HomeAdvisor

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HomeAdvisor in June 2012.

The initial interview was with corporate recruiter of Servicemagic's Human Resources department. It was approximately 30 minutes long, basically going over my work history, familiarity with certain programs, experience with financial models and the way I handle certain scenarios.

The second interview was with the director of financial planning & analysis. He described the needs of the department, and the work environment. He described everyone who worked in his department as very analytic and naturally curious.

Prior to the third interview, I was sent an Excel aptitude test. I thought I was proficient, but I guess I relied too much on pivot tables. This was a test that tested not only your IF statements capabilities, but seeing if you could perform analysis and sorting without pivot tables.

The third interview was Servicemagic. I met with the director of financial planning analysis (FP&A), a manager in FP&A, three financial analysts, and two vice presidents. The atmosphere on the FP&A department is a sea of dimly lit cubicles. It's very quiet. My interviews with the director of FP&A and the last vice president went poorly. The director really did a thorough job of examining whether or not I was as experienced in analysis as the department needed and gave me several verbal tests, including a probability test. I suck at probability, and I was already feeling down about the Excel test. The interviews in between went well. The vice president brushed me off from the beginning, despite my positive interactions with other members of FP&A.

It took two weeks for servicemagic to get back to me about their decision to move forward with another candiate. It took approximately one month overall.

The key to get this job is to be naturally curious and to be very strong at analysis. The environment is perfect for someone who can spend more than 10 hours per day in front of a computer screen, and one who is driven to be better than their peer, versus working in a team. I wasn't a big fan of the office, and am somewhat relieved that this was not my only employment opportunity. Check out everyone's finger nails during your interview. Everyone bites their nails down to a nub. I'm done with stressful environments like that.

Interview Questions
  • A casino decides it wants to open a new game on the floor. You win by rolling a die. If you roll 1, you get a $1000, if you roll 2, you get $2000, and so on and so forth. How much should the casino charge in order to come out ahead?   View Answer