Home Depot

Getting the Interview

43 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Syracuse, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Home Depot.

Interview Details – Online then interview and drug test.

Interview Question – Whats the hardest work issue you had? And the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Home Depot in November 2010.

Interview Details – Structured interview with approximately 5-7 questions. Be confident in your answers.

Interview Question – Confrontation with another supervisor/associeate   Answer Question

Department Supervisor

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in January 2010.

Interview Details – Be prepared to tell very specific success stories. Use examples, toot your horn. Appreciate HD culture and opportunities.

Interview Question – How did you overcome your biggest weakness (previously asked) in order to successfully serve a customer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was one of about 2000 people applying for 100 jobs in a new store, so I was happy to be offered a job.

Interviewed at Home Depot

Interview Details – Hiring is done through a centralized HR in Atlanta, Ga. If you pass the online assessment they will call for a screening interview, once you pass for the screening interview your name will be sent to the store, who then in turn will schedule in person interview. The interview are probing questions, "Describe a time you had good customer service" "Describe a time you and a fellow employee didn't get along" etc. Once Hired you have a 2-3 week training in house on a computer, then you are 'thrown to the wolves'

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had a bad customer experience   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered a $ I accepted.

Edison, NJ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in October 2013.

Interview Details – received a call from the automated system stating they were seeking to interview me for a department supervisor position. set up interview time and went to first interview. which my all accounts went very, very well. I have over 5 years of previous experience as a department supervisor and over 5 year of experience as a district manager with was my most recent job. not to mention the 15+ years I have in general contracting work in construction. I was making 60k annually not including bonus. Upon my second interview? the general manager was not present even though I was told it would be with him as well as the assistant manager in charge of that specific department. I explained to the assistant manager (whom by the way was pretty professional as well as the first manager) that I was seeking a role with pay that was commensurate to my prior experience and skills that I had in my previous job. and that while I realize wouldn't b making 60k or even low to mid 50's? I understand that you have to start somewhere and I am very willing to take on the role as my research in the pay range was very thorough. the role as department supervisor pays anywhere between 11 and 22 per hour depending on years of experience, education etc... I was very well qualified. and was told by the assistant manager that he cannot extend me a job offer because the GM was not there and that the pay would be more around the 13 dollar per hour range! needless to say I wasn't very pleased to hear that and I did explain to him that this kind of pay was in the very low end of what they compensate for such a role and the I would be needing to make at least 18 per hour in order to make ends meet so I can afford my mortgage etc. again, I was very willing to start out with this company and would still like to very much, they were extremely EAGER to hire me but the job offer even though it was not formal or permitted was insulting to say the least. I thought the home depot was an EOE? I was very saddened to go through what I just went through even though I know they could have been more accommodating with an offer. I still apply to this day to become an assistant manager at home depot and my prior experience fits the role perfectly. it would be nice to speak with someone at your corporate offices about this experience and how I could go about getting fast tracked for an interview at the home depot. again I in no way hold these 2 assistant managers accountable for this process I feel that it could have been handled more gracefully and with more tact financially speaking the role does suit my financial goals to start and I am a father of 3 kids and I am looking to support my wife and children as she does not make enough money with her FT time and we are in need of a better career choice. I was laid off from my previous employer which whom I have a very high level professional reference from.

Interview Question – the interview questions on the first round were more structured.(STAR questions) the second interview guy basically did not follow the script and went off the cuff with a couple of questions of which I easily answered. the manager had the packet and drug test ready to hand to me at that time. although he could not because the salary was not in line with what I was expecting and needed to survive.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – the salary offer was not even close to what I was expecting for a department supervisor. I had no choice but to walk away. it was very unfortunate as I love the home depot and have great career aspirations to be an assistant manager there one day.

Anchorage, AK

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Home Depot in September 2013.

Interview Details – Very simple. They contacted me with in a few days of my applying and wanted to meet with me. I scheduled an interview. Upon arrival they felt i was more qualified for a managers slot. I was immediately scheduled for a interview with the district human resources department. Two days later I had a job.

Negotiation Details – Very easy.....

Department Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot.

Interview Details – 2 interviews at initial hire. 2 at each promotion.

Interview Question – The worst questions are the scripted "Tell me about a time" questions. They vary with the position in which you are applying. Most revolve around hardship, customer service and accomplishments. Be prepared with specific past experiences before interviewing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Clifton, NJ

I applied through other source and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in April 2011.

Interview Details – Mary Gennace comes off as sweet, but she really is a bully in sheep's clothing. Took weeks to hear back from her/them and on my first shift they told me not to come to work.

Interview Question – Wasn't a question...but I was TOLD that just because I got hired it didn't mean I would get many hours.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiating....I was told it paid $ XYZ...Want it?

Tulsa, OK

I applied online - interviewed at Home Depot in August 2013.

Interview Details – Very nice, professional, kind, great interview

Interview Question – No difficult question, decade years experience in the field, the question was not a problem.   Answer Question

Naperville, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Home Depot in July 2009.

Interview Details – Two people will interview you only after the first interviewer passes you on. If they tell you that they will be in contact with you, they won't call you back.

Interview Question – How you would handle two associates not getting along with each other.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They will usually pay you a little more than you were making, but they won't go to far beyond tha.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Home Depot

Worked for Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Home Depot Videos

Home Depot – Why Work for Us?

Our Company When it was founded in 1978 by Bernie Marcus and Arthur Blank, The Home Depot began changing consumers’ perspectives about how they could care for and improve their homes. The Company created the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Home Depot Department Supervisor interview questions and advice. All 43 interview reviews posted anonymously by Home Depot employees and interview candidates.