Hitachi Consulting

108 candidate interviews

Manager Interview

Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hitachi Consulting in February 2008.

Interview Details – Interview was very well organized. The recruiter and recruiting team have a well-run process which includes a phone interview, then several 1:1 meetings with various levels of the consultancy (manager to VP). It also has case studies to test your knowledge. Hitachi also does a lot of behavioral interviewing. Very very well run!

Interview Question – Part of external consultancy includes proposing new projects/selling? Tell me about a time when you had to sell an idea, etc...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations were quick and reasonable. Able to negotiate sign-on bonus.

Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence Interview

Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence
Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hitachi Consulting in August 2007.

Interview Details – The company recruiter was very informative about the company and position available. She kept in touch during the interview process providing feedback and status of upcoming interviews. The interview process consisted of meeting a couple high-level executives within the organization who just felt me out for goals and fit within the company. I was also interviewed by a team lead who had a number of prepared questions to identify skills and how I deal with specific scenarios.

Interview Question – Give an example of a situation where you were not able to meet project deadlines and how did you deal with project owners.   Answer Question

Director Business Strategy Services Interview

Director Business Strategy Services
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Hitachi Consulting in December 2007.

Interview Details – I was part of a team HCC was trying to hire from another consultancy, and thus the group of eight of us were approached as a team. We were also speaking to Deloitte and E&Y.

As HCC were reorganizing their internal consulting practices, the conversations we had started in May 2007 and continued sporadically until October 2007. HCC decided to launch a management consulting arm specializing in strategy. During this six month period varied members of our large team went to E&Y, Deloitte and other firms. As I was working on another engagement I did not pursue this opportunity actively until November 2007. At that time I engaged in several phone interviews, then had in-person interviews, both one-on-one and group in NYC and Boston.

The phone interviews were very clear and well-organized, the in-person interviews less so as consultant schedules were subject to sudden shifts! I was able to speak with seven people on the phone in TX, CA and MA around my areas of expertise and interest, two people in one-on-one interviews in NYC, and then another five people in the one-on-one and group live interviews in Boston. I did this number of interviews as part of my due diligence to understand the complex organizational structure at HCC as well as the cut between dotted and straight-line accountability, as I was part of the team tasked with _starting_ the business strategy services group.

HCC is primarily a systems integrator and IT consultancy, with some experience in payment systems and media and entertainment from the acquisition of Dove Consulting. They have grown by acquisition but have not successfully integrated all of the varied pieces (i.e. former Grant Thornton and Arthur Andersen amployees describe themselves in those specific terms, not as Hitachi Consulting employees, which argues for insufficient PMI). HCC functions virtually, with regional offices. There is a considerable amount of travel that they attempt to lesson via their "market" structure, but is a key piece of working at HCC. HCC is very US-and IT-focused. Key areas of skill sought are are SAP/Oracle ERP knowledge, Lawson, JD Edwards and varied Microsoft packages.

Interview Questions

• How would I manage an SAP implementation?   View Answer
  • Would I join the Organization and Transformation practice or the Business Strategy practice?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a signing bonus, and a salary a bit less than offered by Deloitte, but in line with my expectations. The draw for me was starting a new practice within and existing firm and ideally being able to draw upon the client roster already created to grow opportunities.
I'd advise candidates to negotiate clear severance packages and performance measurement metrics. This was somewhat fuzzy in the firm.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Costa Mesa, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hitachi Consulting in May 2007.

Interview Details – I met with 3 Sr Managers and 2 Partners in a total of 4 meetings within one morning. There was no difficult questions, but we were both looking for a good fit. I may have been too specialized within the IT security field, and they were looking for an IT generalist to cross selling their services.

Interview Question – What makes you think you qualify for this position?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hitachi Consulting in February 2007.

Interview Details – 1. Got an email from someone at HC to set up a phone interview
2. 15 minute phone screen with local HR director
3. Invited to come to HC office - 3 interviews: 2 managers, 1 vp. Very impressive office space in a tall building with a view. Wanted me to talk about several specific experiences. Very friendly and not a high-pressure process. I had my response the same day.

My advice: Come prepared to talk about things YOU have specifically done/accomplished. They want to understand what kind of person you are and how you would fit in.

Interview Question – They don't use trickery to get at what they want to know about you. Just come prepared to talk about your experience using statements that relate to things YOU actually did.   Answer Question

Consultant

The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Hitachi Consulting in January 2009.

Interview Details – One interview was on campus and the next was in-office by senior management. Very nice people who are easy to talk to. Only problem I had was that I had to repeatedly call to get an answer from the HR Rep

Interview Question – What kinds of projects have you worked on? What technology are you interested in?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not able to

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Pune (India)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Hitachi Consulting in May 2009.

Interview Details – had a detailed process

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – agreeable

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Hitachi Consulting in July 2009.

Interview Details – The company recruiter was very professional and put me at ease. He asked the usual questions to provide examples of where I had performed a similar job, but all in all it was a good conversation. When I was called back and told I was not moving forward in the process, the recruiter gave me positive feedback and made me feel respected and was appreciative for my time and participation.

Interview Question – Nothing specific comes to mind- there were no trick questions.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Hitachi Consulting in July 2009.

Interview Details – Was referred in by an industry contact.
Unfortunately, Hitachi has made a few waves of layoffs recently.

They are looking to staff consultants with extremely technical skills.
This does not mean they are on a pure hiring freeze, but look elsewhere if you are more aligned towards functional or process related projects.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through an implementation project from beginning to end.   Answer Question
  • What are some of the nuances of acceptance testing, deployment, and training?   Answer Question

Denver, CO

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Hitachi Consulting in November 2009.

Interview Details – 1st round - two 45 min interviews at the Denver office. Generally the same questions asked in each-- behavioral; asking a lot about previous experience. I was notified about 10 days later that I was invited back for a second round.
2nd round - informal meet and greet with the younger consultants and a 30 minute case in which we had to do a presentation on a supply chain problem.
3rd round - 4 1/2 hour long process interviewing with 6 VPs/directors and going out to lunch with two younger consultants.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were in a group and the group wasn't getting along and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hitachi Consulting

Worked for Hitachi Consulting? Contribute to the Community!