Hitachi Consulting Senior Consultant Interview Questions

3.2

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Hitachi Consulting in April 2010.

I applied online and received a call about a month or two later from a national recruiter. The initial conversation consisted of questions like, "Why do you want to leave?" "What are you asking for in terms of salary?" The online application requires that you put your current salary down, so they already know that. At the end of the conversation, they asked me if I was interested in moving forward for what they have going on. After I replied 'yes', they set me up with a PM for a phone interview the next day. The scheduling happened the same night of the first call from that afternoon.

The phone interview started off as a casual conversation, and that PM seemed very sharp. He let me go through my resume and tell him about my experiences, and he would just listen. Occassionally, he would just ask me something to follow up more in-depth with what I just told him. It caught me off-guard a few times. Some of the questions were pretty industry-specific and technical. Then it takes about a week for that PM and the recruiter to debrief and get details on an office visit. Scheduling the office visit took the longest. They needed to schedule it on Fridays because most people were travelling Mon-Thurs. They also have to make sure the key people were in the office (PM / Director / VP). This process took a little over 2 weeks.

My on-site interview was with a PM and a VP. We pretty much just came into the office, interviewed, and left. We were not really shown around the office or introduced to anyone else who was working there. This could be due to the fact that there were back-to-back interviews that Friday. In this interview, they dig into your knowledge a little bit more. It was more behavior than technical, but again, they do tend to ask questions in the middle of the conversation. It is probably a good idea to not answer right away, but let it sink in and keep your composure. I had one very sweet lady and one rude guy. Not sure if this was intended for "good-cop bad-cop" effects. The debrief between these individuals and the recruiter took about a little bit over a week.

The next step is for the senior management of that practice to get together on a phone call to discuss the candidates and make recommendations for them. The speed of this process just depends on how fast they can all schedule that call. If you are chosen to carve out an offer for, the approval process is quick.

Interview Questions
  • Can you tell me about Revenue Recognition?   View Answer
  • Can you give me an example of a time when you were tasked with something that you had no idea how to do? How did you go about obtaining the skills to accomplish this task?   Answer Question
  • Can you give me an example of a client's requirement, and how you came up with the design to satisfy that requirement?   Answer Question
They did not make it easy to negotiate. In the first conversation, we had spoke of a number. This was my minimum figure that I would consider to even leave my current job. I guess it was my mistake to disclose the truth, because the recruiter got the impression that that number was what I wanted.

The way it works: The hiring is nationalized and after they make a decision on you, it goes through an approval process. If you wanted to negotiate anything, they would have to re-submit your application through that process again.

I guess it was fair. They would have probably lost me if I had another recognizable firm that gave me just 2-3% more.

Other Interview Reviews for Hitachi Consulting

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Hitachi Consulting in November 2008.

Pretty fair on campus interview and then an office interview loop. Before we did the loop, we were invited into their office to meet others and do a group activity/case 'test' with a mix of students.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really questions each time. Some interviews were different and felt more like a discussion and I got to ask a bunch of questions as well.   Answer Question
    • They will do a case interview during the 1:1 time - there's no way to 'answer' the question really. Do your best and it did seem like they wanted me to explain how I was thinking about the case and how I saw the problem.   View Answer
    I tried to negotiate but the offers were pretty firm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hitachi Consulting in December 2011.

Typical consulting interview. Pre-screen, techincal interview, face to face interview. Good questions that truly test your knowledge and personality.

n/a

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hitachi Consulting in March 2012.

technical round, managerial round and HR. Sometimes client interview is also there.
    Technical round will be tough and you have to negotiate well in the HR round. However they pay more then market value. You have to ask for joining bonus and relocation charges.
    Telephonic round may start with a telephonic round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hitachi Consulting in June 2013.

The process was two phone interview, one by a recruiter and one by a "technical person" then an in-office interview with three employees (one at a time)

Interview Questions
    • The unusual question was what blogs I had IDs on and had I ever been published.   View Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Hitachi Consulting in August 2013.

Phone call with practice talent acquisition followed by technical phone screen. Then on-site interview with hiring manager and several members of the team. Team interview is typical round about one on one interview with architect, consultant and PM. Many technical questions, some good and discussion provoking, some pretty shallow or just factoid types. Code writing exercise, checking someone else's code, looking for errors and some diagramming, architecture and design elaboration, proving your point, behavioral and situation questions.

The process was a bit chaotic and not well organized, but people were nice.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really, if you know your field, you should be good. Otherwise, don't bother.   Answer Question

Salary

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hitachi Consulting.

Basic Phone scree followed by 2 onsite with Managers and later one on site with VP. Process took approx. 4 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the blue. If you know your stuff that's on your resume and they brought you in for that reason, all questions are geared toward the technology you are knowledgeable in.   Answer Question
    Minimal

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hitachi Consulting in March 2012.

The first interview was conducted by phone from a HR recruiter, then a second technical interview by phone
    from a Java architect. After that I was invited to attend a face-to-face interview. The face-to-face interviews consist of 3 sessions, the first session with a manager who introduced herself as an architect,
    the second with a senior manager and the final was with a director. The first 2 sessions were technical
    and project experience interview and I did well. The last one was with the director, he is a politician,
    his questions are "what's your career goal ?", "what would u envision yourself in five years?"... and when I
    did not respond straightly to the question ("Would u be willing to sacrifice your time for the job ?" -implying overtime without getting paid) he was obviously annoyed, he then told me that clients do not pay for the travel (meaning you would not get paid either), I did not respond to him, and then he said the new graduate are willing to take the job, willing to put more for less, at that moment I knew I was not going to get the job....

Interview Questions
    • What would u envision yourself in 5 years ?   View Answer
    • Would you be willing to put more for less   View Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Hitachi Consulting in February 2007.

1. Got an email from someone at HC to set up a phone interview
    2. 15 minute phone screen with local HR director
    3. Invited to come to HC office - 3 interviews: 2 managers, 1 vp. Very impressive office space in a tall building with a view. Wanted me to talk about several specific experiences. Very friendly and not a high-pressure process. I had my response the same day.

My advice: Come prepared to talk about things YOU have specifically done/accomplished. They want to understand what kind of person you are and how you would fit in.

Interview Questions
    • They don't use trickery to get at what they want to know about you. Just come prepared to talk about your experience using statements that relate to things YOU actually did.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hitachi Consulting in June 2012.

- Was contacted through LinkedIn through their recruiter for an initial conversation
    - Discussed about experiences, expertise, salary, visa, etc.
    - Never heard back for a month
    - On inquiring, they responded saying I didn't have time left on my visa. I had over a year left.