HomeAway Interview Questions in Austin, TX

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

2.9

Senior Java Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, after 3 weeks, I got call from Recruiter. He did tech screening with me to make sure I am the right fit for this position. After One week, I was scheduled for Phone Screen with Hiring manager. I answered every questions correctly and I did follow up with him to make sure I answered every questions correctly. At the end of the interview, he did say that all my answers are correct. Interview lasted long for 1 hour. Next day, I was email from recruiter that I am not perfect fit for this position. Actually I was being told by many friends and people from Austin Java user group that they are very picky in selecting candidates. I already got 3 job offers in hands prior to taking interview with HomeAway. It was definitely very difficult interview, but again I followed up with interviewer to correct me if my answer is wrong. he said all my answer were correct. I see many people getting rejected on glassdoor as well. Good Luck Fellas!!!

Interview Questions

• Very tough questions and they asked mostly advanced java algorithm questions.   Answer Question

Onboarding Training Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Standard interview process from recruiter phone call, to additional in-person interviews. Excellent follow up from the recruiter, the coordinator and what to expect along each step of the way. I felt at ease and had done my homework prior to each step of the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you work with millennials?   1 Answer

Customer Support Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

There was a telephone interview with a recruiter, followed by an on-site interview with two individuals from the department. The interview was pretty standard for the type of position. They ask about how you handle upset customers and how have you overcome difficulties with co-workers or managers in the past. They basically probe your personality to see if you are friendly and malleable enough to work in a customer support environment. There may have been a few minor technical competency questions too. I had a call and offer from the recruiter the next day.

Interview Questions

• At what point would you escalate a customer to a lead, supervisor or manager?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I think there was more room to negotiate than I did at the time of the offer. My advice is to negotiate and ask for more than they offer. They can afford it and it is deserved for a somewhat stressful job.

Onboarding Project Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone screening and three in-person interviews with individuals from the team. The hiring manager explained the structure of the department and each team within it, which was helpful. The remaining time was used for answering questions about my experience and asking my own about the company. Overall, it was a very smooth process.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember a specific one off the top of my head. But most were about my experience.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter within a week. We had a brief conversation and then he set me up with the hiring manager for a couple days out. About a week later the recruiter confirmed that they wanted to proceed with an onsite. My preferred time did not work for them so we agreed to find time in the next week. After a couple of days I followed up because I hadn't heard anything, something fell through with the coordinator, as it was my onsite was that day in 3 hours, I just hadn't been notified. I was able to shift my schedule so that I could make it. I met with the recruiter, the hiring manager, a senior engineer, followed by another senior engineer, followed by an architect. I was not on my game and did poorly overall. The building (Austin - Domain) is very nice and the people seemed nice as well.

Interview Questions

• Some of the questions were specific and related to processing strings and the answer was clear. Others were vague but I got a sense that they were looking for a specific answer or solution that I did not produce. They want to hear what you are thinking but did not say much back while working the problems. I was not asked much about my previous experience or projects nor how I might contribute to the organization. It was very much all about coding algorithms, data structures, and run time efficiency.

Some topics: string manipulation, convex hull, palindrome generator, tree traversal

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Scheduled an on campus interview (technical + behavioral, around 30 minutes) during a campus career fair. Heard back from them about 3 weeks after the interview for an on site interview. The on site interview was half a day, including lunch followed by four 45-minute technical interviews. Got their final decision a week later.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about the Convex hull problem- a pretty famous Math/Computational problem that you can google it and find interesting solutions on it. But I had not heard of it before the interview and had a little struggle working through it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Not too bad. They asked me about Java class, polymorphism, Java interfaces, and some networking questions. It wasn't too bad but I wasn't able to answer a couple of the networking questions. The easiest part was the coding question. I had to find the total sum of the numbers that are divisible by a given input. Simple little method. The recruiter was really nice. I thought I did well in the interview but got an email about three weeks later saying they were looking for more qualified students. Don't know why....

Interview Questions

• The question I was most surprised by was the Java Interfaces. I was not expecting that at all.   Answer Question

SEO Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

The hiring process is pretty tortuous—HR has a lot of difficulty communicating with hiring managers, and requisitions and whatnot have a tendency to get lost or dropped. Pretty nerve-wracking from an outsider, but par for the course. Unfortunately I don't have advice about whether or not to pester the hiring manager or not—oftentimes the issue lies with HR. Still, diligence is recommended.

Very relaxed interview overall. Mine was a three-step process:

* Interview with HR: Very informal, almost a chat. This person can give a thumbs-up but it's kind of inconsequential compared to the hiring manager's perception, obviously.
    * Interview with team: Seven people were there in all, no hiring manager. Firing questions from everyone. A little hair-raising at first but the large group actually means there's less time to overthink since the questions tend to be pretty rapid-fire.
    * Interview with hiring manager: Your standard one-on-one.

Interview Questions

• I don't want to give the impression that there's a rubric of questions so I'm not going to answer this specifically. I will say that it helps to be as concrete as possible—provide case studies. The team prefers to hear how tools were used or assessed rather than what "inbound marketing" blogs you may read, so definitely be prepared to be as real-world asp ossible.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was desperate to leave my previous job so I did not attempt to negotiate. I simply asked for a salary "reasonably higher" than my previous one and was given that.

Customer Support Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

Interviewed with one guy in person and another over an intercom. Overall, an easy process and pretty laid back. Very tech savvy company so make sure you are good with computers!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Took two days and got hired immediately

Data Quality Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

Great questions, very well organized. Hiring was fast and company provided a great help on relocation.
    The team was very open to the different question and walk away standard task. The answer was on the same day with great positive follow up.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

to consider