Hilton Worldwide Interview Questions

Updated Jul 5, 2015

2.7

Assistant Director of Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hilton Worldwide (Chicago, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied for job online, received an email from HR the next day including a link to download the app 'HIreVue'. You are given a deadline of approx. 3 days until when you can interview yourself via this app. After preparing to take the interview via my computer, it turned out that the microphone was not working properly, so I had to take it via my cell phone. Odd experience, since there is no human interaction whatsoever. Once you hit the start button, you have 30 seconds to read the question and then 3 minutes to answer it. I felt that my social media skills were being tested rather than my qualifications for the job.

Interview Questions

• 'What would your ideal job be?' and 'What was your biggest success?' were the only two professional questions asked. The other two were 'What do you do for fun?' and 'Do you prefer this way of interviewing over the traditional way/".   Answer Question

Front Desk Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hilton Worldwide (Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview was three way process: first was the initial phone interview with the rooms division manager. After that I went for a face to face interview one week after the phone interview. It took another two weeks following up to confirm orientation day.

Interview Questions

• They basically look for one's ability to cope with stress..   Answer Question

Negotiation

The starting salary is low, however you just need to get into the system & you can explore other opportunities within the Hilton family...

Application

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Hilton Worldwide.

Interview

Very long process. Hiring manager/decision maker had busy travel schedule and recruiter often didn't have update. Hiring manager told me I would come back for group interview. Over a month went by and that group interview never happened. Recruiter called and told me moving in another direction - ultimately was filled with internal employee.

Interview Questions

• Assuming you get the job, and we are sitting here at your 1 year review, what will that look like? What will you have accomplished?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Hilton Worldwide (Tampa, FL) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online in late May and completed the personality test and call center simulation the same day. Within about 3 weeks I received an email inviting me to conduct the video interview, which consists 20 questions --- only 5 of which are actual recorded video answers -- the rest were essay questions I had to type in.

About 2 weeks after that, I was emailed to schedule the final telephone interview with my assigned recruiter. I did so upon receipt of the email from her assistant, and was scheduled for the following week. Got on the call, and was almost immediately rescheduled because the reception wasn't clear on her end -- I later realized. Was assured that this in no way would impact my hire-ability because it was a common occurrence since barely anyone had land-lines anymore (I do, but I only use it for emergency services and to send faxes). I did sense some sarcasm in the long lecture I got about how important a phone interview is, but I let it ride--chalked it up to being part of corporate life and dealing with different personalities--and possible exhaustion on her part. My interview was in the afternoon and she was about 10 minutes late in calling.

But, conducted the rescheduled interview 2 days later. Lots of "tell me about a time" behavioral questions. I thought I did well. Standard stuff. I know I all but aced the role play because they furnish you the questions/scenarios days BEFORE the interview and I actually answered ALL OF THEM beforehand in writing, and did research to ensure I wouldn't trip up. The role play ran smoothly and I even got the outcome I wanted (from a sales perspective), despite hesitation from the "client" . Was told I'd hear back within 5 days. I sent my thank you letter (as I normally do for any job interview, AND as was suggested by Hilton in the prep packet they email you).

Exactly 7 days later, I got the impersonal "reject" email. I wasn't too upset because they had posted the same exact job AGAIN earlier that week for a more preferred shift, so I applied for that one while I was waiting to hear back about the one I actually interviewed for. I emailed my recruiter and the main HR department for feedback on my interview and asking if I could be considered for the new one I applied for (not an unconventional request). Got read receipts for both emails but no answer. TODAY (exactly 7 days later), I got the second impersonal "reject email". So, I don't know. Maybe I'm over-qualified (they prefer a Bachelors degree and I have a Masters), I came off too professional and well-versed in business operations (aka, a potential troublemaker) or my Hilton employee referral wasn't up to snuff (guilty by association).

I initially thought that maybe I didn't have a perfect "phone voice" but I know of others that work for them in this capacity, with similar voices AND mine could CLEARLY be heard on the video interview I submitted 3 weeks prior.

So back to square one with the confusion. But I figured I'd a provide a not-so-glamorous viewpoint of the hiring process for THIS particular position, and maybe find other lost souls like me that have NO IDEA as to why they weren't ultimately hired.

They hire for this job in Florida and Texas A LOT -- as in a class every month -- so turnover must be pretty high. Maybe I should count my blessings?

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you didn't reach a goal and how did you deal with that -- to ensure it wouldn't happen again? (paraphrasing)   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Hilton Worldwide in July 2014.

Interview

Had to fill out an online application and do a personality test along with a stimulation of working in a call center. It was really easy but time consuming because you have to listen to the whole "training" first. Shortly after that was submitted I got an email to do a video interview on hirevue. It said the process would take 70 minutes but only took around 10. Only a few questions were video related and they give you 3 minutes to answer. The rest were all "essay" questions mostly requiring yes or no responses. A week or so later I received a call to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was a few days later and very challenging. The whole process took an hour long. The questions were ones I really had to think about to come up with answers. You then have to do a role play over the phone with the interviewer. They give you the information before hand so make sure you prepare! You must go step by step through a reservation process and must ask discovery questions to determine the best room to sell. I ended up not selling the room and I was confident I bombed the interview but got a call 2 days later with a job offer!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to come up with a new solution to something and it failed. Tell me what it was, why it failed, and what you did as a result.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They go over the pay you decide what schedule you will be working.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hilton Worldwide (Miami, FL) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied through their website and was called a week later to meet with the HR manager. The interview lasted 15 minutes, and the second I left, I knew I did not want to work there. The HR manager did not tell me much about the position, she just reiterated that I would be answering e-mails and phone calls. She didn't even speak highly of the company. Even though I knew I didn't want to job, I still like to follow-up, out of courtesy. To my surprise, this company does not let their candidates know that they weren't chosen for a position or that it was filled.

Interview Questions

• The HR manager kept asking me if I would be challenged with answering e-mails and taking phone calls.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hilton Worldwide in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online, first thing taking their fit for the program "test" on the Hilton platform. I had to answer some very generic questions mainly related to the personality and hospitality industry by filling in the fields and ticking the boxes followed by uploading my CV and motivation letter. Within a week I was contacted by someone from HR by Email and invited for a digital interview on HireView. This consisted of answering some questions (pretty usual for hospitality interviews). I recommend using the allowed practice questions as it can be quite awkward and uncomfortable talking to the camera by yourself and just answering some questions, rather than having a dialogue. Consequently I had received a 2nd email from the same lady, saying that my application is still considered and that I am invited to complete their online reasoning and personality assessment after which, if successful, I would be invited to meet wit the Senior Team at the assessment center in Luton, U.K. Within a couple of days I received another email from the same person saying that "...after very careful considerations, unfortunately my application did not succeed...". I sent an email to the HR person asking for feedback towards why I did not go further in the selection process but never got anything back.

Interview Questions

• The reasoning and personality assessment by far.   1 Answer

Communications Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hilton Worldwide (Atlanta, GA) in July 2014.

Interview

Pretty straight forward interview but the manager kind of talked the entire time. i was actually in there close to an hour listening to her tell me about the job and what it entailed and what kind of employee she was looking for. I was probably only asked one or two questions.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hilton Worldwide (Addison, TX).

Interview

They asked the typical interview questions, including why Hilton. There was a case study that was given, with 20 min to complete. I had never been in this type of interview so it was a bit unexpected to me.

Interview Questions

• 20 Min case study, basing one companies revenue against 3 others.   Answer Question

Reservation Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hilton Worldwide (Tampa, FL) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process is an interesting one, and a first for me. Few interviews are pleasant for anyone, but this one is right up there with the best of them so far.

You can start the process by going to the Hilton Worldwide website, filling out your profile, uploading a resume and a cover letter (as I did), and then move on to searching for jobs in your area. Reservation Sales Specialist jobs are only in Tampa and Dallas in the U.S. After the basic questions, there is a personality profile and a math test, which includes percentages - not tough, but a few layered questions that need a bit of thought. The personality profile asks questions like, "Do you like to be in a crowd of people," "Do you enjoy teamwork," and "Do you like art?" There are a few on anger management as well. In this section, I would imagine they are looking to see if you are the sort of person that would easily be sparked into an argument with clients. I was surprised that I passed this segment - not that it was difficult, but because there were a lot of questions - I think they can get a pretty good idea of the kind of person you are with your answers. This section on the Hilton website took me approximately two sittings. It is a bit tedious, but understandably so.

Unlike the previous reviewer, I received an email from their virtual interviewer, HireVue, the next day. It looks like as it gets closer to the Orientation date/Training schedule, the quicker you will hear from them. I applied for both the part time and full time position. The full time orientation is on July 7th, 2014, which is only a few weeks away.

I received three emails. One asks you to click on a link that will take you to a video of more about Hilton as a company and three call simulations, including up-selling. Sadly, the volume on call part of the video was so low, it was impossible to actually hear what was going on. There is also a link to a .iso image that they ask you to download and burn to a disc, then start up your computer from the disc. The disc you burn checks to see if you have a wired connection to the internet, how much ram, etc, and apparently sends Hilton an email letting them know that if your computer has passed this part of the interview. I think it also checks on exactly how computer saavy you are. Really, if you follow the directions, you should be fine. Mine went off without a hitch. They request you complete this step within 24 hours, however, if you are pressed for time, they suggest you do the HireVue interview first.

The next email asks you to take the virtual interview, and the third email is a reminder to take the interview;D.
    The virtual interview is interesting. I had about 5 or 6 video questions in which they give you only 30 seconds to prepare, just like a real interview. One question was about do you, and how do you motivate people, another was asking the definition of integrity, and of course, explain which jobs in your past qualify you for this position, and why do you think you will be good at this job, and I think I remember one about teamwork and reaching goals...sorry, can't remember exactly. Once the interview is done, you get a thank you email stating "Thank you for completing your interview! A representative from Hilton Worldwide will contact you about next steps." And that's where I sit now. I will update if the interview progresses to the next stage.

Update: I had my phone interview today and was offered the job. Let me say that the interviewer, Tina, was wonderful. If you are nervous at all, she will make you feel at ease. I really can't say enough good things about her. As other reviewers have said, the questions are basic, however challenging if you are an optimist. "Give me an example of where you failed and how you fixed it" - sort of questions. I don't really wallow in failure, I think in terms of success, so it was tough for me to remember a bad situation - but Tina helped me through and I was able to think in a more detailed way. Make no mistake, this is a sales position, so if you think that way, you will be fine.

After the personality questions, we went through the mock call. Again, think sales. Start with the most expensive package and ask for the sale immediately after you explain the room - this is most important. You have to know how to close the sale.

Although this was the first time I have done online interviews, I must say it was a fabulous experience from beginning to end. So far, I am very impressed with Hilton and the entire interview process. If you really want the job, you will be prepared for the interview. All the answers are in the pages they send you. Take the time, prepare, and write out each scenario and your responses before the call and you will be fine. I am excited to get started!

Interview Questions

• What does integrity mean to you?   1 Answer