Hitachi Consulting

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Director Business Strategy Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Hitachi Consulting in December 2007.

I was part of a team HCC was trying to hire from another consultancy, and thus the group of eight of us were approached as a team. We were also speaking to Deloitte and E&Y.

As HCC were reorganizing their internal consulting practices, the conversations we had started in May 2007 and continued sporadically until October 2007. HCC decided to launch a management consulting arm specializing in strategy. During this six month period varied members of our large team went to E&Y, Deloitte and other firms. As I was working on another engagement I did not pursue this opportunity actively until November 2007. At that time I engaged in several phone interviews, then had in-person interviews, both one-on-one and group in NYC and Boston.

The phone interviews were very clear and well-organized, the in-person interviews less so as consultant schedules were subject to sudden shifts! I was able to speak with seven people on the phone in TX, CA and MA around my areas of expertise and interest, two people in one-on-one interviews in NYC, and then another five people in the one-on-one and group live interviews in Boston. I did this number of interviews as part of my due diligence to understand the complex organizational structure at HCC as well as the cut between dotted and straight-line accountability, as I was part of the team tasked with _starting_ the business strategy services group.

HCC is primarily a systems integrator and IT consultancy, with some experience in payment systems and media and entertainment from the acquisition of Dove Consulting. They have grown by acquisition but have not successfully integrated all of the varied pieces (i.e. former Grant Thornton and Arthur Andersen amployees describe themselves in those specific terms, not as Hitachi Consulting employees, which argues for insufficient PMI). HCC functions virtually, with regional offices. There is a considerable amount of travel that they attempt to lesson via their "market" structure, but is a key piece of working at HCC. HCC is very US-and IT-focused. Key areas of skill sought are are SAP/Oracle ERP knowledge, Lawson, JD Edwards and varied Microsoft packages.

Interview Questions
  • How would I manage an SAP implementation?   View Answer
  • Would I join the Organization and Transformation practice or the Business Strategy practice?   View Answer
I was able to negotiate a signing bonus, and a salary a bit less than offered by Deloitte, but in line with my expectations. The draw for me was starting a new practice within and existing firm and ideally being able to draw upon the client roster already created to grow opportunities.
I'd advise candidates to negotiate clear severance packages and performance measurement metrics. This was somewhat fuzzy in the firm.

Worked for Hitachi Consulting? Contribute to the Community!