Home Depot

Getting the Interview

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Home Depot in April 2014.

Interview Details – This was for one of ten IT Intern positions for the Austin Technology Center in Austin, TX. I spoke with multiple reps at the UT CNS career fair then was contact by a recruiter months later (late process) to have a phone call. Phone call was pretty much, "Why The Home Depot?" Then that lead to an onsite interview almost another month later. The onsite interview was a day long event where all the potential interns went to the ATC at 8:00am for breakfast, speakers, tours, and interviews throughout the day. Each potential was given one 30 minute one-on-one interview with managers that have projects lined up for the 12 week Summer internship. After that, they tell you that you would receive a decision phone call the following week.

Interview Question – The interview process did not have any SPECIFIC technical questions, but mainly personal questions like the following:

-Tell me about yourself.
-Tell me about a project you have done.

Then they would follow up and maybe ask questions of 'how' or 'why' for the things you said.
Ex. I spoke about a project I did for my Network Security and Privacy course where we exploited buffer overflows. The interviewer asked me to explain what they are and I proceeded to draw a picture of a simple exploit. I also brought my laptop in to show an ongoing project I was working on during the time from a class and they found it very impressive since I showed it to him and also explained my roll in the group project
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked for a verbal commitment, but stated officially you don't have to say anything until a week after this phone call. 12-week internship program, 40hrs/wk, and $20/hr. No negotiation on those terms (internship duh).

Interviewed at Home Depot

Interview Details – Applied online. Phone interview, process took about two weeks. They were very unprofessional. They were 30 minutes later than they said they would be. They were eating lunch, so I heard chewing the entire time. There were no behavioral questions: all scenarios. Sent an email a week later saying I didn't get an offer, then they sent another email six weeks later saying again that I didn't get an offer. Luckily, I received a far superior internship elsewhere, so I'm happy.

Interview Question – All they asked me about was Java terms. I was in my third week of learning it in school and they asked me all of these scenarios I hadn't learned yet.   Answer Question

Intern IT Interview

Interviewed at Home Depot

Interview Details – University Campus Interview: I was asked both behavioral and technical questions. The behavioral questions are the usual questions such as "What is a problem you faced and how did you solve it?" and etc. The technical question consist of SQL and JAVA/Object Oriented Programming, such as what is encapsulation, aggregate functions, and etc.

Interview Question – Some questions they asked are what is inner join and outer join. It was too specific.   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Home Depot.

Interview Details – The first interview was based on personal traits and resume questions. The second interview was at their home office in Atlanta. Three different departments interviewed me which would last up to one hour for each interview.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Home Depot

Worked for Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Home Depot Videos

Home Depot – Why Work for Us?

Our Company When it was founded in 1978 by Bernie Marcus and Arthur Blank, The Home Depot began changing consumers’ perspectives about how they could care for and improve their homes. The Company created the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Home Depot IT Intern interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Home Depot employees and interview candidates.