Holcim

Updated Nov 12, 2014
Updated Nov 12, 2014

3.2

Senior Management Position, Group Finance Support Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oerlikon (Switzerland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oerlikon (Switzerland)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Holcim in August 2014.

Great interview, very good technical questions, interviewer and myself had the same technical ERP experiences, overall interview was great!
    Company promoted an "open, honest and direct" communication style between senior management, peers, and subordinates, which is what I appreciate most!

Interview Questions
    • As the company does not pay bonuses, stock options, company cars or a fixed monthly travel allowance (Pauschalspesen), even not at the senior management level I applied for, my most difficult question was: "What is your base salary expectation, considering no bonus, no stock options ....."
      My expectation appeared to be in the range, as I got the next interview within 3 days notice. My salary expectation was never questioned in any of the following meetings!

View Answer

Please see my answer at "Answers or Comment" or "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question"

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taguig (Philippines)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taguig (Philippines)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Holcim in June 2014.

3 interviews. One individual. 2 Groups. 1 with the chief. Quite quick and direct to the point. There are vague areas like the work environment and the nature of the culture. But overall, it s acceptable.

Quick quick.

IT Administrative Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Holcim.

There were 2 interviews. The first one was an IQ test / personality test. The second was a interview with their IT team about goals and questions about why do I want to work for them.

Engineering Freshers Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Holcim.

The staff were very courteous in their behaviour. First there was a technical test and then technical interview. The test included programming fundamentals and current technologies.

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Holcim in April 2011.

The interview took place in Zurich Oerlikon and the interviewers consisted of the HR manager, IT manager and IT support manager. The oldest of them was about 30, the others younger, which made me the oldest with 34 years. The interview was in German, but a little part in English to test my English skills.
    Their attitude I would describe as slightly arrogant, like "what do you think you want here, not even living around here but 90 minutes away (in Switzerland this is huge)". However the interview went well until it came to the question of teamwork. Of course we are all teamworkers, but I still want to make a comment "working in a team means working with other people who actually know what they are doing. Otherwise it's a group of people, not a team". So for the next 20 minutes (no kidding) I had to justify my comment because from that point on, I was considered not to be a teamplayer, not being able to work in a team, and probably having issues with supervisors, which is all not true.
    2 hours after the interview, the recruiting office called me to tell me that I didn't receive the job because of my English level that was not "very good" but just "average" and my comment about teams and groups.
    Even Holcim would have accepted me, I would have declined. They asked me about my salary expectations, so I told them my number (which was totally usual in the market, and what I had at my last job). After hearing my number, they offered me something like 75% of what I asked because the company offers internal training courses (languages and tech) and the possibility to easily work in another country.
    Their salary would have been great for a beginner, but not for an experienced technician.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have problems working with other people from other cultures.   Answer Question

Controller Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Holcim in August 2010.

standard interview questions, conversational style, relaxed; focused on relevant skills and background, less about education and professional qualification. interviewer was well prepared and knew what he was looking for.

The HR questions were easy and focused on personality rather than job-related experiences. The HR process was more formality than anything else and had no impact on the decision making process.

no negotiation

Laboratory Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Popovac, Central Serbia (Serbia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Popovac, Central Serbia (Serbia)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Holcim in July 2010.

I had very uncomfortable experience with this company. They were efficient when it came to make me regret I ever applied. They made me drive 90 kilometers in both ways just to push me around. First, the interview was late so I had to wait 40 minutes, got no apology. The interviewer never made an eye contact, just stared in some papers (not my resume). In my opinion questions were designed not to find out about my qualifications and experience but to show why I shouldn't be hired. Plus the attitude of interviewer was "what are you doing here" like. By the way, I was more than qualified for the position they placed the ad for.

General Student Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Holcim in May 2010.

The interview basically conisists of various behavioural questions, things such as how you handeled a problem in a group enviorment, work enviorment and how you would handle certain situations.

Interview Questions
    • Name a work place related incident that was out of the ordinanary that you witness and how you went about responding to it.   View Answer

Plant Chief Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Salvador (El Salvador)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Salvador (El Salvador)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Holcim in May 2010.

Starts with human resources, then operating manager and then poligraphic test

Interview Questions
    Start with a good salary because raises are not too often. It depends mostly how you are seen by top senior management.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colombo (Sri Lanka)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colombo (Sri Lanka)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Holcim in November 2009.

4 Rounds of Interviews with 1-2 weeks gaps

1) 3 panel interview - tell us about yourself, how your friends describe you, how did you manage a difficult situation, do you mind travelling to the plants, what did you learn about Holcim

2) Assessment Center - divided into groups of 5- 6 members. (i) Arrange the items available in the room in the order of the alphabet (ii) Build up a rocket with the minimum resources and limited time (iii) A 1000 Rupee on the center of the table. Each member has 2 minutes to present a point why the money should be given to the respective person. Two rounds, 2 minutes each. (iv) Individual Assessment - provided a list of activities in a sheet of paper. Organize them according to priority and present them to one of the senior managers at the center.

3) A Visit to the Manufacturing Plant & Quarry

4) Do a final presentation to the CEO & Executive Committee on "Role of Cement On The Construction Industry". Various questions were asked. (i) Questions referred from the presentation (iI) what did you like the most in the manufacturing plant (iii) preferred area of interest

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing difficult in the entire interview process.
      You have to be very confident in the answers you provide as they pick up questions from your responses and derive conclusions based on that.

Answer Question
    The final meeting was arranged with the HR Vice President. Asked what my expectations was and i provided a range. It is always important to offer a range to the salary expectation. However, before presenting the expectation request the organization to know if they have a salary scale.