Holcim IT Support Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Zürich (Switzerland)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at Holcim in April 2011.

The interview took place in Zurich Oerlikon and the interviewers consisted of the HR manager, IT manager and IT support manager. The oldest of them was about 30, the others younger, which made me the oldest with 34 years. The interview was in German, but a little part in English to test my English skills.
Their attitude I would describe as slightly arrogant, like "what do you think you want here, not even living around here but 90 minutes away (in Switzerland this is huge)". However the interview went well until it came to the question of teamwork. Of course we are all teamworkers, but I still want to make a comment "working in a team means working with other people who actually know what they are doing. Otherwise it's a group of people, not a team". So for the next 20 minutes (no kidding) I had to justify my comment because from that point on, I was considered not to be a teamplayer, not being able to work in a team, and probably having issues with supervisors, which is all not true.
2 hours after the interview, the recruiting office called me to tell me that I didn't receive the job because of my English level that was not "very good" but just "average" and my comment about teams and groups.
Even Holcim would have accepted me, I would have declined. They asked me about my salary expectations, so I told them my number (which was totally usual in the market, and what I had at my last job). After hearing my number, they offered me something like 75% of what I asked because the company offers internal training courses (languages and tech) and the possibility to easily work in another country.
Their salary would have been great for a beginner, but not for an experienced technician.

Interview Questions
  • Do you have problems working with other people from other cultures.   Answer Question

Worked for Holcim? Contribute to the Community!