Hobby Lobby

2.2

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arvada, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arvada, CO

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hobby Lobby.

I was given a math test to complete along with a calculator before my interview. After that was completed I was asked how I feel about cleaning the store at the end of the night. As well as simple things like why I left my last job and job experience related questions.

No negotiation was allowed even after trying to make 25 cents more than what was offered.

Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Detailed interview with recruiter. Typical management questions, background experience questions, a small personality test and a tour of the store

Interview Questions
    • Write down the 4 things that you want to improve the most about yourself. (He just had me write on this random piece of paper)   Answer Question
    No negotiation. But if I felt it necessary the recruiter would have, at least dialogued with me, however I do not know if he would have worked with me. In general the offer was fair and reasonable.

All Around Store Employee Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hobby Lobby in March 2014.

Easy - in person, math test, All the standard questions that you would expect after filling out an application - "Why do you want to work here?", "Do you have transportation?", "Can you work 7AM to 7PM?" "Have you worked in retail before?"

None - take it or leave it.

Set Stylist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hobby Lobby in March 2014.

It was a very long process - about a month - with 3 different interviews AFTER the initial phone interview. One was a sit down interview, the second was sit down and styling, the third was just styling. What made the styling part of the interview difficult was there was little direction and little to no resources.

Co-Manager Interview

Very extensive , over three months starting with online app then a number of tele interviews followed by an online assessment test running about two hours then a face to face with recruiter covering over two hrs at which I felt went well but after taking offer I have doubts that my recruiter knows the true reality of what actually is going on in these stores. I was quoted average work week of 55 hrs except holidays but in reality is 65+ and at no time was I told that I would be required to work 7:30am to 10:pm with no chance to grab a meal let alone to use the restroom. Ether my recruiter is naive or bs artist.

Interview Questions
    Pretty straight forward as for salary and bonus

Co Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hobby Lobby in February 2014.

Pretty much just a phone interview and a face to face interview with a recruiter. While i was in the store for my interview with the recruiter I walked the store with the store manager as well. The delivery from the store manager and how life is was far from the reality once you start working there. I guess that goes along with the politically correct delivery when you are around corporate officials.

Interview Questions
    • Basic situation questions, leadership style, weaknesses, what you need to improve on in your opinion, etc.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate as I had recently been laid off from a closing retailer, however I since have found out that you can negotiate salary, bonus, AND vacation time. Definitely negotiate vacation time as you do NOT get any for your first year!

Certified Framer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Called and scheduled for a day to come in. Co-manager basically went through my application with me asking for a little more details for each question. Framers have to take a basic math test that a middle school student could pass easily. It seemed like I was already hired unless I failed the test or was color blind (framers need to be able to see a full range of colors).

Interview Questions
    • Rather than asking if I was color blind they help up a painting and asked what the most dominate color was. I thought this was an artistic ability test or something, but it was just to see if I was color blind.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Asked standard interview questions about personal qualities, previous work experience, and why I would make a good employee there

Interview Questions
    • "What would past employers say about you?"
      "What do you know about our company?"

Answer Question
    I was hired part time, there were no benefits to negotiate. Their starting pay was well above minimum wage so I had no reason to negotiate there.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vicksburg, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vicksburg, MS

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hobby Lobby in January 2014.

Newspaper said lowest paid wage would be $14/hr. When I interviewed they said $9.50/hr and 12hr days 7 days a week for at least 3 weeks. They said no promises other than the three weeks. All questions were from a script 1. Why Hobby Lobby? 2. What do you know about Hobby Lobby? 3. What are your best qualities? 4. What would my former supervisor have to say about me? 5. What was my favorite and least favorite thing about my last job? I had a math test consisting of 16 questions and I could not use a calculator. Two with multiplication of multiple digits, two with addition with decimals and about eight questions with percentages off of items and four questions adding sales tax of 7 1/2%. I was hired on the spot. They said they were hiring about 55 people to open the store and then weeding out the ones that won't work for them keeping about 20 employees. The ones that are the best of the best will get hired full-time at $14/hr working on average 35hrs/week. Most will be part time at $9.50/hr. I was interviewed by two managers, both were extremely polite!

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They were firm on the 9.50/hr even though they said lowest pay would be 14/hr for full time.

Department Head Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Naples, FL
    Anonymous Employee in North Naples, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hobby Lobby in December 2013.

Their advertisement claimed they were looking for $14.+/hr Department Heads and I interviewed specifically for that position. I was told that should be no problemo with my background. I was offered a "job in frames" which I thought was fishy. Went on my time to store and was told that the Store Manager's son's BF was hired already for the position and that they had 4 framers and two associates trained as framers. The 24yo Frame Department Head last and only job was he was with a moving company as a day laborer. wow

Interview Questions
    • Will you take a math test and can you work a cash register?   View Answer

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, I'm the moron.