Home Instead

Updated Feb 25, 2014

Getting the Interview

21 candidate interviews

Fort Collins, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Home Instead in December 2011.

Interview Details – They first do a quick phone interview where they ask you about your previous employers, why you want to work with seniors, and information about your mode of transportation.

If they like you, they contact you for a 1:1 interview. They ask you all the basic questions about employers, strengths, weakness, etc. They also ask for you to share an experience you have had with a senior that made you want to work in that field, or just a positive experience you had.

After all that business they check your 6-10 references... and I mean all of them! They will not go forward with the process if they cant contact your references. After all that business they will run a background check, auto check, and contact your previous employer.

Then, if everything check out okay they will call you in for a 'training' session (you still don't have the job at this point) you will watch some videos and fill out a work sheet (hello middle school), they will drug test you in the office and at that point if you pass the drug test they offer you the position. Whew, quite a process and it takes forever, but its worth it if you love working with seniors.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – no

Personal Care Assistant Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Home Instead in August 2011.

Interview Details – 1 on 1 interview. very detailed.

Interview Question – How far will you travel?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't have one. They start everyone at the same salary level. Just above minimum rage.

Caretaker Interview

Jeannette, PA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Home Instead in April 2013.

Interview Details – Submit an application online, they call you in for an interview, fill out paperwork, do an exercise on the computer, they do background check, if hired, orientation is next, drug test, will have to go to a few trainings and do quizzes

Interview Question – When was the last time you were asked to do something you didn't want to do and how did you handle it?   View Answer

Mentor, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Home Instead in December 2013.

Interview Details – Very encouraging interview. Other office staff and office culture were warm and welcoming. This makes a big difference to a new arrival on the scene. It was very nice to be acknowledged and appreciated for background, abilities, personality, from the very first meeting.

Interview Question – Why would you want to do this work?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not really any negotiation, per se-- the interviewer liked me and felt that I would be particularly good at this position. It was very nice to be acknowledged and appreciated for background, abilities, personality, from the very first meeting.

Care Giver Interview

Highland Village, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Home Instead in April 2012.

Interview Details – They hand you a bunch of paperwork to fill out and when you are finished they then ask you questions about why you would be good for the position. Typical interview questions.

Interview Question – Many say care giving is a thankless job to have, what is your position on this assertion?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They offered me eight dollars an hour, no benefits, no guarantee of hours, no compensation for gas/travel, no PTO, and also wanted me to do 2 hours of training unpaid. I asked if I got my CNA what I would be paid, and they would increase my hourly wages to 9 an hour.

Prescott, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Home Instead in March 2009.

Interview Details – I telephoned the company and made an appointment. They called me back, and set up an appointment. the interview was organized and planned, I spoke to two differnt people. I think its a great company, they give you freedom and its very diversified.

Interview Question – Do you like to work with people   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no, its one fair wage for all.

Non-medical Caregiver Interview

Fredericksbrg, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Home Instead in July 2010.

Interview Details – I went into the office and filled out the application and was told I would be called for an interview w/in 2 weeks. I called twice the second week, again the third week, and sent an email the forth week to finally get an interview. The personnel manager said she would let me know early the next week. I have called and emailed but 4 weeks later, I have heard nothing. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• What would I do if the client was refusing to cooperate?   View Answer
  • What would I do if I witnessed someone in the house doing something illegal?   View Answer

Marketing Representative Interview

Wichita Falls, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Home Instead in April 2011.

Interview Details – The 1:1 interview was the owner of the franchise and she seemed very friendly. Asked general questions about my resume. Why did you leave this job? What interests you most about the position? etc... Left the interview feeling very positive and was told that I would be contacted the next day (specifically before 12pm) to set up a second interview. I never heard from the lady again. I had to email her twice and call once to finally get a response that she had hired someone else. I was very displeased with the very unprofessional behavior of this business and the actual owner of the business. I would not recommend working for this company.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Gainesville, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Home Instead in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and came in to interview with the staffing coordinator on a Friday. The next Tuesday, I had a second interview with the general manager. Both were very honest and open. I felt like they were really taking the time to get to know me personally & professionally

Interview Questions

• Name a specific time you had an issue with a fellow employee and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
  • Name a specific task you completed poorly and how would you have done it differently? What did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Gilbert, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Home Instead in January 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed by staffer in one day interview. The were friendly and honest. The whole process was to make sure if you had the personality to care for seniors and if you had experience in the field. Once you get the job you have to go through a non paid 3 day training where you see some vids and go through a book and then take about five tests.
You dont really get to see people at the office a lot you just talk to them on the phone abou clients needs and stuff.

Interview Questions

• If a client with alzeimers say you stole something of hers, what would you do?   View Answer
  • Why would you like to work with seniors?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not really. If you take the job, dont forget to take care of yourself.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Home Instead? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Home Instead interview questions and advice. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by Home Instead employees and interview candidates.