Home Goods Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

1.8

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Home Goods in July 2015.

Interview

The interview took about 10-15 minutes and didn't ask anything too hard, the manger was very impressed with a kid who has never worked in retail. It was just a one on one convo between the manager and I so I didn't have to deal with anyone trying steal my spotlight

Interview Questions

• What does great customer service mean to you? Describe a time when you received great customer service/bad customer service?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Home Goods (Vacaville, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later got a call to set up an interview. The day of the interview I went in and was handed another application to fill out, then got sent to the back to do the interview. The manager was very nice and funny and we went through basic questions and I really thought she liked me. I never got a call back even after a follow up call 5 days later. It was a shame I don't know what I did wrong and I really wanted to work there. She did say she hasn't filled out a work permit for minors in a while, so I think that's what contributed to her not hiring me.

Flow Team/Mark Down Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murray, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Home Goods (Murray, UT) in July 2015.

Interview

I went in for the application and one of the managers gave me like a mini interview, and then she said turn in the next day and i did! And then she set up a interview as soon as i gave it to her! Then i went back a couple days later, and it was a different manager, and he was just as nice, and he seemed to like me! Then 3 days later they offered me the job!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, they offered me 9 dollars a hour.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Home Goods.

Interview

Call you back within a few days of application, then you go back to office, they chat with you, ask you some normal easy questions, send you on your way then call you back within a few days.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Home Goods in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview for several divisions of TJX, Marshall's reached out to me, I wanted HomeGoods, he hooked me up with HomeGoods, 2nd HR phone interview went great, was told I'd get a call from DM or assistant that week, 3 follow up calls and a month later I got an in person interview scheduled 65 miles away from my home, after another company expressed interest in me, I figured until it came thru, I could still go on this interview as this is really where I wanted to work. No problem, it was an interview, showed up 15 minutes early, waited an hour 45 minutes after scheduled time for interview to start, thought it went great, sounded enthused on both sides, asked if he could call my references, asked if I could start immediately, asked my salary range, said it was high but was within range, I said I would listen to an offer, he said not to worry, asked me about locations, went over whole training process, said I'd hear within a week. Super enthused, sent a follow up a week later when I didn't hear after initial thank you that day. I didn't really want to accept other job and knew I had time. After no response I was forced to accept other position. 2 unanswered follow up letters, sent a third follow up letter 3 weeks later, as I took the other offer that I really didn't want, but took due to financial reasons, and said, hey, I'm just not available immediately, I'd need a 2 week notice. I got a note we filled the position? Strung along for 2 1/2 months very disappointing, I really liked the company, wanted to work there, waited patiently for phone calls, that never came? Couldn't turn down an offer when they were stringing me along, although I really preferred this company. Don't lead candidates on if you have no interest, it's not professional or fair.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrick, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Home Goods (Merrick, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied to job months ago, request for interview via email.This part of the process was fast. I think I got lost in the shuffle for a bit, but in the end it was all worth it. HG is the store I wanted to work at.

Interview Questions

• How would you motivate your staff?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation phase was painless and professional. Interviewer was the hiring manager and listened to what I wanted and attempted to compromise (in case they had to).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Home Goods (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

Got the application online and brought it into the store. Got a call 3 days later for an interview. Interview was casual and very simple with two people. Offered position after the interview was over.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your last job(s) (what you did, why you left, how much you made)   Answer Question
    • Tell us what you think Customer Service means to you.   Answer Question
    • Explain a situation from a previous job where you had to do many things at once.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, they offered more than I expected. (I expected minimum)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in York, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Home Goods (York, PA).

Interview

Received a call almost immediately, within a few days after applying. Scheduling to come in and interview is flexible, I was out of town at the time and was very understanding. They ask very general questions in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience?   1 Answer

Truck Processor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Home Goods.

Interview

Good interview with lots of promises..most were just BS to get you in.LONG hours of video watching for training..very generic common sense stuff.Promised all these opportunities to earn Star cards that never came to fruition.Work your butt off for no recognition..giant numbers game.

Interview Questions

• Name one of your weaknesses   1 Answer

Loss Prevention Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Home Goods (Framingham, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Very smooth process, extremely friendly manager. Seems to be a great opportunity. I had no previous work experience in the field, but they still allowed me an opportunity to interview with them.