Hobby Lobby

Updated Jan 19, 2015
Updated Jan 19, 2015

2.2

Stockman Interview

Spoke with the Store Manager and carried an interview for well over an hour going over history and future desires. Had a fun time talking and really didn't have any major issues come up during the process. We covered the concerns of the business and finished with a math test to qualify me as an applicant.

Interview Questions
    • Was $10.00 an hour enough to continue with the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boardman, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boardman, OH

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hobby Lobby in August 2014.

Sat down with the manager and started through typical questions. He got a phone call and left the room for about 5 minutes to talk to his employees about something, then resumed a typical interview. Took a percentages math test that he let me retake once he taught me how to do the math (it's been years since math class!)

Interview Questions

I had another interview the next day and was honest about it. He understood and let me get back to him.

Co-Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hobby Lobby in August 2014.

I applied on line and appox 3 days I received a call from a recruitor to set up time for phone interview. Two days later I had phone interview and was told if I was considered would get call for face interview. Received call about week later for face interview. Did 10 references plus test on line. Passed them would have face interview. Had face interview and was told I would hear something in 3 to 5 days. It's.been almost 3 weeks and email or response if I got position or not...:( really wanted to work for them

Department Head/Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Hobby Lobby in August 2014.

The hiring and interview process was very quick. You have to be proactive and reach out to the manager (ideally in person) if you want the job. The interview was a little tedious for a simple retail job. They asked standard questions about strengths and weaknesses, why you want the job, what you'll bring to the table, etc. There is also an untimed written math test at the end.

Interview Questions
    • The math test was surprisingly challenging, as it was work I hadn't had to do since I was in high school. It's pretty basic, addition and subtraction (which is easy), but you should refresh your memory on calculating percentages without a calculator.   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation. They're pretty set on the fact that they'll start you at the base pay and based on your performance you could potentially get a raise after several months.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hobby Lobby in July 2014.

I actually gave them my app two months before I received my call back. I was told that they were full staff but that they would hold my application. Then two months later they said they called and asked if I was still interested in an interview. At the interview the main office was already in use (I figured it was another interview) so the interview was held in the classroom. The Manager gave me the run of the mill interview questions, he actually read them all from a paper.
    He told me that at Hobby Lobby we at times have to wear different hats, sometimes cashier need to help clean and the leads need to help with registers even the manager himself helps the others, he asked how I felt about that and if I can tell him of a time when I stepped in to go above my normal job outline to help my coworkers.
    Asked what I knew about the company and the founder (David Green). And why I wanted to work there at HL.
    He told me that we would have to deal with numbers frequently and so I would need to take a math test. He also told me that everyone including himself has taken the test. It was a math test 16 questions, we were aloud 8 incorrect answers and no calculators. The questions were basically for when they have sales (percentages) or adding tax(multiplying with decimals). He gave me plenty of time to finish and double check my answers while he went to his office. I ended up only having two wrong.
    Don’t recall if he asked many more questions after the test.
    He mentioned that he had more interviews but wanted me back for a second interview and they would call me sometime soon. Two days later they called and asked If I wanted the job and could start in two days.

Interview Questions
    • At what point would I consider myself "late"   View Answer
    No I didn't even realize how much I got until I received my first pay stub(they just recently gave everyone a raise which was more that what my research showed).

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoover, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoover, AL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hobby Lobby.

This was an overall typical interview. In retrospect, I believe, due to the employee turnover the hiring process is easy. The manager seemed to be so busy that the interview was just an inconvenience.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Applications are not available on-line. You must apply on paper at the store you are interested in working in. Questions were standard. When are you available? What retail experience do you have? Why do you want to work here?

Interview Questions
    • The interview included a basic math test - percents, decimals, the type of things necessary when working with money. It's not hard and a calculator is available if wanted.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hobby Lobby.

I got a phone call from Hobby Lobby and they asked me which day and time would be best for me to come interview.

I got there and sat down with the manager at his office.

I took a short math test, since I was applying for cashier position.

There was the standard sorts of questions about "what are your skills and experiences" and "what are your weaknesses" "what do you bring to the team"
    The manager was very interested in making sure I'd had experience in retail before, and was able to learn and react to different situations.

Interview Questions
    • "Why should I hire you instead of anyone else who applied"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arvada, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arvada, CO

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hobby Lobby.

I was given a math test to complete along with a calculator before my interview. After that was completed I was asked how I feel about cleaning the store at the end of the night. As well as simple things like why I left my last job and job experience related questions.

No negotiation was allowed even after trying to make 25 cents more than what was offered.

Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Detailed interview with recruiter. Typical management questions, background experience questions, a small personality test and a tour of the store

Interview Questions
    • Write down the 4 things that you want to improve the most about yourself. (He just had me write on this random piece of paper)   Answer Question
    No negotiation. But if I felt it necessary the recruiter would have, at least dialogued with me, however I do not know if he would have worked with me. In general the offer was fair and reasonable.