Holland & Barrett Retail Interview Questions

Updated Jul 6, 2015

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Holland & Barrett Retail.

Interview

Applied online, took 2 weeks for a phone call asking for a face to face interview. Manager read questions from a book then talked to me about training (there is ALOT of training that comes with this role) After 2 days was asked to come in for a trial day lasting 4hrs.

Interview Questions

• What is good customer service? Strengths and weaknesses? Why did you apply? Basic customer service questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You start off at basic minimum wage, after one section of training is done your wage will go up (depending on how far you want to go) - 3 stages

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Holland & Barrett Retail.

Interview

unprofessional, you have only conversation with ASM and Regional Manager, so it all depends if they like you or someone wants to promote you. They should change whole recruitment process, like in other companies, you have an interview, test, shop-floor activity and you are judged by whole team of people.

Interview Questions

• Main questions are obviously about ways of increasing sales.   Answer Question

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bracknell, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Holland & Barrett Retail (Bracknell, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Went to First Interview everything went well. Asked to go for a Second Interview and a Trail Day of work, was successful. Asked to come and see a Area Manager in a location not near myself, and when I said I was not able to travel that far on that day, I was told I either come on the day the Area manager says or they will withdraw my application. Not at all professional or flexible or even understanding to the situation. The meeting with the Area manager would have been 2 hours away from me on Public Transport.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to travel 2 hours from my the store I applied.   Answer Question

Work Experience Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Holland & Barrett Retail.

Interview

As this was only Work Experience I was not actually interviewed. I was just introduced to the manager who was also going to be my supervisor. I DISCOVERED the theme of their store I did not know about it at first as I do not usually visit these stores. Although I have said 2010 it was actually 2005 but I could not select that year.

Supervisor At Holland and Barrett Interview

Anonymous Employee in Addlestone, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Holland & Barrett Retail (Addlestone, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

Good until the final stage. Despite only applying for a part time job I feel that the Area Manager who conducted my second interview made a biased decision based on my current employer, with whom they had a previous relationship with. I also found them unprofessional in regard to my appearance. Despite the fact that I had positive reviews from the Manager during my first interview, and store that I had my trial with. As someone who has many years in retail management I believe in being courteous to people, yet I found myself highly disappointed with the end process and the fact that no feedback was given to the store that had intended to hire me.

Interview Questions

• I have a question about your piercing. Can you remove it for this job due to clientele?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Holland & Barrett Retail (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

Firstly, if your application is successful you will be phoned (as with most jobs) and asked a few (2/3) pre-interview questions before a date is set up for the face to face interview. The face to face interview lasted about an hour for me. The manager was incredibly friendly and welcoming. The questions asked were all fairly standard interview questions which were not difficult to answer. I hear that usually interviewees are made to try and sell Healthy Living magazine to customers under scrutiny of the manager immediately after being questioned. Thankfully, I was let off with that part and asked when I could do a trial shift. I may have been let off as I already had a nutrition related degree, and so could probably pass the courses that sales associates are expected to complete there. The trial shift went well. Mostly consisted of stacking shelves and showing customers where to find certain items. At the end of the shift I was told that another lad was going to be interviewed that afternoon and if he did well he would also be given a trial shift, otherwise I would be given the position. A few hours later they called me offering the job. Overall, a very positive experience. The only negative would be not being paid for the trial shift. The last thing I had to do was to come to the store and fill out an application form to be sent to HR and bring in my passport and NI number.

Interview Questions

• Trying to sell that magazine to customers would have been the worst part if I had had to do it. Otherwise, it was probably the questions I received over the phone, simply because I'd had no preparation time.   Answer Question

There were complications after I received the job offer. The district manager had suddenly left and apparently the managers were not able to accept new staff over the transitional period. I was given many apologies and was told to call the store every two weeks to see what was currently going on. Two months later, the store manager called and told me that they were now free to hire me if I still wished to accept their offer. Since I had since found a job at a bar which paid more per hour, gave more weekly shifts and was closer to my house, I declined. It's a shame as I had really been looking forward to working there.

Assistant Interview

Interview

one to one interview

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Holland & Barrett Retail in November 2013.

Interview

Interview was relatively run of the mill, asked questions about previous work experiences and a lot of situational questions, such as: "Why do you want to work for the company?", "Was there ever a situation where you made a mistake, and what did you do to fix it?", "Describe a situation where you disagreed with a coworker and how you overcame it." Interviewer had a booklet and was reading off questions and taking notes the entire time. Not very interactive as there was a lot of writing being done by the interviewer, not sure whether or not they were actually listening or if i was saying the right things.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Holland & Barrett Retail in September 2013.

Interview

Applied online on the website. Got a phone call (I think a week later) to ask me to come to the interview process. Went to the interview, and got interviewed by the manager at the time. She was very friendly. It was my first retail job, so she had to miss out a lot of the questions on the question sheet, as they didn't apply to me (I was 16 at the time). After the interview was over, I received a call a few days later from the shop, asking if I would do a trial shift for them. In this trial shift, they wanted me to do a planogram (reorganising a bay of products), and generally show some friendly customer service. I think the trial was about 3 hours long, but can't remember. Everything went smoothly, eventhough the planogram was a bit hard to follow at first, but the staff were friendly to me and offered assistance when I didn't know what to do. A few days after, I got another phone call to say that I was successful and that I should start my next shift on the Saturday.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Holland & Barrett Retail (London, England (UK)) in August 2013.

Interview

There was no structured interview. I was interviewed by assistant manager, who was definitely not trained in recruitment process. Overall the atmosphere was relaxed. The explained me the he hours of contract and days which i will work, informed me about hourly rate and commission scheme as well as Trainings which I will have to complete. I asked more question about job, such as what they are looking for in terms of my first few days in work.

Interview Questions

• Why Holland Barrett? How will you commute to work? Do you have any questions for me ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

there was none.