Holiday Retirement

2.2

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Simi Valley, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Simi Valley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Holiday Retirement in June 2012.

A phone interview was the first step. After that, a second interview was scheduled about three hours driving distance from the location they were hiring for. All of the staff at the other location were warm and welcoming, although the actual interview was more than a half hour behind schedule. The recruiter was, bluntly, egotistical and unprofessional. She kept to the normal questions of a second interview but I believe, if given the opportunity, she would have talked about herself the whole time while having her feet hiked up on a chair, which she mostly accomplished. I should have expected she would be a week late on getting back to us.

Interview Questions
  • Are you able to handle a work environment where tenants pass away frequently?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Holiday Retirement

Community Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Holiday Retirement in January 2012.

Contacted within 1 week of submitting resume. Flown to Las Vegas for an interview. All expenses paid. Offer made at interview. Flown to training for two weeks in Dallas. Had four days to move to community after returning home.

Interview Questions
    • How would you respond if you found a resident who had committed suicide.   View Answer
    There was none. They were not willing to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online – interviewed at Holiday Retirement in November 2011.

Just be open and honest about your experience. .

Interview Questions
    • Life balance issues are going to be brought up   View Answer
    They said they did not negotiate on salary but I would press them. They need managers desperately.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Mirada, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Mirada, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Holiday Retirement in August 2011.

*Applied
    *Received call for phone interview very quickly
    *1:2 Interview (myself & spouse). Very straight-forward, upfront & pleasant.
    *taken on a tour by a manager of another location. Very nice & very helpful manager that told us the true ups and downs of the job. Didn't try to hide any facts about the difficulty of the position.
    *treated to lunch @ the facility.
    *only location available was for an area not advertised that didn't work for us at this time. =

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Holiday Retirement in July 2011.

This is such a brief interview. They will sit and talk to you about seniors, sales, and taking care of your residents. It is a very informal interview. If you are breathing and walking this company will hire you.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation phase. They will hire you if you are breathing

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Holiday Retirement in April 2011.

My partner and I were required to apply as a team. At first, this company was falling all over themselves trying to get us through the interview process. They were very efficient in processing our paperwork and very accomodating of our schedules. We had a three-way phone screening, followed by an in-person with the recruiter, and finally a 90-minute interview with a regional VP. Both of the latter were held at a Holiday community very convenient to where we live. It was a lovely facility that I would be happy to have a family member living in. Our impression of Holiday up to that point was that they were very professional and well-managed, although we did feel blind-sided by having another community manager included on the interview panel with the VP without being told about that in advance. Neither of these gentlemen gave us contact information, which made it hard to send thank yous and hard to follow up later when we didn't hear back from anyone.

This second interview started off well enough, but the other manager weighed in several times with negative comments directed toward my partner, although he seemed to really like me. He did say that we were both very well qualified. I got the feeling that the VP was relying on him to make a decision instead of making it himself. After a while the VP suddenly and abruptly cut the interview off out of the blue. From that point forward, the company stonewalled us and they were as cold as ice. Even though the VP told us we'd be hearing from the recruiter as our next step, she never so much as emailed us back for the next two weeks. She probably never would have at all, except that my partner called to inquire about the status of our application and ended up having to hunt her down because she wouldn't take a call.

Overall, the company looks solid as far as compensation and professional growth. I got the impression that their first priority is staying ahead of the competition in their market by fulfilling the residents' needs to a tee. I don't have a problem with that- I just would like to be treated with similar regard. It was jarring to experience that at first and then have the rug snatched out from under me. I have no information on whether the hiring efforts in other regions are as odd and disjointed as this felt.

Interview Questions
    • "Why seniors?"   View Answer
    • They will not ask you a question directly, but they are looking for the right chemistry between you and your partner, as well as potential good chemistry between you and your co-managers and you and the residents.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online – interviewed at Holiday Retirement in June 2010.

Sent in resume and cover letter responding to an advertisement. Did one initial phone interview, followed by two in person interviews. The interviews were professional and done by a team of interviewers. Second day after second in person interview we were offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • What significant changes will you have to make in your personal life to adjust to living in a community of dignified seniors?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Holiday Retirement in January 2010.

Very detailed with sense of urgency. Telephone interview that led to traveling to another location interviewer hesitant to talk salary until conclusion and amazed to find 25,000 a year

Sign oOne regional offered raise after three months and new regional had no knowledge and did not fulfill promises

Community Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Holiday Retirement in October 2009.

My husband and I were interviewed by a wonderful carng couple that were community managers/trainers. They asked many qustions regarding our work background and how it might apply to the retirement home industry. It was not a high pressured interview. We also interviewed with the regional manager about a week later. Again not a high presure interview. Its been a few years since so I don't recall exact dioloque

Interview Questions
    no, we were told that everyone starts out at the same yearly amount but when we were promoted to Manager it would go up.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Holiday Retirement in July 2009.

When we were interviewed the whole process was rather disjointed and un-professional. The recruiter (worked for Holiday) had no idea what was going on ...very disorganized. ...our first interview could hardly be called an interview though. We were interviewed twice, both times left with the understanding we would be hired and would be contacted soon. Both times we had to contact the recruiter only to find out he knew nothing...after the 2nd interview (by the RSL) we at least had a contact...I think we were eventually hired because we kept pestering her for information about our status.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation...take it or leave it.