Hobsons Interview Questions & Reviews

2.9

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Hobsons in May 2014.

I was contacted by a technical recruiter at Hobsons for a remote Sr. UI Developer position. I had actually interviewed with Hobsons previously but not been offered the position.

For the previous position, I had an introductory phone screen, followed by a code challenge (completed over the weekend), a technical phone interview with 2 developers, and a final phone interview with the hiring manager. Each phase was separated by a week or two of waiting, so the process was quite long.

Since I had already done all those steps, the process for this position only required an in-person interview in their offices. There were 7 in-person interviews that lasted 30 minutes to an hour each. I interviewed with product designers, developers, and UX members of the team I would be working with, along with my hiring manager.

After a few weeks, I received a verbal offer for a different position than the one I had applied for - I interviewed for a remote senior role but, when they made the offer, was then told the remote role was not a senior role. This resulted in a significant salary decrease in the offer.

I requested an actual offer letter to review (3 times) but never received the letter. After about a week I told them I was willing to accept the lower offer, but they told me they had gone ahead and canceled the remote position and merged it with an in-office position they were hiring for.

I should point out that all direct communication between me and Hobsons was through the recruiter and not through the hiring manager, so I wasn't able to discuss questions or concerns with him (many of which were never answered).

I'm also having to answer (for this review) that I received an offer but declined it when, in reality, I accepted the verbal offer only to find out that after over a month of interviews and waiting, the position was nixed. There isn't an option for "offer was rescinded" because it's an extremely non-standard practice.

I'm not sure Hobsons fully understands how unethical and potentially dangerous this was for me - had I not been cautious and waited for an actual written offer to leave my current job and had given my notice after the verbal offer, I would be without a job.

Interview Questions
    • The strangest question I received was from my hiring manager.

He asked why I would use a JavaScript MVC framework (as opposed the jQuery or plain JavaScript) to build a very simple app that reads the content of a file and displays it on the screen.
        View Answer

I didn't actually decline - the job I was applying for was nixed after they made me a verbal offer. But that isn't an available option to choose.

Development Manager Interview

The process is long. It involves a phone interview, code challenge (about 10 hours of your personal time) and then a face-to-face.

Interview Questions
    • The face-to-face was a bit strange with several 'design on the whiteboard' exercises. I also got the impression that the Director with whom I interviewed with was looking for a very molded person (a clone of himself). It's kind of a shame because I am highly qualified and think I would have been a good fit at the company. But I guess I didn't fit his mold. It is probably for the best because I was afraid I wouldn't have enjoyed working for him anyway. He seems really intense. Also, pay is low compared to other similar jobs I am interviewing for.   Answer Question

Enrollment Counselor Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Hobsons in April 2013.

I heard about Hobsons through a current employee I had met at an education fair on a military base. They forwarded my resume to a hiring manager who called me and did an initial interview over the phone then called the next day after talking with his manager and set up my first interview the following week. The first interview was with the hiring manager I spoke to on the phone and one other manager from a different division. The hiring manager called me less than an hour after the first interview concluded and asked if I could come back the next day for a second interview with the Vice President of the division. That interview was again with two people and was more focused on my background and experience and was more about me selling myself than the interviewers asking questions. They called the next day and made an offer over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question for me was "Where do you see yourself within this company in one year and five years?"   View Answer
    The negotiating phase wasn't bad. The initial offer was less than what I needed and they tried to tell me there was a set range for the position that was less than I needed but they wound up calling me back stating that because of my Masters degree and experience they werer going to bring me on at the rate I needed.

QA Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Hobsons.

I applied online through a job portal. First round was a telephonic interview which lasted about 20 minutes. I was then called for an in person interview which lasted about 2 hours. The whole interview process was pretty fast and smooth. They asked reasonable questions related to the job during each round of interview.

Janitor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hobsons in September 2013.

Phone screen followed by in person interview. Only talked with one person

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Hobsons.

I found job on Craigslist, one interview, two managers, process took about 15 days, background check cleared, Started Nov 28 2005. Company call ApplyYourself, Hobsons bought company in 2008.

Was told that the job offered $30K per year, should ask for more.

User Interaction Designer Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hobsons.

will be asked to present portfolio
    will need to answer questions about ux and design philosophy
    may be asked to take a technical test on front end coding
    will have at least two interviews with team members

Interview Questions
    • I found everything to be pretty standard. Nothing took me off guard.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Finance Manager Interview

2 phone screens and on-site interview with 4 people. Spent about 7 hours total. The 4 people were hiring manager, peer, and 2 customers.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Hobsons in April 2010.

I fond the process a bit frustrating. I was asked questions that I felt were not relevant or had no correct answer to my situation

EMT Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hobsons in April 2012.

I had two phone interviews, one brief and then a longer follow up one. After that I came in for several face to face interviews. The questions were your average garden variety, nothing you wouldn't expect. I had to make it a point to highlight my accomplishments and experience as the interviewers didn't really seem to know where they were going with the interview. Every interviewer asked me to tell them about myself. I mean really? It's not like this was an entry level job I was applying for. It took several days before I heard anything back. Overall, they have great benefits and the pay is good too. But I will add I wasn't very impressed with the interview process and it wouldn't hurt if they got with the 21st century and brushed up on their communication skills.

Interview Questions

Worked for Hobsons? Contribute to the Community!