HomeAway

Updated Feb 15, 2015

2.8

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HomeAway in January 2015.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter within a week. We had a brief conversation and then he set me up with the hiring manager for a couple days out. About a week later the recruiter confirmed that they wanted to proceed with an onsite. My preferred time did not work for them so we agreed to find time in the next week. After a couple of days I followed up because I hadn't heard anything, something fell through with the coordinator, as it was my onsite was that day in 3 hours, I just hadn't been notified. I was able to shift my schedule so that I could make it. I met with the recruiter, the hiring manager, a senior engineer, followed by another senior engineer, followed by an architect. I was not on my game and did poorly overall. The building (Austin - Domain) is very nice and the people seemed nice as well.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the questions were specific and related to processing strings and the answer was clear. Others were vague but I got a sense that they were looking for a specific answer or solution that I did not produce. They want to hear what you are thinking but did not say much back while working the problems. I was not asked much about my previous experience or projects nor how I might contribute to the organization. It was very much all about coding algorithms, data structures, and run time efficiency.

Some topics: string manipulation, convex hull, palindrome generator, tree traversal

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HomeAway in October 2014.

Scheduled an on campus interview (technical + behavioral, around 30 minutes) during a campus career fair. Heard back from them about 3 weeks after the interview for an on site interview. The on site interview was half a day, including lunch followed by four 45-minute technical interviews. Got their final decision a week later.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about the Convex hull problem- a pretty famous Math/Computational problem that you can google it and find interesting solutions on it. But I had not heard of it before the interview and had a little struggle working through it.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at HomeAway in September 2014.

Not too bad. They asked me about Java class, polymorphism, Java interfaces, and some networking questions. It wasn't too bad but I wasn't able to answer a couple of the networking questions. The easiest part was the coding question. I had to find the total sum of the numbers that are divisible by a given input. Simple little method. The recruiter was really nice. I thought I did well in the interview but got an email about three weeks later saying they were looking for more qualified students. Don't know why....

Interview Questions
    • The question I was most surprised by was the Java Interfaces. I was not expecting that at all.   Answer Question

SEO Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HomeAway.

The hiring process is pretty tortuous—HR has a lot of difficulty communicating with hiring managers, and requisitions and whatnot have a tendency to get lost or dropped. Pretty nerve-wracking from an outsider, but par for the course. Unfortunately I don't have advice about whether or not to pester the hiring manager or not—oftentimes the issue lies with HR. Still, diligence is recommended.

Very relaxed interview overall. Mine was a three-step process:

* Interview with HR: Very informal, almost a chat. This person can give a thumbs-up but it's kind of inconsequential compared to the hiring manager's perception, obviously.
    * Interview with team: Seven people were there in all, no hiring manager. Firing questions from everyone. A little hair-raising at first but the large group actually means there's less time to overthink since the questions tend to be pretty rapid-fire.
    * Interview with hiring manager: Your standard one-on-one.

Interview Questions
    • I don't want to give the impression that there's a rubric of questions so I'm not going to answer this specifically. I will say that it helps to be as concrete as possible—provide case studies. The team prefers to hear how tools were used or assessed rather than what "inbound marketing" blogs you may read, so definitely be prepared to be as real-world asp ossible.   Answer Question
    I was desperate to leave my previous job so I did not attempt to negotiate. I simply asked for a salary "reasonably higher" than my previous one and was given that.

Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at HomeAway.

Interviewed with one guy in person and another over an intercom. Overall, an easy process and pretty laid back. Very tech savvy company so make sure you are good with computers!

Interview Questions
    Took two days and got hired immediately

Senior Java Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HomeAway in July 2014.

I applied online, and I got call next day from HR. HR took my interview on the phone and she was very satisfied. She also asked me many technical questions to make sure I am fit for this position. After 3 days, I was scheduled for Technical Interview with one of their staff. To my astonishment, he asked me lots of IQ questions which have no answer. He asked me few technical question which I answered it all correct. It seem to me that their staff simply want to waste our time taking interview. Next day, I got email stating that I was not accepted for their position. Actually I was not surprised at all because that guy asked me question which is totally unrelated to that position. I told him that how is this question related to data-structure and/or this position and that guy gave me no answer.

Data Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at HomeAway in May 2014.

Great questions, very well organized. Hiring was fast and company provided a great help on relocation.
    The team was very open to the different question and walk away standard task. The answer was on the same day with great positive follow up.

to consider

Trust & Security Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at HomeAway.

I applied for a position in December 2013. The position would be in "Trust & Integrity." The problem is the homes some people listed were "not as advertised." Hackers were hijacking the address and contact information and convincing prospective renters to send them a check of the real owner. Their business has grown exponentially and the instances of fraud had increased proportionally.
    My first interview was out of the blue. The HR person contacted me via email and I responded within the hour. We scheduled a time for the next day and I set to work doing my pre-interview work. I start with the SEC website. Homeaway is a publicly traded company so reading their 8k. 10k's, and their last two annual reports was my first stop. This took several hours and lots of notes.
    Next was to review employees of the company and see if they had posted any Powerpoints to review. I found interviews with the CEO (Brian Sharples). He gave two really good interviews which taught me a lot about the company.
    Next I wanted to understand their business model. Actually they have two. 95% of their revenue is based on advertsing. Homeowners list their place on the Homeaway.com , vrbo.com, bedandbreakfast.com websites and homeaway delivers the content to over 100 countries. This is a great idea. Now all those millions of beautiful homes that sit emply for 50 weeks out of the year can generate some profit to the owner.
    The HR person I interviewed was young. Based on her LinkedIn profile she had a few years of experience but was in no way ready to interview me. She could not answer even simple questions. For her it appeared to be a punchlist.... move on to the next one.
    I am reminded of a story Dolly Parton told many years ago. She was early in her career and decided to enter a Dolly Parton lookalike contest. She made the first cut and then the second. It all came down to the final 3 and Dolly- looking her perkiest-- lost. The judges said that she did not look enough like the real Dolly Parton.
    The first interview lasted only about 10 minutes and she had to go. We scheduled another interview that afternoon. She wanted to know about my fraud fighting experience. I recounted the capture and return of a large piece of construction equipment. The previous company had hired several private investigators. All had failed. It had been 18 months since that began the process to repossess it. I found it in four days. You just have to read the case, understand the mindset of the person and the situation, use concentric circles of interviewing and be discrete. Most people will talk to you if you are polite. Sometimes it just about asking the right person ---the right questions-- in the right way.

Interview Questions
    • She didn't ask that many question. The only one I remember that I thought she was being vague on was what software programs I had used in the past. It was obviously a "fishing expedition" rather than saying "We use XYZ CRM. Have you ever worked with XYZ before? No she wanted me to guess. Weird   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at HomeAway.

four round on-site, one question is to transfer integer to Roman, one question is about prefix tree, one question is for cyclic linked list. But interviewers always expect you to come up with a better solution after you write down the answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HomeAway in November 2013.

First round was a 30 min on campus interview, after which I was invited for onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of 4 or 5 interviews. A lot of coding questions and design questions. Also, UML design and database stuff. Challenging, I would say.