Hobby Lobby Interview Questions in Oklahoma City, OK

Updated May 3, 2015

Craft Designer (Corporate) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hobby Lobby (Oklahoma City, OK) in April 2015.

Interview

Let me start this by saying this is not my first rodeo. I have worked for a fortune 500 company, small mom-and-pop operations, an internet start-up, publicly traded companies, and modest 50-person companies. In my 12 years in the workforce, I have interviewed with roughly 10 companies - some of which extended me a job offer, and others that didn't.
    The interview process was both lengthy, slow, and frustrating. A lot was asked of me, the applicant- time, money, and stress.
    The application for the Craft Designer position called for 12-16 work samples, which I provided along with my resume. About a week after submitting my resume, I got an email from a recruiter who scheduled a screening call. She ask me to pick a time were I had 45 minutes of free time. During our call, I was asked a set of roughly 30 questions that pertained to my skills, work experience, personality, and preferences. Next, she explained to meet that the next step in the process would be for me to do an at home test project. The call took an hour and fifteen minutes.
    Fast forward to two weeks later, I drove to the corporate office to pick up the test project. I had exactly three days to complete it, and it included the following four projects: 1) decorate a picture frame, 2) make some jewelry, 3) embroidery a sample, and 4) create a banner. They provided me with all of the materials, although I was told to buy a hot glue gun, scissors and a pencil to use.
    After I completed and turned in the project, I got another email from the recruiter about a week later asking if I could come in for a first interview and on-site test project. She told me I would have a group interview with assistant managers, and complete a 2 hour project. I arrived, and was led into a room with the four assistant managers, and a recruiter who facilitated the interview. They had pinned my test projects to a board. The recruiter would read the questions from the four-page packet, and I would answer them. The questions were the same questions from my first screening call, plus a few more. The assistant managers added in questions of their own, too. They were all beyond kind and made me feel very comfortable. The interview took about two hours. When it was complete, I was lead to a desk that was equipped with materials and was told to do three projects. I was given exactly two hours, and was escorted out by an HR associate when I was finished. I followed up with each of the assistant managers by sending hand-written thank-you notes, thanking them for their time and for allowing me to learn more about the company.
    About a week later, I was contacted by the same recruiter, who scheduled a second interview with me scheduled two weeks later. She explained to me I would have another group interview, this time with the department managers, and then I would be given a tour of the facility. I drove to the office, and was lead into the same meeting room. Sitting around the table were three managers, another recruiter, and then the same recruiter who had facilitated the first interview. My on-site test projects were pinned to the board, along with my take-home projects from the first interview. The recruiter proceeded to ask me the same questions from the 4-5 page packet. This time, however, the managers seemed cold, spoke very little, made no eye contact, and seemed to be checking their watches for the majority of the interview. about 40 minutes into the interview, one of the managers said the group would have to leave soon for a prior engagement, so we would need to "wrap things up." The recruiter asked if they had any questions for me, and they did. And honestly, I felt as if they were grilling me. I totally understand that probing questions are just part of the interview process, but I kind of felt like I was being asked to defend myself, my work, and my work experience. I also felt as though the managers had made up their mind about me before I had even arrived to the interview.
    And because the meeting was cut short, I was never actually able to present to them my test-project. The managers left, and the kind recruiter apologized on their behalf for having to cut the interview short. Another recruiter met me at the door and led me on a 10 minute tour of the facility.

Interview Questions

• There was a packet of questions (yes, I did say packet) of about 4-5 pages. Each page had roughly 8-9 questions. I felt like I was being grilled, rather than interviewed. I wouldn't have minded it as much, but these same questions were asked in BOTH group interviews and the initial screening call. And while I appreciate their thoroughness, the job I was applying for was entry-level with a rather meek salary. I felt as though I was being vetted for a executive-level position.   Answer Question

Copy Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hobby Lobby (Oklahoma City, OK) in July 2010.

Interview

The interview process was good but working for the company has been awful and I have developed health problems from all the stress. They hire 1 person to do all the grunt work instead of assigning it to multiple people.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect in a company.   1 Answer
    • Do you like your current job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I took the Hobby Lobby minium at the time of $12 and hour. I have since gotten a well earned raise.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hobby Lobby (Oklahoma City, OK) in May 2010.

Interview

Had me perform professional skills test before the interview which they did not share would be part of the process.

Interviewed in person at HQ and the HR General Council and his team were not prepared and acted like they never talk to each other.