Hobby Lobby Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.2

PT Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Interview

Easy. 1:1 with the store manager. All normal questions. She went into a little about the religious culture of the company (the CEO prays before any meeting at headquarters), which should have been a red flag!

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenge you had at a previous job and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Part Time Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Interview

I had a brief, informal interview with one of the managers. He asked the standard basic questions you would expect to be asked at an interview.I was then asked to take a math test that included questions pertaining to things such as calculating percentages, sales tax ext.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hobby Lobby (Birmingham, AL).

Interview

Awkward for a retail job. More emphasis placed on skills for a cashier sales clerk position. It felt fake. Even though Hobby Lobby is considered christian it was never mentioned.

Interview Questions

• Math test when you never do math. Questioned about why you want to work there. In this economy I just want a job until I can he back to a career.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Interview

I had to call and check the status of my applications. I applied and never heard anything. I called the corporate office the lady I spoke to was nice. She forwarded my information to the proper recruiter. He called me at an unscheduled time and interviewed me. . Of course it was just because I called the corporate office because he was just going through the motion.

Interview Questions

• General interview questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schenectady, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hobby Lobby (Schenectady, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a job fair. I sat down with one manager who talked for about 5 minutes, asking why I chose the company and why I left my previous job. I got a second interview immediately. We talked about the same things, just more in depth. Everyone was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose Stewart's?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Interview

Easy, it really depends on your manager. If you are being referred by someone who already works there, its very simple. I don't even remember them asking me questions, I just took a simple math test.

Co-Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Abilene, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hobby Lobby (Abilene, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, and I was called back a few days later to do a phone interview. That went really well! Then I had to do a reference survey with 10 people. After that I had a VERY extensive assessment test, 5 pages long. Once this was approved, I was contacted to do a face to face interview. I have done a lot of interviews as a hiring manager myself, and I have never had an experience where an interviewer downplays his company to discourage you from being interested. He mentioned long hours, lack of technology, physical work, no home life or work balance. Normally I would think you play up the strengths of your company, but the focus I felt was more on the downside. Despite this, the interview went great until we went over the assessment scores in which the interviewer said I did great on the interview, but failed the assessment. He went on to say that there must be something wrong with me because others did better on the test than I did. To me, I felt he insinuated I was stupid and it was a humiliating experience. If I didn't do well on the assessment, why even call me in for the interview? I understand the importance of the testing, but I think it's very unprofessional to insult an applicant. As a customer I really enjoy shopping in their stores, but I have to say I was left very discouraged by this experience.

Interview Questions

• Working long hours is part of what we do. Can you work 60 to 80 hours a week and still have a balanced home and work life?   1 Answer

Craft Designer (Corporate) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hobby Lobby (Oklahoma City, OK) in April 2015.

Interview

Let me start this by saying this is not my first rodeo. I have worked for a fortune 500 company, small mom-and-pop operations, an internet start-up, publicly traded companies, and modest 50-person companies. In my 12 years in the workforce, I have interviewed with roughly 10 companies - some of which extended me a job offer, and others that didn't.
    The interview process was both lengthy, slow, and frustrating. A lot was asked of me, the applicant- time, money, and stress.
    The application for the Craft Designer position called for 12-16 work samples, which I provided along with my resume. About a week after submitting my resume, I got an email from a recruiter who scheduled a screening call. She ask me to pick a time were I had 45 minutes of free time. During our call, I was asked a set of roughly 30 questions that pertained to my skills, work experience, personality, and preferences. Next, she explained to meet that the next step in the process would be for me to do an at home test project. The call took an hour and fifteen minutes.
    Fast forward to two weeks later, I drove to the corporate office to pick up the test project. I had exactly three days to complete it, and it included the following four projects: 1) decorate a picture frame, 2) make some jewelry, 3) embroidery a sample, and 4) create a banner. They provided me with all of the materials, although I was told to buy a hot glue gun, scissors and a pencil to use.
    After I completed and turned in the project, I got another email from the recruiter about a week later asking if I could come in for a first interview and on-site test project. She told me I would have a group interview with assistant managers, and complete a 2 hour project. I arrived, and was led into a room with the four assistant managers, and a recruiter who facilitated the interview. They had pinned my test projects to a board. The recruiter would read the questions from the four-page packet, and I would answer them. The questions were the same questions from my first screening call, plus a few more. The assistant managers added in questions of their own, too. They were all beyond kind and made me feel very comfortable. The interview took about two hours. When it was complete, I was lead to a desk that was equipped with materials and was told to do three projects. I was given exactly two hours, and was escorted out by an HR associate when I was finished. I followed up with each of the assistant managers by sending hand-written thank-you notes, thanking them for their time and for allowing me to learn more about the company.
    About a week later, I was contacted by the same recruiter, who scheduled a second interview with me scheduled two weeks later. She explained to me I would have another group interview, this time with the department managers, and then I would be given a tour of the facility. I drove to the office, and was lead into the same meeting room. Sitting around the table were three managers, another recruiter, and then the same recruiter who had facilitated the first interview. My on-site test projects were pinned to the board, along with my take-home projects from the first interview. The recruiter proceeded to ask me the same questions from the 4-5 page packet. This time, however, the managers seemed cold, spoke very little, made no eye contact, and seemed to be checking their watches for the majority of the interview. about 40 minutes into the interview, one of the managers said the group would have to leave soon for a prior engagement, so we would need to "wrap things up." The recruiter asked if they had any questions for me, and they did. And honestly, I felt as if they were grilling me. I totally understand that probing questions are just part of the interview process, but I kind of felt like I was being asked to defend myself, my work, and my work experience. I also felt as though the managers had made up their mind about me before I had even arrived to the interview.
    And because the meeting was cut short, I was never actually able to present to them my test-project. The managers left, and the kind recruiter apologized on their behalf for having to cut the interview short. Another recruiter met me at the door and led me on a 10 minute tour of the facility.

Interview Questions

• There was a packet of questions (yes, I did say packet) of about 4-5 pages. Each page had roughly 8-9 questions. I felt like I was being grilled, rather than interviewed. I wouldn't have minded it as much, but these same questions were asked in BOTH group interviews and the initial screening call. And while I appreciate their thoroughness, the job I was applying for was entry-level with a rather meek salary. I felt as though I was being vetted for a executive-level position.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Interview

It was quick and easy. They gave me a math test. After that was completed I sat n spoke to the store manager. We spoke about my talents and skills. Then afterwards I was given the chance to ask any questions that I might've had.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Interview

Apply in person with a paper application. Received a call to come in for an interview within the week. I was unable to go for an interview so I declined the offer.