Home Instead Senior Care Caregiver Interview Questions

Updated Oct 2, 2014

2.1

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Caregiver Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Home Instead Senior Care.

I applied online, which included a psychological test that must be passed in order to be considered. I was called within hours of completing it, and was asked to be interviewed. I had an interview with the HR, then with the manager. He was almost begging me to stay with the company. I unknowingly agreed.

Interview Questions
I was offered pay above what is considered normal.

Other Interview Reviews for Home Instead Senior Care

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adrian, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adrian, MI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Home Instead Senior Care in May 2014.

The first interview lasted about 45 minutes. Then they had to verify my references before continuing further. Every reference had to respond in order for me to continue to orientation. Once my references checked out I was set up for orientation. The process lasted 7.5 hours. The orientation covers the aging process and senior safety. Then you are given a quiz on both topics. There is A LOT of paper work to fill out and sign. They drug test you right there and then set you up to work right after orientation is finished. Make sure that you are sure that you want this job. They do require you sign a paper stating that if you do not work for them for 90 days they will charge you 40 dollars for fees (drug test and paperwork).

Interview Questions
    • What is your dictionary definition of a caregiver?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation phase. They asked if the pay of 7.50 an hour was okay. What I didn't know is that they offer NO real insurance, just Aflac. I almost declined the position, however, I was really impressed with Wynn's enthusiasm and dedication towards the care of seniors. I just wished they had real insurance to offer their employees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mentor, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mentor, OH

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Home Instead Senior Care in December 2013.

Very encouraging interview. Other office staff and office culture were warm and welcoming. This makes a big difference to a new arrival on the scene. It was very nice to be acknowledged and appreciated for background, abilities, personality, from the very first meeting.

Interview Questions
    There was not really any negotiation, per se-- the interviewer liked me and felt that I would be particularly good at this position. It was very nice to be acknowledged and appreciated for background, abilities, personality, from the very first meeting.

Caregiver Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Home Instead Senior Care.

Easy interview, very personable interviewer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vero Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vero Beach, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Home Instead Senior Care.

Tell them what you're comfortable doing, and your true knowledge of the tasks. They'll help train you if you need it. Be drug free! They check. Don't try to fake it, you can't. Scrubs, if unsure of interview wear. Skills, and a written test given. Turn your phone off for the interview. The seniors don't mind the tattoos, or purple hair as much as employers and family members do. So, simple hair style, pull back if long. Clean and simple.. No heavy jewelry. Wedding ring, and that's about it. Know what hours and days you can work. They make you get a Driver License record for 5 years or so. That cost $18, and the typical background check. I had to pay the $50 they reimbursed me after I got a paycheck or two.

Interview Questions
    • didn't like them asking, What would change about myself? . And What's my worst quality?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Everyone gets paid the same. I do work weekends for the extra money. We have scheduled "holiday pay" with specific shift hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Home Instead Senior Care in July 2013.

Applied online, got an e-mail that next business day to come in for an interview. Went in, very simple interview. Got a call that same day with a job offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Home Instead Senior Care in April 2013.

When submitting application, they required a copy of driver's license. Two weeks later I received a phone call from the office manager and set up an interview. The interview was brief and straightforward, a week later I was called in for a "second interview" which was actually a drug test, and invited to an orientation contingent upon the drug test.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you made a mistake on the job and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation unfortunately. You take the base pay or none at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Home Instead Senior Care in August 2012.

I was referred by a recruiter, there was one initial one on one interview that went well, there were no unexpected or surprise questions as far as interviews go, and was offered the position the same day.

Interview Questions
    Negotiate a salary amount before accepting an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Home Instead Senior Care in December 2011.

They first do a quick phone interview where they ask you about your previous employers, why you want to work with seniors, and information about your mode of transportation.

If they like you, they contact you for a 1:1 interview. They ask you all the basic questions about employers, strengths, weakness, etc. They also ask for you to share an experience you have had with a senior that made you want to work in that field, or just a positive experience you had.

After all that business they check your 6-10 references... and I mean all of them! They will not go forward with the process if they cant contact your references. After all that business they will run a background check, auto check, and contact your previous employer.

Then, if everything check out okay they will call you in for a 'training' session (you still don't have the job at this point) you will watch some videos and fill out a work sheet (hello middle school), they will drug test you in the office and at that point if you pass the drug test they offer you the position. Whew, quite a process and it takes forever, but its worth it if you love working with seniors.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a story about a senior that you've worked with or have known?   Answer Question
    • Why should we hire you to work with seniors?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cookeville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cookeville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Home Instead Senior Care in June 2011.

Pretty standard interview. Why I wanted to work there. Why I wanted to work in the field, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What would make you an asset to this company?   View Answer
    This was my first real job so they offered me minimum wage, I told them about previous experience with elderly, Got it raised by $0.25 (7.75) at 8$ now 3 years later.