Hobby Lobby

Getting the Interview

18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Toledo, OH

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hobby Lobby in December 2010.

Interview Details – The interview went smooth. The manager just ask basic questions and gave a brief description about the company.

Interview Question – The were no difficult questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details –

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hobby Lobby in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed in-person with the store manager only. First had to pass a very basic written arithmetic test without the use of a calculator. Then it was standard interview questions, and lots of boring background information about the company's history. Took over an hour because the store manager was very chatty.

Interview Question – Although I had no trouble with this, applicants who didn't pass the math test would be immediately dismissed from the interview.   Answer Question

Columbia, MD

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hobby Lobby in October 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was done with a Manager from another store and the assistant manager. Afterwards, you are given a simple 25 question math test that includes subtraction, addition, multiplication, addition, and percentage problems.

Interview Question – I did not find any questions to be difficult. All were simple questions and didn't require much thought.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Interview Details – Met with the manager and answered a few generic HR questions. We were required to take a very simple math test, in which we could use a calculator. Afterwards we discussed how to memorize the sale ad and discussed pay. I was given a quick tour of the breakroom and shown where to go for the schedule.

Interview Question – All of the questions were easy.   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Interview Details – Usual questions such as describe yourself and Why Hobby Lobby.

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Hobby Lobby in December 2012.

Interview Details – Filled out application. Not really an interview. I was over qualified with 20 years customer service and cash handling experience. The manager looked at my credentials and he gave me a math test. After I finished he gave me paper work to fill out for tax purposes, no ,background check which did not matter to me but maybe to others. Watched videos about the store, policy's, safety procedures, and more. About 3 hours total time.

Interview Question – Have you ever worked in retail before?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. 9.00 was seasonal rate.

Fairlawn, OH

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hobby Lobby in January 2012.

Interview Details – Turned in application, called me back three weeks later.

Interview Question – What are your faults?   View Answer

Miamisburg, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Interview Details – A pretty easy-going, comfortable interview. Some of the questions he asked were: What is your greatest accomplishment? What would you change about yourself if you could? If you disagreed with something your boss asked you to do how would you handle it? Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer. What did I like best about my last job? What did I like the least about my last job. I was given a basic math test that consisted of multiplication, addition, percentages (i.e. What is 15% off of $24.95, and Add 7.5% sales tax to $3.99) 16 math questions in all.

Interview Question – I stumbled on a few questions as I have a tendency to freeze up when put on the spot, but the lamest answer I gave was to the 'greatest accomplishment' question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't really a negotiation, the pay and hours he offered were pretty generous and I gladly accepted.

Lubbock, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hobby Lobby in November 2011.

Interview Details – I was asked to be at the store at around 10 am. I dressed nicely and walked in. One of the CSMs had called the manager to the front, and he greeted me with a handshake and a clipboard. Attached to this clipboard was a math test. It asked me to solve problems that dealt with percentages and such, but I was not to use a calculator. It probably took me about 30 minutes. Once I was finished, the CSM called him again to let the manager know I was finished. He came and lead me to his office, which was equipped with a fairly comfortable seat. He asked some of the most basic questions such as "why do you want to work here" or he asked me what I liked the least from my previous job. I felt fairly comfortable and he didn't seem to mind me thinking for a second before I knew my answers.

Interview Question – "If someone of higher position asked you to do something you weren't comfortable doing, how would you handle that?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Once I answered all of his questions, he asked me if I would like to start at $8.75ph on Monday. I gladly accepted.

College Station, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hobby Lobby in August 2011.

Interview Details – The whole process was pretty relaxed and not intimidating. It seemed like they were already planning on hiring me even before my interview and that the one-on-one part was just a formality. There were two other people interviewing at the same time, and all three of us were hired. The math test was pretty tough without a calculator, but still just simple math. They called me when they said they would, two days later, and asked "when can you start?". Simple, quick, and painless.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I didn't try to negotiate since I didn't have any relevant experience to build on.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hobby Lobby

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hobby Lobby Cashier interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hobby Lobby employees and interview candidates.