different context. Finally, always as a group, the participants had 40 minutes to solve a business case. At the end they presented the company and answered questions. They gave the feedbacks right after the presentation and I was not selected for the next steps.

Interview Questions

• No interview was done during this step of the assessment process.   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hilti Worldwide (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Lengthy phone interview (1.5 hours) with recruiter approx. 4-6 weeks after applying. Very informative in terms of learning about the business and stakeholders as well as testing my reasons for applying. Questions were extremely detailed and specific, particularly around my employment history. This was followed by in person interview with exiting HRBP (whose role this was replacing) & business stakeholder conducted at a hotel near their site.

Interview Questions

• Competency based question on managing and influencing stakeholders.   1 Answer

Team Member Interview

Interview

Talked and discussed the position and whether I had the right behavior. Set a good impression of the company, leadership and its culture. Gave the impression if you work hard and deliver results you will get somewhere in the company

Graduate Management Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hilti Worldwide (Manchester, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Telephone interviews as I was not in the UK. They ideally prefer to have you onsite. Moreover, an assessment centre plays a big part in their decision making process and this can be taken worldwide.

Interview Questions

• Very general questions. They want people who are fully committed to a very long career within the Hilti group. You need to have an in depth understanding of their product sales etc.   Answer Question

IT Systems Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by e-mail to arrange a phone interview. Phone interview was with HR manager and team leader from Liechtenstein. They asked about previous work experience, working style and future career plans.

Interview Questions

• Question about future career plans. Answer must be aligned with the company policy and position applied.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hilti Worldwide (Munich, Bayern (Germany)) in November 2014.

Interview

Es gab insgesamt 4 Vostellungsgesprächs, 3 mit Business Leute und 1 mit HR. Die Erfahrung mit Business Leute war positiv aber HR nicht besonders gut. Der Person war zu konservativ und konnte bestimmte Änderungen in meiner Karriere nicht verstehen und habe sie schlecht genommen. Mann möchte sehr gut verstehen, wieso will man bei Hilti arbeiten und kann 10-15 Jahre lang beim Unternehmen bleiben