Home Depot

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hawthorne, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in March 2010.

Interview Details – Apply online, took an online aptitude test, phone interview and invitation for face to face interview which was one on one.

Interview Question – Narrate a situation where you have dealt with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on the THD website, selected every non-supervisory position listed. Proceeded to an online test. Some basic math questions, some questions of a "What would you do?" sort. Received a call for an in-person interview. Met with and Assistant. Set-up a time for a second interview with the Store Manager and was hired in Mill-work.

Interview Question – Tell us how you would approach a customer and what would you say?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None really, I did not push the matter at all.

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Home Depot in February 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was actually really streamlined and fast

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you went above and beyond to help a customer   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Specialty Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot.

Interview Details – The Home Depot emails you to set up a phone interview. After you do that, you'll get a store interview, and if your interviewer thinks you'd be good for an open position, they'll schedule a second interview. The second interview is just to get another managers opinion, in my case, the first interview was all Q&A, and the second interview was just a conversation, with the assistant store manager taking notes as we talked. Very casual.

Interview Question – In my first interview I was asked what past job experience I had the most trouble with. The question kind of blind sided me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They tell you what you are going to make an hour and you either accept or decline.

Very Easy Interview

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in March 2013.

Interview Details – Easy interview process. Made you feel comfortable.

Interview Question – What can you expect to get from this job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Set wage pricing

Kennesaw, GA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Home Depot in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an automated call to which I made responses, then an operator came on the line to ask a few more qualifying questions. Later that day I received a live call requesting me to report to the store for an interview. The appointment was scheduled. When I arrived, the person I was to interview with was unavailable, so he has arranged for another Assistant Manager and a Department Head to interview me. I was asked to return to interview with the Store Manager who offered me the position in Appliances. I returned later that day after an interview with another company, to accept the position and spoke with the ASM that I was originally scheduled with, filled out background check information and took my paperwork to the lab for drug and alcohol screening.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected or difficult was asked during my interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They made a dollar offer, and I counter offered slightly higher. The store manager called and got an approval.

Los Banos, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Home Depot in July 2012.

Interview Details – I was called for an interview, went through the basic questions that are always asked and was given a date and time for the interview. I arrived early for the interview, asked for the store manager, who told me to go wait in the training room hallway. I did as told, said hello to the employees that were there and waited. After the interview start time passed. the store manager finally came back, printed my paperwork from his computer, left the papers on the table, face up, which showed I scored high on all categories of the application process, he told me to have a seat and he would get the employees that were to do my interview to come back in a few minutes. Fifteen minutes later, thirty minutes after the start time of the interview was supposed to have started, two employees came in, introduced themselves and led the worst-style of interview I have ever had. They were not organized, keep checking to see what they were going to ask, didn't know what questions they were told to ask by the store manager, kept saying the other one was supposed to ask the questions and after they were done, said "We will call you or if you didn't get the job, a lot of times we just don't call you, but we might call you if you didn't get the job, would that be OK?" I told them to please call me if I got the job or not. The confused supervisors still haven't called, not a surprise with the way they acted during the interview.

Interview Question – All were the basic questions you would expect, because they read from the papers left on the table by the store manager. One they kept asking was about my seasonal job, that I wasn't going back to, due to the commute and not driving any more, which I explained at least 5 times about and they still couldn't understand that I wanted to work near where I live. What part of that was confusing, maybe they just didn't understand because they didn't have it written down in front of them to read from.   View Answers (5)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Home Depot

Worked for Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Home Depot Videos

Home Depot – Why Work for Us?

Our Company When it was founded in 1978 by Bernie Marcus and Arthur Blank, The Home Depot began changing consumers’ perspectives about how they could care for and improve their homes. The Company created the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Home Depot Specialty Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Home Depot employees and interview candidates.