Home Depot

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Getting the Interview

1,198 candidate interviews

Missouri City, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in April 2009.

Interview Details – First of all, I had an interview and the Store Manager(SM) was at lunch. I waited 45 minutes. The assistant store manager(ASM) comes in no one could find my application and doesn't know how to print another one off the computer. I'm being interviewed by someone elses application. The Human Resources(HR) person comes in from lunch about 5 minutes later(the person who gave me the interview time) did not know where my application was(printed one-did a whole new packet). SM comes in 15 minutes later(AN HOUR LATE!) No apology. Did not interview me. There was no where to interview me we went from office to office. After being interviewed by ASM (the SM, ASM and HR talk for about 5 minutes in a office). The ASM comes out and say they would call me at the end of the week. That has been a very long week. Why lie? I really need a job I have bills too! Well at lease they treat the customers better than they do future employees. These are the type of people that are actually running one of america's top companies. Overall the experience was just horrible! The moral to this story is that there are people out here that really really need a job and just because you have one don't give you the right to be so insensitive to that because you could very easily be on that side of the fence. I hope this story helps someone.

Interview Question – If you noticed an employee doing a task and it could be done another way to save time. What would you do?   View Answer

Sales Associate - Flooring and Walls Interview

Sales Associate - Flooring and Walls
Bainbridge, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in July 2012.

Interview Details – What a nightmare this was. I applied online and was called a few days later. I did an interview over the phone and everything went well.They set up a time for me to go into the store for an interview. When I arrived, the HR person was too busy with an orientation to interview me and just passed it off to some random department manager. This was disturbing because obviously she double booked herself, it's not like she was just caught up in something unavoidable. Interview was fine but it was clear this guy didnt know a thing about interviewing someone (rude, almost mean). I was contacted a week later for a second interview. Later, they cancelled and rescheduled for a Sunday morning. When I arrived on Sunday, the manager was not there again. Some 18 year old kid interviewed me instead but it was a complete waste of time since he could not make a decision anyway. I called to follow up to see when I should come in and they scheduled me for another interview (3rd or 4th if you count the phone interview!) a week later. Then the day before, they cancelled AGAIN! By the way, I am qualified for the position with a four year BS degree in Pre-architecture and Interior Design and 5 years experience working exclusively in flooring (and I'm cute and friendly too!). I guess it worked out in the end because I interviewed for a visual merchandising position elsewhere and was hired ON THE SPOT. Home depot, you missed out on a qualified individual and have lost a $5,000+/year customer.

Interview Question – Role play-Walk through a sale with a customer purchasing carpet.   Answer Question

Accounting Interview

Atlanta, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at Home Depot in April 2008.

Interview Details – The interview began with a panel of 8 employees coming into a small room and sitting across from me. They were all expressionless-- like robots. Randomly, they began asking questions. Most were short answer questions, with little opportunity to turn them into open-ended responses. I was cut off in mid sentence several times. It felt like a bright light was being shown on me and that I was being interrigated. After the group interview, I was left with a piece of paper that described a scenario involving counseling an associate on a disciplinary issue. Seven of the panel remained in the room. One panel member left, then returned 5 minutes later role-playing the associate. I role-played as manager, as the rest of the panel watched and took notes. I was never called back by the company-- guess my acting abilities were not to their liking. The interview was very cold, very impersonable. I decided before I left that I did not want to work there. Question is-- do they ever smile? Or were they just great actors???

Interview Question – What would someone who doesn't like you say about you?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Detroit, MI

The process took a day - interviewed at Home Depot in May 2007.

Interview Details – They sent a group of regualr associates out to the Redford center to interview for HR jobs. They first took us in and made us take basically like a scantron type of test and it was timed. Then after that we went in to interview with 2 people each and they asked questions that were pretty hard. They wanted me to rattle off different sections of the Civil Rights Act (I know basic one's since I have a Bachelors in HR) but they wanted it word for word. They also asked how would I handle someone from a different race? Just made me wonder why I would treat them any different since I treat everyone the same??? Then they never called or sent anything with the results or any feedback.

Information Technology Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Home Depot in February 2010.

Interview Details – Human resources contacted me after I submitted my profile online. The HR department set up a 1/2 day face to face interview with the Home Depot IT department. There were 5 people present in the panel interview.
The interview took place at the corporate headquarters.

Interview Question – What is the difference between a strictly typed versus a loosely typed language   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I just wasn't impressed with the interview. One interviewer, a director who was rude, distracted, and inattentive kept asking silly 'brainteaser' questions. The questions were unrelated to the duties that I would perform based on the job description. What's more embarrassing is that had been with the company 2 weeks. I kept wondering why he had been asked to participate on the panel interview. The longer tenured employee was just inattentive and non-chalant.

Branch Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot.

Interview Details – 2 Phone interviews with HR and manager. Group interview with upper management before selection

Interview Question – Structured interview questions throughout. an example: Describe a time when an employee challenged your decision and explain how you handled the situation and your response.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – First offer is negotiable. Their third offer was final. Negotiate hard to get a better salary, raises are meager.

HR Manager Interview

HR Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Home Depot.

Interview Details – Several years ago - interview was an inbox exercise then face to face interview. The entire process lasted six hours.

Interview Question – The whole written exercise was cumbersome and was objective.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was unable to negotiate. Tried but was not successful

San Jose, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Home Depot in July 2011.

Interview Details – Simple interview, they wanted me in the first place, so it was closer to being a dummy interview.

Interview Question – value in this fielcd   Answer Question

Department Supervisor

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Home Depot in January 2008.

Interview Details – It was pretty simple - I applied online, was called in, didn't have to wait to long, took the interview which was a series of questions about how you handle certain real-life tests etc...

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when someone asked you to do something you didn't want to. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
  • How do you go about setting foals?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate because thought rates were all the same. I should have researched and then negotiated an extra dollar or two...

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Home Depot in October 2010.

Interview Details – Very LONg

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – vERY LONG

Interviews for Top Jobs at Home Depot

Worked for Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Home Depot Videos

Home Depot – Why Work for Us?

Our Company When it was founded in 1978 by Bernie Marcus and Arthur Blank, The Home Depot began changing consumers’ perspectives about how they could care for and improve their homes. The Company created the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Home Depot interview questions and advice. All 1,198 interview reviews posted anonymously by Home Depot employees and interview candidates.