Hobby Lobby Interview Questions

Updated Oct 4, 2014

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hobby Lobby in May 2013.

Basic Interview Questions from GM, such as why you want to work for them, what were the past jobs and if there was any desire to move up in the company and general math test.

No negotiations

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Phone interview, In person interview with HR, In person interview with specific store management

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer showed a list of characteristics-many of which were Christian based and asked which were the 5 that I displayed the most in my life and the 5 that I least displayed.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. The wage was preset.

Department Manager Interview

Very short--I was only asked 2-3 questions. I knew someone in the company, so that's how I got the interview.

Interview Questions
    • "Would you be interested in moving to another department if there was a need?"   Answer Question
    Also very short--it honestly extended into my first few days at the job. I had applied for a cash-handling position, but was made a department manager instead.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Usual questions such as describe yourself and Why Hobby Lobby.

Department Head/Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hobby Lobby.

just talked to manager told him that i enjoyied many of the crafts that they sell so i would be a.ble to help customers easily. was flexible with my hours so that was a plus. as long as you are friendly and able to talk comfortably with customers you should have no problem passing the interview part.

Interview Questions
    • there is a math test that can be difficult if you are not used to not using a calculator. there are reg. testing.   Answer Question
    they will start you at low as poss.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hobby Lobby in March 2013.

I first applied on line. Within a couple of days I received an email from the recruiter to set up a phone screen. The recruiter was very forthcoming with information about Hobby Lobby. He asked why I was interested in working for Hobby Lobby and we also walked through my work history. He shared that during the 4rh quarter, a 6 day work week is to be expected and just wanted to ensure I was fully aware of the expectation. He also asked what my salary requirements were.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were unexpected for a phone screen. I didn't continue the hiring process because the salary did not meet my needs. The recruiter was pleasant and stated that if I should ever change my mind, to please contact him.   Answer Question

Salary did not meet my requirements.

Co-Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Hobby Lobby in January 2013.

Hiring process was very basic. There is a simple math test involved. I met the recruiter at the store and was interviewed there. Very thorough interview. The description of the job and the company were very closely matched with reality of the actual job. I thought the salary was very fair given the level of responsibility.

Interview Questions
    I received most of what I negotiated for. The recruiter handled it very professionally.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hobby Lobby in January 2013.

I filled out a paper application on site, and got a call later on that week. We set up an interview for four days later. I was in a joint interview with one other person. The store manager stood across from us and asked us the same question, one after the other. Then, he gave us a timed math test. It was all basic division/multiplication, and word problems relating to customer interaction.

He said he'd be in contact soon, and I got a call the next day for a follow up interview whereupon he requested I bring my SS card. The next interview was basically him just asking my availability and filling out the job paperwork. He then gave me the tour, and we set up when I'd begin work. The whole process took less than two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you know about the company? Who's the CEO?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hobby Lobby in December 2012.

Filled out application. Not really an interview. I was over qualified with 20 years customer service and cash handling experience. The manager looked at my credentials and he gave me a math test. After I finished he gave me paper work to fill out for tax purposes, no ,background check which did not matter to me but maybe to others. Watched videos about the store, policy's, safety procedures, and more. About 3 hours total time.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever worked in retail before?   View Answer
    None. 9.00 was seasonal rate.

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Prescott, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Prescott, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hobby Lobby in September 2012.

The Manager was very bland and monotone. He didn't tell me anything exiting about his company that would make me want to work there. I asked routine questions but I felt like there should have been more enthusiasm on his part. Not just the attitude like "hey its a job and you will be lucky if I decide to hire you". You have to take a math test consisting of 16 question. mostly comprised of percent problems. I missed four, and I'm not sure if that would keep them from hiring someone.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest weakness? What did you like about your last job? What did you dis-like about your last job? I have never believe these questions always give you proper insight to an employees work ethic, but most of the questions are of that nature.   View Answer

when asked what the minimum and maximum hours for part time I was told 0 - 34. I can not afford to go to work for a company that may occasionally work me zero hours.