Holland America Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 14, 2014
14 interviews

2.7

Personal Cruise Consultant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Holland America.

Not a truthful or fully accurate process. They advise that you will "ramp up" however, they don't mention that the high pressure sales goal will go to top level requirements within 4 months. You need at least 1 year to meet target if not more. More often than not at least 50% of the sales team doesn't reach target.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions involve relationships with past co-workers and why you left the last employer.   Answer Question
    There wasn't a negotiation process. They offered me $29,000 and actually only gave me $28K. I didn't know that this was the case until after they started paying me so, I fought for the difference and they refused.

Owner's Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Holland America in October 2010.

Depends at which location and for what level?? My interview was over three meetings. Intial impression (to me) was positive at the time. I looked forward to the challenge know that I was capable of correcting the stated short comings.

incomplete

Direct Reservations/Inbound Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Holland America in June 2012.

The hiring process is normal, face to face interview with two sales coaches. They will ask you a series of preset questions. Be personable, have set goals in mind and think money!

No negotiation.

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

interviewed at Holland America in February 2009.

The interview process is very long and there was a lot of red tape. The actual interview was great.

Interview Questions
    It was good, they gave me a low offer than what I wanted, but came back and gave me the salary I wanted.

Java Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Holland America in November 2010.

My staffing agency initially set me up for a phone interview (not a phone screen). It was very high level with some very generic questions about process within a Software Development Life Cycle. It was fairly brief (considering it was an interview, not a screen) at 30 minutes.

Holland America expressed interest after the phone interview, and my staffing agency set up an interview with me and their Dev team and their interim Director. Most of the questions designed to gauge my skillset relating to Quality and process were asked by the interim Director. Questions asked by the Dev team members were /slightly/ more technical. No white-boarding required. The interview was highly non-technical -- I gather the interview's primary objective was to check for a culture fit. As the interview ended, I asked if they had any questions they had forgotten/missed, anything they wanted to follow up on from earlier in the interview, or lingering questions regarding any aspect of what my skillset could bring to the company. They had none. The interview was scheduled for 45 minutes but it ran 1.5 hours.

They declined to extend an offer because
    1. they perceived I was too rigid with certain tools and opinions, though I was not questioned about this.
    2. When they asked me to talk about one of my favorite topics, they misinterpreted my enthusiasm as condescending.

The team lacks a permanent Director, though the interim Director seemed fairly sharp. The Development team is fairly "old-fashioned" in their Development techniques: Waterfall, no testing, no process. This role was created to address those issues and they sounded very interested in change, advice, and recommendations. The team members seemed very easy to get a long with, though the interview gave me the perception they might have some interpersonal communication issues.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Holland America in March 2010.

I interviewed with 2 people - each was 20 mins long. Basic questions about my resume and background. didn't really have that much to talk about since interview was so brief.

Driver Guide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Provo, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Holland America in November 2008.

The interviewers were very friendly and want to make sure that you had a sense of humor. If you are a hard worker and willing to give your all to the job, you will probably get it. It is sometimes hard to get people to commit to a whole summer and oftentimes they are betting money that you will stay with them, so have a possitive attitude.

Senior Sales Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Holland America in October 2009.

Asked via phone to come in for an interview a few days after applying. Had a one on one with the immediate supervisor for an hour or so. Then another interview with a Controller as a kind of "skills test", though verbal for a computer system! In any event top floor jobs are strict business attire, building is fairly nice, close to the Space Needle and the waterfront (PI building).

Interview Questions
    • Name exact times you used Access/Excel/SQL etc. to make a project/system.   Answer Question

Driver Guide Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Holland America in January 2009.

After I was hired, I was told that I wasn't immediately denied because I dressed in business casual instead of regular street clothes, (no brainer huh!). Then I sat down, did a one on one interview with a lady who asked me personality questions and my ability to entertain large groups of people.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to entertain a group of people.   Answer Question

Assistant Cruise Director Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Holland America.

I applied online and had a phone interview several days later. Shortly thereafter I was called back and offered a 6 week contract in Alaska and once that was finished and I recieved a good review from my Cruise Director I was offered an 8 month contract sailing from LA to Australia and New Zealand and then on to SouthEast Asia.

Interview Questions
    • PRobably why do you want to work in the cruise industry.   View Answer
    You are able to negotiate contracts before your trial contract. There after you are stuck, so negotiate hard at first. You can also negotiate where you want to sale and they are somewhat open to that.

Worked for Holland America? Contribute to the Community!