HomeAway Interview Questions & Reviews in Austin, TX

2.7

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

SEO Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HomeAway.

The hiring process is pretty tortuous—HR has a lot of difficulty communicating with hiring managers, and requisitions and whatnot have a tendency to get lost or dropped. Pretty nerve-wracking from an outsider, but par for the course. Unfortunately I don't have advice about whether or not to pester the hiring manager or not—oftentimes the issue lies with HR. Still, diligence is recommended.

Very relaxed interview overall. Mine was a three-step process:

* Interview with HR: Very informal, almost a chat. This person can give a thumbs-up but it's kind of inconsequential compared to the hiring manager's perception, obviously.
    * Interview with team: Seven people were there in all, no hiring manager. Firing questions from everyone. A little hair-raising at first but the large group actually means there's less time to overthink since the questions tend to be pretty rapid-fire.
    * Interview with hiring manager: Your standard one-on-one.

Interview Questions
    • I don't want to give the impression that there's a rubric of questions so I'm not going to answer this specifically. I will say that it helps to be as concrete as possible—provide case studies. The team prefers to hear how tools were used or assessed rather than what "inbound marketing" blogs you may read, so definitely be prepared to be as real-world asp ossible.   Answer Question
    I was desperate to leave my previous job so I did not attempt to negotiate. I simply asked for a salary "reasonably higher" than my previous one and was given that.

Data Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at HomeAway in May 2014.

Great questions, very well organized. Hiring was fast and company provided a great help on relocation.
    The team was very open to the different question and walk away standard task. The answer was on the same day with great positive follow up.

to consider

Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at HomeAway.

Interviewed with one guy in person and another over an intercom. Overall, an easy process and pretty laid back. Very tech savvy company so make sure you are good with computers!

Interview Questions
    Took two days and got hired immediately

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in May 2011.

Phone screen followed by phone interview with hiring manager. From there, went into the office for 3 in-person interviews (hiring manager, co-worker and department director). No tricky questions - basic and straight forward.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in November 2013.

First round was a 30 min on campus interview, after which I was invited for onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of 4 or 5 interviews. A lot of coding questions and design questions. Also, UML design and database stuff. Challenging, I would say.

Trust & Security Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at HomeAway.

I applied for a position in December 2013. The position would be in "Trust & Integrity." The problem is the homes some people listed were "not as advertised." Hackers were hijacking the address and contact information and convincing prospective renters to send them a check of the real owner. Their business has grown exponentially and the instances of fraud had increased proportionally.
    My first interview was out of the blue. The HR person contacted me via email and I responded within the hour. We scheduled a time for the next day and I set to work doing my pre-interview work. I start with the SEC website. Homeaway is a publicly traded company so reading their 8k. 10k's, and their last two annual reports was my first stop. This took several hours and lots of notes.
    Next was to review employees of the company and see if they had posted any Powerpoints to review. I found interviews with the CEO (Brian Sharples). He gave two really good interviews which taught me a lot about the company.
    Next I wanted to understand their business model. Actually they have two. 95% of their revenue is based on advertsing. Homeowners list their place on the Homeaway.com , vrbo.com, bedandbreakfast.com websites and homeaway delivers the content to over 100 countries. This is a great idea. Now all those millions of beautiful homes that sit emply for 50 weeks out of the year can generate some profit to the owner.
    The HR person I interviewed was young. Based on her LinkedIn profile she had a few years of experience but was in no way ready to interview me. She could not answer even simple questions. For her it appeared to be a punchlist.... move on to the next one.
    I am reminded of a story Dolly Parton told many years ago. She was early in her career and decided to enter a Dolly Parton lookalike contest. She made the first cut and then the second. It all came down to the final 3 and Dolly- looking her perkiest-- lost. The judges said that she did not look enough like the real Dolly Parton.
    The first interview lasted only about 10 minutes and she had to go. We scheduled another interview that afternoon. She wanted to know about my fraud fighting experience. I recounted the capture and return of a large piece of construction equipment. The previous company had hired several private investigators. All had failed. It had been 18 months since that began the process to repossess it. I found it in four days. You just have to read the case, understand the mindset of the person and the situation, use concentric circles of interviewing and be discrete. Most people will talk to you if you are polite. Sometimes it just about asking the right person ---the right questions-- in the right way.

Interview Questions
    • She didn't ask that many question. The only one I remember that I thought she was being vague on was what software programs I had used in the past. It was obviously a "fishing expedition" rather than saying "We use XYZ CRM. Have you ever worked with XYZ before? No she wanted me to guess. Weird   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Met them at the campus career-fair. I got a phone interview in a week. Phone interview consisted of a breadth of technical questions ranging from data-structures to algorithms to web technologies. Got invited to interview on-site the next week.

On-site visit started with lunch on their rooftop, followed by a tour of the offices, then the interviews. Four, 45min interviews with a 15min break after the first two. Half were algorithm/data-structure related, the other half was design/behavioral.

Got contacted the week after the interviews with the offer.

It wasn't easy, but it wasn't impossible either.

Interview Questions
    • A question asking you to solve a real-world, Homeaway related problem using Java. Don't remember the exact details of it.   View Answer
    Recent graduate so I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in October 2013.

Got a call next day after the career fair at my school. Set up a one-on-one on-campus interview the following week. After more than a month, they got back to me and said wanted to do a phone interview. After the phone interview, they asked me to come to their headquarters the following week. During the final rounds, I had 4 interviews of which 3 were technical, one was mainly behavioral. Technical questions: basic OOP questions, subset problem (but with pairs of numbers)), duplicating a twisted linked list, recursion in a multi-threading scenario. I did decent and provided solutions. After 2 weeks, they got back to me saying they won't be making me an offer. A long process finally came to an end.

Interview Questions
    • Duplicating a Linked Link where each node had an extra pointer that could point to itself, to any random node in the Linked List, or be NULL.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at HomeAway.

four round on-site, one question is to transfer integer to Roman, one question is about prefix tree, one question is for cyclic linked list. But interviewers always expect you to come up with a better solution after you write down the answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in August 2013.

I applied for a job thru LinkedIn. I was contacted by a recruiter offering a different job which I still liked so I decided to move ahead with it. After an hour talk with 2 directors they decided to flight me in. A lot talks about how the company is awesome. While onsite I had 4 interviews of about 45 mins each. Only 2 were technical, one was about a puzzle question and the other on was about multithreading. There was never a chance to show real programming skills. If you do something wrong, they wont tell you or try to get you to think about the problem differently. I couldnt do the puzzle question, but I did well on the other question. The recruiter called me a couple of days later to tell me that they werent going to make me an offer. They seriously need to revamp their interview process to include more relevant questions.

Interview Questions

Worked for HomeAway? Contribute to the Community!