Holcim

Getting the Interview

9 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Plant Chief Interview

San Salvador (El Salvador)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Holcim in May 2010.

Interview Details – Starts with human resources, then operating manager and then poligraphic test

Interview Question – Most challenging activity ever done   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Start with a good salary because raises are not too often. It depends mostly how you are seen by top senior management.

Junior Marketer Interview

Belgrade (Serbia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Holcim in October 2009.

Interview Details – Holcim engaged a head recruiter, and after the first interview with the same,the second round, was with the CEO. After second round had a meeting with top management (commercial, HR, aggregates). Finally an interview with the line director

Interview Question – What are inco-terms, remember i was a junior marketer candidate, then quality claim (i asked if the product we sold was really faulty,and the line manager said that it was) i started explanation how customer satisfaction leads to repetitive buying as well as buzz word, then the line manager said wrong, i said could you tell me the correct answer, and he said their know-how   Answer Question

IT Administrative Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Holcim.

Interview Details – There were 2 interviews. The first one was an IQ test / personality test. The second was a interview with their IT team about goals and questions about why do I want to work for them.

Interview Question – Why do I want to work for them.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Colombo (Sri Lanka)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Holcim in November 2009.

Interview Details – 4 Rounds of Interviews with 1-2 weeks gaps

1) 3 panel interview - tell us about yourself, how your friends describe you, how did you manage a difficult situation, do you mind travelling to the plants, what did you learn about Holcim

2) Assessment Center - divided into groups of 5- 6 members. (i) Arrange the items available in the room in the order of the alphabet (ii) Build up a rocket with the minimum resources and limited time (iii) A 1000 Rupee on the center of the table. Each member has 2 minutes to present a point why the money should be given to the respective person. Two rounds, 2 minutes each. (iv) Individual Assessment - provided a list of activities in a sheet of paper. Organize them according to priority and present them to one of the senior managers at the center.

3) A Visit to the Manufacturing Plant & Quarry

4) Do a final presentation to the CEO & Executive Committee on "Role of Cement On The Construction Industry". Various questions were asked. (i) Questions referred from the presentation (iI) what did you like the most in the manufacturing plant (iii) preferred area of interest

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult in the entire interview process.
You have to be very confident in the answers you provide as they pick up questions from your responses and derive conclusions based on that.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The final meeting was arranged with the HR Vice President. Asked what my expectations was and i provided a range. It is always important to offer a range to the salary expectation. However, before presenting the expectation request the organization to know if they have a salary scale.

Very Difficult Interview

Sales Officer/Area Manager Interview

Taguig (Philippines)

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Holcim in March 2008.

Interview Details – 1- Take on line examination
2- Interview ( shortlisting)
3- Driving Assessment
4- Final Interview
5- Training
6 - You can start on your new Job

Interview Question – How to sell cigarettes to lung cancer patient.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – They will base at your experience and salary will be base on the nearest pay class which is commensurate to your experience.

Engineering Freshers Interview

Mumbai (India)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Holcim.

Interview Details – The staff were very courteous in their behaviour. First there was a technical test and then technical interview. The test included programming fundamentals and current technologies.

Interview Question – Compare protocols and their port numbers.   Answer Question

IT Support Interview

Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Holcim in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview took place in Zurich Oerlikon and the interviewers consisted of the HR manager, IT manager and IT support manager. The oldest of them was about 30, the others younger, which made me the oldest with 34 years. The interview was in German, but a little part in English to test my English skills.
Their attitude I would describe as slightly arrogant, like "what do you think you want here, not even living around here but 90 minutes away (in Switzerland this is huge)". However the interview went well until it came to the question of teamwork. Of course we are all teamworkers, but I still want to make a comment "working in a team means working with other people who actually know what they are doing. Otherwise it's a group of people, not a team". So for the next 20 minutes (no kidding) I had to justify my comment because from that point on, I was considered not to be a teamplayer, not being able to work in a team, and probably having issues with supervisors, which is all not true.
2 hours after the interview, the recruiting office called me to tell me that I didn't receive the job because of my English level that was not "very good" but just "average" and my comment about teams and groups.
Even Holcim would have accepted me, I would have declined. They asked me about my salary expectations, so I told them my number (which was totally usual in the market, and what I had at my last job). After hearing my number, they offered me something like 75% of what I asked because the company offers internal training courses (languages and tech) and the possibility to easily work in another country.
Their salary would have been great for a beginner, but not for an experienced technician.

Interview Question – Do you have problems working with other people from other cultures.   Answer Question

Laboratory Supervisor Interview

Popovac, Central Serbia (Serbia)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Holcim in July 2010.

Interview Details – I had very uncomfortable experience with this company. They were efficient when it came to make me regret I ever applied. They made me drive 90 kilometers in both ways just to push me around. First, the interview was late so I had to wait 40 minutes, got no apology. The interviewer never made an eye contact, just stared in some papers (not my resume). In my opinion questions were designed not to find out about my qualifications and experience but to show why I shouldn't be hired. Plus the attitude of interviewer was "what are you doing here" like. By the way, I was more than qualified for the position they placed the ad for.

Interview Question – Are you applying for any other jobs?   View Answer

General Student Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Holcim in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview basically conisists of various behavioural questions, things such as how you handeled a problem in a group enviorment, work enviorment and how you would handle certain situations.

Interview Question – Name a work place related incident that was out of the ordinanary that you witness and how you went about responding to it.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Holcim? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Holcim interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Holcim employees and interview candidates.