Holiday Retirement

Updated Nov 20, 2014
Updated Nov 20, 2014

2.0

Community Sales Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Holiday Retirement in July 2013.

Got a call first from regional recruiter. They were very helpful and offered several regions to me as choices. Once I chose a region, then came the in person interview with regional manager. The company was very good about making that process happen easily for me. After that I received a written offer and just completed the necessary paperwork and background checks. Unfortunately, they hire and fire so much...that the process for them and the candidate is pretty seemless.

Interview Questions
    • None..it was a 10 minute interview with regional manager.   View Answer
    Nothing. I was offered a base amount of salary plus commission. I was desperate so I took it and didn't negotiate. I found out later the salary was similar to others BUT the commission structure changed often and was taxed as a bonus so more than 50 percent was taken out in taxes each month. It really affects morale when you work hard to earn a commission and then it gets taxed more heavily than a standard pay rate! Big mistake for Holiday Retirement!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Holiday Retirement.

The recruiter ask you a couple questions about your background and tells you about the position over the phone. I was then scheduled for a face to face and spoke with the managers about the community. Offered the position with a couple weeks

Interview Questions
    • The unexpected question was "Are you aware we have bad reviews on Glassdoors?" I never heard a recruiter start off making a statement like that   Answer Question

After all the bad reviews I declined

Co Manager Interview

Initial phone interview; HR rep was friendly and professional. Face to face interview was very thorough in explaining training process, length of time, 1 week at a community and then 2 weeks sales training.

Community Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Holiday Retirement in January 2012.

Contacted within 1 week of submitting resume. Flown to Las Vegas for an interview. All expenses paid. Offer made at interview. Flown to training for two weeks in Dallas. Had four days to move to community after returning home.

Interview Questions
    • How would you respond if you found a resident who had committed suicide.   View Answer
    There was none. They were not willing to negotiate.

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New England (Jamaica)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New England (Jamaica)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Holiday Retirement in November 2010.

Very casual - we had anticipated testing (at least a personality profile etc.). No confirmation letter of hire - just a phone call. We had to ask for a written notification of hire..

Unable to accelerate health coverage eligibility (probationary period).

Community Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Holiday Retirement.

We first applied for the position online and were contacted by recruiter via email within 2 days. She set up a phone interview with both my partner and I. The main portion of the interview consisted of her explaining the company and the role to us. There were few questions in regards to our employment history. She then scheduled a 1 on 1 interview with the regional recruiter that took place 3 days later in a city a few hours from our home. The interview took place at one of the communities. The community was beautiful and the residents seemed to be very happy. The regional recruiter was very professional and asked us standard questions in regards to our work history, skill levels, and ability for my partner and I to work together 24hrs/day. After he left the building we sat with the Senior Manager of that community and learned more information about the company and the job. The job sounded very fulfilling, salary plus bonus and paid living expenses seem to be substantial.

The recruiter told us to expect a call from the RD within the next 2 days. After 2 days of waiting and no word from the RD we contacted the recruiter to find out that the RD was out of the office that particular week but we were assured that we would hear from him the following week.

Still waiting....

Interview Questions
    • All questions were pretty basic. If you've had any success in management and sales you will have no problem.   Answer Question

Co-Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Holiday Retirement.

I applied on-line. You will then get a call. If you are a candidate the company will call you right away. If you don't get a call you may want to reapply in a month. You have 2 phone interviews then you will get a call from a Regional for a 1on1. If the Regional thinks you are a fit she will have you finish the paperwork then a contract will get signed. Then you will be going to training for a few weeks. It will be mostly on sales. They do pay your moving expenses after you have turned in you receipts. Then you will be at training community for two more weeks. You will then be with another set of Main managers. If you are unhappy with the match the company does try to re-locate you to a different community. It takes about a good year and a half to get real comfortable with the job. It you can weather the first year you will be accustomed to the way the company works. If you love people this can be very rewarding. If you only need a job, do the company and yourself a favor and don't even apply. This is not for the weary.

Interview Questions
    • You will be asked if you can work with your partner?. It takes a while to get on board but you will get a job. There is a high turn over and they are always in need of managers. The central California Region has a great regional Manager Javiera Garcia. She works very hard to take care of her managers and to solve any issues that arise. This kind of work is not for everyone. I almost left a few times but hunkered down an made the best of it. Now I would not leave unless I really needed to. There is always room for improvement in any company.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. Either you accept or not.

Co-Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Holiday Retirement in March 2014.

The process was straight forward. We submitted our resumes online and were in touch shortly with a staffing agent. Our phone interviews went well. We took the initiative to visit a couple of facilities in the area and the managers there gave us a good referral. We were offered positions in Lethbridge Alberta, expecting to make the move there in less than a month.

Interview Questions

We called the manager in Lethbridge to introduce ourselves and she was unaware they had hired us, as she had expected someone else. Also, the current co-manager couple did NOT know they were being replaced. This was a big red flag for us, as this could be us getting the rug pulled out from under us. We expressed our concern to our hiring manager via email and never heard anything back. We decided to not pursue this, given these events, and the outstanding amount of bad reviews of the company so far.

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newberg, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newberg, OR

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Holiday Retirement in January 2014.

I walked into the office and asked the hiring manager if there were any openings. She had me fill out an application and asked me to wait after I was done for an interview. Once I finished filling out the application she brought me into the office and asked me when I wanted to start. She didn't even look at my application or ask me a single question. Granted, I did have a well liked employee go in and give me a good reference.

Community Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Holiday Retirement in March 2014.

Filled out application online and included resume. First interview was over the phone, then an "in person" interview was scheduled about 2 weeks later. Met at a community just a few hours from home. Interviewed in one of the apartments at a kitchen table. Interviewer was great, very professional. Longer than most interviews. Was then offered a 3rd interview in Atlanta (I think) with the Regional or Area Manager.

Interview Questions

Money. They have a "standard" amount they pay incoming managers. It would have resulted in a 50% pay cut for me. I couldn't believe how little they pay. Yes, you can get bonuses, but not enough to repay the lost income. The company offers you free room and board and 3 meals a day in the dining room, but for me it still wasn't enough money. It also did not seem "family friendly". We have to live on site and we have children, which I was fine with, but they were not. All four of us couldn't live in a 1 bedroom apartment. I think this is how they get around hiring people with children.