Hobby Lobby

Getting the Interview

87 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Interview Details – Detailed interview with recruiter. Typical management questions, background experience questions, a small personality test and a tour of the store

Interview Question – Write down the 4 things that you want to improve the most about yourself. (He just had me write on this random piece of paper)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. But if I felt it necessary the recruiter would have, at least dialogued with me, however I do not know if he would have worked with me. In general the offer was fair and reasonable.

Associate Interview

Nowhere, OK

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hobby Lobby in April 2010.

Interview Details – Ehh...I don't really have too much to say..just trying to fill in the 50 word minimum. The interview was in depth and had questions and a math test. The math test is difficult if you haven't been in school for a long time. But it is doable. That's all.

Interview Question – Math test was the most difficult. They Had many other questions that I cannot remember. The interview was in depth and I believe I had a background check. I think also a drug test. The interview was a packet of papers, question and answer. Maybe about 30 questions or so. Made me kind of nervous, but it wasn't terrible.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Don't.

Cashier
Toledo, OH

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hobby Lobby in December 2010.

Interview Details – The interview went smooth. The manager just ask basic questions and gave a brief description about the company.

Interview Question – The were no difficult questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details –

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hobby Lobby in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed in-person with the store manager only. First had to pass a very basic written arithmetic test without the use of a calculator. Then it was standard interview questions, and lots of boring background information about the company's history. Took over an hour because the store manager was very chatty.

Interview Question – Although I had no trouble with this, applicants who didn't pass the math test would be immediately dismissed from the interview.   Answer Question

Columbia, MD

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hobby Lobby in October 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was done with a Manager from another store and the assistant manager. Afterwards, you are given a simple 25 question math test that includes subtraction, addition, multiplication, addition, and percentage problems.

Interview Question – I did not find any questions to be difficult. All were simple questions and didn't require much thought.   Answer Question

Co-Manager Interview

Co-Manager
Omaha, NE

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Hobby Lobby in January 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process was very basic. There is a simple math test involved. I met the recruiter at the store and was interviewed there. Very thorough interview. The description of the job and the company were very closely matched with reality of the actual job. I thought the salary was very fair given the level of responsibility.

Interview Question – To me, there were no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I received most of what I negotiated for. The recruiter handled it very professionally.

Department Head Interview

Department Head
North Naples, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hobby Lobby in December 2013.

Interview Details – Their advertisement claimed they were looking for $14.+/hr Department Heads and I interviewed specifically for that position. I was told that should be no problemo with my background. I was offered a "job in frames" which I thought was fishy. Went on my time to store and was told that the Store Manager's son's BF was hired already for the position and that they had 4 framers and two associates trained as framers. The 24yo Frame Department Head last and only job was he was with a moving company as a day laborer. wow

Interview Question – Will you take a math test and can you work a cash register?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, I'm the moron.

Co-Manager Interview

Co-Manager

Interviewed at Hobby Lobby

Interview Details – Very extensive , over three months starting with online app then a number of tele interviews followed by an online assessment test running about two hours then a face to face with recruiter covering over two hrs at which I felt went well but after taking offer I have doubts that my recruiter knows the true reality of what actually is going on in these stores. I was quoted average work week of 55 hrs except holidays but in reality is 65+ and at no time was I told that I would be required to work 7:30am to 10:pm with no chance to grab a meal let alone to use the restroom. Ether my recruiter is naive or bs artist.

Interview Question – Pretty standard questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty straight forward as for salary and bonus

Associate Interview

Associate
Vicksburg, MS

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hobby Lobby in January 2014.

Interview Details – Newspaper said lowest paid wage would be $14/hr. When I interviewed they said $9.50/hr and 12hr days 7 days a week for at least 3 weeks. They said no promises other than the three weeks. All questions were from a script 1. Why Hobby Lobby? 2. What do you know about Hobby Lobby? 3. What are your best qualities? 4. What would my former supervisor have to say about me? 5. What was my favorite and least favorite thing about my last job? I had a math test consisting of 16 questions and I could not use a calculator. Two with multiplication of multiple digits, two with addition with decimals and about eight questions with percentages off of items and four questions adding sales tax of 7 1/2%. I was hired on the spot. They said they were hiring about 55 people to open the store and then weeding out the ones that won't work for them keeping about 20 employees. The ones that are the best of the best will get hired full-time at $14/hr working on average 35hrs/week. Most will be part time at $9.50/hr. I was interviewed by two managers, both were extremely polite!

Interview Question – What would you change about yourself?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They were firm on the 9.50/hr even though they said lowest pay would be 14/hr for full time.

Certified Framer Interview

Certified Framer

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Interview Details – Called and scheduled for a day to come in. Co-manager basically went through my application with me asking for a little more details for each question. Framers have to take a basic math test that a middle school student could pass easily. It seemed like I was already hired unless I failed the test or was color blind (framers need to be able to see a full range of colors).

Interview Question – Rather than asking if I was color blind they help up a painting and asked what the most dominate color was. I thought this was an artistic ability test or something, but it was just to see if I was color blind.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hobby Lobby

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hobby Lobby interview questions and advice. All 87 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hobby Lobby employees and interview candidates.