HomeAway

17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in November 2013.

Interview Details – First round was a 30 min on campus interview, after which I was invited for onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of 4 or 5 interviews. A lot of coding questions and design questions. Also, UML design and database stuff. Challenging, I would say.

Very Easy Interview

Trust & Security Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – I applied for a position in December 2013. The position would be in "Trust & Integrity." The problem is the homes some people listed were "not as advertised." Hackers were hijacking the address and contact information and convincing prospective renters to send them a check of the real owner. Their business has grown exponentially and the instances of fraud had increased proportionally.
My first interview was out of the blue. The HR person contacted me via email and I responded within the hour. We scheduled a time for the next day and I set to work doing my pre-interview work. I start with the SEC website. Homeaway is a publicly traded company so reading their 8k. 10k's, and their last two annual reports was my first stop. This took several hours and lots of notes.
Next was to review employees of the company and see if they had posted any Powerpoints to review. I found interviews with the CEO (Brian Sharples). He gave two really good interviews which taught me a lot about the company.
Next I wanted to understand their business model. Actually they have two. 95% of their revenue is based on advertsing. Homeowners list their place on the Homeaway.com , vrbo.com, bedandbreakfast.com websites and homeaway delivers the content to over 100 countries. This is a great idea. Now all those millions of beautiful homes that sit emply for 50 weeks out of the year can generate some profit to the owner.
The HR person I interviewed was young. Based on her LinkedIn profile she had a few years of experience but was in no way ready to interview me. She could not answer even simple questions. For her it appeared to be a punchlist.... move on to the next one.
I am reminded of a story Dolly Parton told many years ago. She was early in her career and decided to enter a Dolly Parton lookalike contest. She made the first cut and then the second. It all came down to the final 3 and Dolly- looking her perkiest-- lost. The judges said that she did not look enough like the real Dolly Parton.
The first interview lasted only about 10 minutes and she had to go. We scheduled another interview that afternoon. She wanted to know about my fraud fighting experience. I recounted the capture and return of a large piece of construction equipment. The previous company had hired several private investigators. All had failed. It had been 18 months since that began the process to repossess it. I found it in four days. You just have to read the case, understand the mindset of the person and the situation, use concentric circles of interviewing and be discrete. Most people will talk to you if you are polite. Sometimes it just about asking the right person ---the right questions-- in the right way.

Interview Question – She didn't ask that many question. The only one I remember that I thought she was being vague on was what software programs I had used in the past. It was obviously a "fishing expedition" rather than saying "We use XYZ CRM. Have you ever worked with XYZ before? No she wanted me to guess. Weird   View Answer

Austin, TX

Interview Details – Met them at the campus career-fair. I got a phone interview in a week. Phone interview consisted of a breadth of technical questions ranging from data-structures to algorithms to web technologies. Got invited to interview on-site the next week.

On-site visit started with lunch on their rooftop, followed by a tour of the offices, then the interviews. Four, 45min interviews with a 15min break after the first two. Half were algorithm/data-structure related, the other half was design/behavioral.

Got contacted the week after the interviews with the offer.

It wasn't easy, but it wasn't impossible either.

Interview Question – A question asking you to solve a real-world, Homeaway related problem using Java. Don't remember the exact details of it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Recent graduate so I did not negotiate.

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in October 2013.

Interview Details – Got a call next day after the career fair at my school. Set up a one-on-one on-campus interview the following week. After more than a month, they got back to me and said wanted to do a phone interview. After the phone interview, they asked me to come to their headquarters the following week. During the final rounds, I had 4 interviews of which 3 were technical, one was mainly behavioral. Technical questions: basic OOP questions, subset problem (but with pairs of numbers)), duplicating a twisted linked list, recursion in a multi-threading scenario. I did decent and provided solutions. After 2 weeks, they got back to me saying they won't be making me an offer. A long process finally came to an end.

Interview Question – Duplicating a Linked Link where each node had an extra pointer that could point to itself, to any random node in the Linked List, or be NULL.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – four round on-site, one question is to transfer integer to Roman, one question is about prefix tree, one question is for cyclic linked list. But interviewers always expect you to come up with a better solution after you write down the answer

Interview Question – no unexpected question   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a job thru LinkedIn. I was contacted by a recruiter offering a different job which I still liked so I decided to move ahead with it. After an hour talk with 2 directors they decided to flight me in. A lot talks about how the company is awesome. While onsite I had 4 interviews of about 45 mins each. Only 2 were technical, one was about a puzzle question and the other on was about multithreading. There was never a chance to show real programming skills. If you do something wrong, they wont tell you or try to get you to think about the problem differently. I couldnt do the puzzle question, but I did well on the other question. The recruiter called me a couple of days later to tell me that they werent going to make me an offer. They seriously need to revamp their interview process to include more relevant questions.

Interview Question – Dependency graph   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a phone call to schedule a phone interview with HR. The phone interview covered basic customer service/experience type questions. Asked to site specific examples of challenges that have been overcome in past job's.

After passing the initial screening over the phone a 1:1 interview was scheduled with a team lead. The direct hiring manager was never present. The typical interview questions were asked. Nothing out of the ordinary from other interviews that I've had. After the interview I was told I would be contacted within a few days.

I was contacted and offered the position. I was sent the contract and asked to sign or decline. There would have been opportunity to negotiate the hourly rate but it was a competitive wage so I accepted and started training within 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. You are asked to site specific examples of times that you felt that you handled a customer or a situation the best and what the outcome was.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I personally did not negotiate. I was asked initially what my current job paid me and I think they just tried to exceed that. I could have negotiated but didn't because I felt the wage offered was fair.

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in May 2013.

Interview Details – Very poor candidate experience. Recruiter emailed requesting my availability for an interview which I responded to immediately. I wait over a week without a response. I'm invited to an on-site event a week later and then practically ignored. I'm called a week later for my availability again which I respond to right away and another week passes. The recruiter then calls back to tell me they are not sure they want to interview me after all. Very unprofessional and disrespectful way to treat a candidate, especially an HR professional.

Java Developer Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at HomeAway in July 2012.

Interview Details – Get phone interview

Interview Question – Front end questions, javascripts...   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – Phone interview with recruiter. Recruiter got upset after she misunderstood something I said and sent rejection email after only a couple of minutes into the call. Definitely be careful what you say on phone interview. Really not sure if the recruiter was having a bad day, but it was sad.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for HomeAway   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for HomeAway? Contribute to the Community!

HomeAway Videos

HomeAway – Why Work for Us?

HomeAway, Inc. based in Austin, Texas, the world's leading online marketplace for the vacation rental industry, with sites representing approximately 890,000 paid listings of vacation rental homes in 190 countries… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HomeAway interview questions and advice in Austin, TX. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by HomeAway employees and interview candidates.