Holiday Retirement

Average Difficulty
25 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Community Manager

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Holiday Retirement in March 2014.

Interview Details – Filled out application online and included resume. First interview was over the phone, then an "in person" interview was scheduled about 2 weeks later. Met at a community just a few hours from home. Interviewed in one of the apartments at a kitchen table. Interviewer was great, very professional. Longer than most interviews. Was then offered a 3rd interview in Atlanta (I think) with the Regional or Area Manager.

Interview Question – How well do you handle the aging population?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Money. They have a "standard" amount they pay incoming managers. It would have resulted in a 50% pay cut for me. I couldn't believe how little they pay. Yes, you can get bonuses, but not enough to repay the lost income. The company offers you free room and board and 3 meals a day in the dining room, but for me it still wasn't enough money. It also did not seem "family friendly". We have to live on site and we have children, which I was fine with, but they were not. All four of us couldn't live in a 1 bedroom apartment. I think this is how they get around hiring people with children.

Columbia, SC

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Holiday Retirement in January 2010.

Interview Details – Very detailed with sense of urgency. Telephone interview that led to traveling to another location interviewer hesitant to talk salary until conclusion and amazed to find 25,000 a year

Negotiation Details – Sign oOne regional offered raise after three months and new regional had no knowledge and did not fulfill promises

Greenville, SC

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Holiday Retirement in July 2011.

Interview Details – This is such a brief interview. They will sit and talk to you about seniors, sales, and taking care of your residents. It is a very informal interview. If you are breathing and walking this company will hire you.

Interview Question – When can you come to work   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase. They will hire you if you are breathing

Riverside, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Holiday Retirement in May 2013.

Interview Details – They fly you out to meet a recruiter, who asks if you can deal with sad situation with seniors. Once they tell you about the company they ask you if you are ok with starting a job and going to a training class with no idea where you will be working when your training class is over,.

Interview Question – Can you start in one week but we will not tell you where you will be working,.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is none.

Portland, OR

I applied online - interviewed at Holiday Retirement in June 2010.

Interview Details – Sent in resume and cover letter responding to an advertisement. Did one initial phone interview, followed by two in person interviews. The interviews were professional and done by a team of interviewers. Second day after second in person interview we were offered a position.

Interview Question – What significant changes will you have to make in your personal life to adjust to living in a community of dignified seniors?   Answer Question

Louisville, KY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Holiday Retirement in August 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process is fairly quick. Online interview, phone interview, face to face interview and then training all in three weeks. Holiday will spend lots of money on you for transportation, lodging, rental car, and food. The training does not tell you a true picture of what to expect when at community.

Interview Question – Do you like to work with seniors?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. They will be hiring for a specific location an all the pay is predetermined. They will not tell you where you will be working so after training you may have to move and they give you one week to pack and move into the community.

Community Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Holiday Retirement in October 2009.

Interview Details – My husband and I were interviewed by a wonderful carng couple that were community managers/trainers. They asked many qustions regarding our work background and how it might apply to the retirement home industry. It was not a high pressured interview. We also interviewed with the regional manager about a week later. Again not a high presure interview. Its been a few years since so I don't recall exact dioloque

Interview Question – I don't recall   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no, we were told that everyone starts out at the same yearly amount but when we were promoted to Manager it would go up.

Detroit, MI

I applied online and interviewed at Holiday Retirement.

Interview Details – Pretty much if their are two of you and you have a pulse you will get hired. At least until the run a background check after sending you to training and it turns up you have a felony record. Ops shoul have run it prior to hiring don't you think!

Interview Question – Do you help assist in emergencied   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If you have a pulse you are hired.

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Holiday Retirement in August 2012.

Interview Details – Great. We were treated well and with dignity.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Just straight-forward information. Very professional   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My husband and I have worked together for many years. Our proposal was straight forward as well as their proposal. No hidden agenda

Nashville, TN

I applied online - interviewed at Holiday Retirement in November 2011.

Interview Details – Just be open and honest about your experience. .

Interview Question – Life balance issues are going to be brought up   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They said they did not negotiate on salary but I would press them. They need managers desperately.

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!