Home Depot

Getting the Interview

20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Clarksville, TN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Home Depot in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email a few days later stating I would be receiving a call soon. The call starts out as an automated message confirming you are who you say you are and are still interested. They then patch you through to an HR Rep that asks a few brief questions e.g "Why are you interested in this position?" "Tell me a time you were challenged by a job and what you did to solve the issue."

If they think you are a good fit, they will help you to schedule an interview. (I chose the first available time).

I was scheduled for 7:30 Monday morning. The HR Rep also gave me the name of my interviewer and a confirmation number (I memorized the number but did not wind up needing it). I wore khaki pants, a button up shirt, and some ADIDAS Sambas... nothing TOO dressy. When I arrived, I went to the front desk and told them I was scheduled to meet with *name withheld*.

Within a few minutes, she came out, shook my hand and we went to the back of the store in a room near the break room. She first ensured I knew the position was part-time and roughly how many hours a week I would be working. She then asked me a series of pretty basic questions e.g. "Tell me how you see time management as important in a job."

Essentially, the position I applied for requires you to be conscious of time requirements. You are given a project with a specific time expectation. Details are important, as what I will be doing is setting up displays and making sure products are orderly and visible.

The interviewer was friendly (although I know that will vary based simply on who gives your interview) and she was more than happy to work with me to explain what they are looking for and what they want.

After the interview, she told me she is happy to welcome me aboard if I am interested. She laid out what I was expected to be paid and my hours. She had me fill out standard waivers for them to perform a criminal background check, and gave me paperwork to get a drug test.

All in all, it was a very professional, yet unstressful interview.

Interview Question – Who would you say our customers are?   View Answer

Burton, MI

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot.

Interview Details – I applied online at the Home Depot website. I was contacted 3 days later for a phone interview. I was then called back and set-up and in person interview for 5 days later. During the interview I was asked a lot of "what would you do in this scenario questions". I was then sent for a drug test and they ran a background check. The background check seemed to take forever, it was about a week and a half before they got the results and called me. I was then offered a position over the phone. I was asked if the pay was ok and since it was quite a bit higher than minimum wage I eagerly said yes. HOWEVER, Home Depot DOES negotiate! Had I known that, I would've tried to raise my starting pay :) They set up orientation for almost a week away. All in all, it was almost 4 weeks from the time I put my application in until the day of my orientation.

Interview Question – It wasn't a question but a roll-playing scenario. I was given a piece of paper with information on weed wackers, it listed possible add-ons and the different types of weed wackers available. I was then taken out onto the sales floor and had two supervisors do roll-playing with me, where I had to sell them the proper weed wacker and add ons.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't know at the time that Home Depot negotiates, so I didn't. They do negotiate, so go ahead and try!!

Interviewed at Home Depot

Interview Details – I applied online during the month of May and received my first telephonic interview in August. A second (on-site) interview was scheduled during the month August culminating with hiring for October. The process was relatively straight forward however it took approximately five months to fulfill.

Interview Question – Questions were standard in nature for a retail environment.   Answer Question

Merchandise Execution Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Home Depot in December 2011.

Interview Details – This was rather easy. I applied, was asked a few questions and then was offered the position. I believe that they were just in a bind to hire people. I was also hired, part time, which was lame. They needed full time. Eventually I was promoted. But the pay is low for what jobs/tasks they put you through.

Interview Question – Describe a time in your past where you had to deal with a co-worked.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – NONE

Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Home Depot in September 2010.

Interview Details – It was very simple. You fill out the physical application right there in the store or beforehand online. Wait around in the breakroom until called to the managers office for an interview. The interview will briefly go over your resume, and then I had to go through a few hypothetical customer service scenarios. You are given some information and then asked how you would respond as if the manager were the customer. Very simple and straightforward, very easy. I was given a job offer on the spot.

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult or unexpected, just answer the hypothetical customer service questions in a very straightforward way.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, a pay rate was offered and either accepted or declined. There isn't any room for negotiation, it feels very impersonal.

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Home Depot in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Had a brief interview with a bot. Was then transferred to a live rep who told me more about the job and that I would be traveling to the two closets HDs in my area, and I would be reimbursed for gas mileage over 35 miles a day, which was fine. She then began to ask me the general what would you do type of questions. After the interview was complete she transferred me over to schedule a 1 on 1 interview. I was scheduled to have an interview at a "Hiring Event" at a Devry University 30 miles away a few days later. I was asked to wait in a waiting room where there were Dunkin Donuts and one other guy waiting. The two MEA supervisors came took the guy and before I could finish reading a pamphlet they gave me at the door, they came back to get me. I was taken to a room filled with about 10 tables very close together, each table was other people being interviewed. Prior to the interview beginning I was informed I would be driving daily to about 5-7 different HDs in my area, they mentioned nothing about gas reimbursement and I didn't ask. They were very nice and made me feel comfortable on an interview where I am usually filled with nerves. The interview asked basically the same questions as the telephone interview, what would you do type, (if an angry customer, if your routine was changed, what safety precautions would you take etc) They were reading from a packet they had with predetermined questions. One read the other wrote.

Interview Question – Name a time where you were working in a group situation and your values were tested.   Answer Question

Sterling, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Home Depot in July 2013.

Interview Details – I got an email asking me to call or visit a website because they were interested in speaking with me regarding my application. I called the number and answered a few questions by selection options on the phone. I was then connected to a representative who asked me a few more questions and then set up a 1 on 1 interview time at the store. I met with the supervisor of the MET team a few days later and was offered the position.

Interview Question – Give an example of when you found a better way to accomplish a task.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not try to negotiate.

Germantown, MD

I applied online - interviewed at Home Depot in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for this position online through the Home Depot job website and filled out the application. They sent me an automated e-mail saying that I need to call the retail staffing center for a phone interview. I called 2 days later and the phone interview consisted of automated questions that asked if I could perform the basics of the job and then I was transferred to a person who conducted a 5-10 minute interview with me. The questions themselves were fairly straightforward given that you have at least a year in retail experience or something relevant.

Interview Question – What project experience do you have that would qualify you for this position?   Answer Question

Merchandise Execution Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot.

Interview Details – DM interviewed, basic questions. I learned I was hired within a few days, started a few days after drug test and background check. I'm way over-qualified, so it wasn't difficult.

Interview Question – Don't remember, the interview was fairly easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Home Depot in December 2011.

Interview Details – Signed up at HomeDepot.com was called about a position and then interviewed. Started job a week later.

Interview Question – There really weren't any.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Home Depot

Worked for Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Home Depot Videos

Home Depot – Why Work for Us?

Our Company When it was founded in 1978 by Bernie Marcus and Arthur Blank, The Home Depot began changing consumers’ perspectives about how they could care for and improve their homes. The Company created the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Home Depot Merchandising Execution Associate interview questions and advice. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by Home Depot employees and interview candidates.