HomeAway

37 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in May 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and was contacted within a matter of days. A few days after that, an interview was scheduled. A few hours after my initial interview, a second interview was scheduled. My second interview (I had two interviews over skype) lasted about an hour. I was offered a position less than a week later. I think the entire process took two weeks (from sending my resume to accepting the offer).

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one.

Sales Agent Interview

Sales Agent

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – very easy interview process- cant remember to much other than had a couple interviews and no hard questions. Was told in a few weeks that I got the job. I started right away and received benefits right away. I stayed at company 8 years

Negotiation Details – no I didn't negotiate

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Senior Software Engineer In Test

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in April 2014.

Interview Details – Interview experience was awesome. Very friendly people made life easy. They know why they are interviewing and what they want. I had a phone interview , followed by a group interview. Technical discussion in the interview. Asked questions on selenium , the way i would automate things. What are the best practices etc.

Interview Question – Nothing really   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was a good experience altogether , i got what i need. Have to request and the traditional negotiation was there :) .

SEO Analyst Interview

SEO Analyst
Austin, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – The hiring process is pretty tortuous—HR has a lot of difficulty communicating with hiring managers, and requisitions and whatnot have a tendency to get lost or dropped. Pretty nerve-wracking from an outsider, but par for the course. Unfortunately I don't have advice about whether or not to pester the hiring manager or not—oftentimes the issue lies with HR. Still, diligence is recommended.

Very relaxed interview overall. Mine was a three-step process:

* Interview with HR: Very informal, almost a chat. This person can give a thumbs-up but it's kind of inconsequential compared to the hiring manager's perception, obviously.
* Interview with team: Seven people were there in all, no hiring manager. Firing questions from everyone. A little hair-raising at first but the large group actually means there's less time to overthink since the questions tend to be pretty rapid-fire.
* Interview with hiring manager: Your standard one-on-one.

Interview Question – I don't want to give the impression that there's a rubric of questions so I'm not going to answer this specifically. I will say that it helps to be as concrete as possible—provide case studies. The team prefers to hear how tools were used or assessed rather than what "inbound marketing" blogs you may read, so definitely be prepared to be as real-world asp ossible.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was desperate to leave my previous job so I did not attempt to negotiate. I simply asked for a salary "reasonably higher" than my previous one and was given that.

Data Quality Engineer Interview

Data Quality Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at HomeAway in May 2014.

Interview Details – Great questions, very well organized. Hiring was fast and company provided a great help on relocation.
The team was very open to the different question and walk away standard task. The answer was on the same day with great positive follow up.

Interview Question – some technical, but learn already at the interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – to consider

Customer Support Representative Interview

Customer Support Representative
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – Interviewed with one guy in person and another over an intercom. Overall, an easy process and pretty laid back. Very tech savvy company so make sure you are good with computers!

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Took two days and got hired immediately

Intern Interview

Intern
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in May 2011.

Interview Details – Phone screen followed by phone interview with hiring manager. From there, went into the office for 3 in-person interviews (hiring manager, co-worker and department director). No tricky questions - basic and straight forward.

Interview Question – Nothing surprising or out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in November 2013.

Interview Details – First round was a 30 min on campus interview, after which I was invited for onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of 4 or 5 interviews. A lot of coding questions and design questions. Also, UML design and database stuff. Challenging, I would say.

Very Easy Interview

Trust & Security Interview

Trust & Security
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – I applied for a position in December 2013. The position would be in "Trust & Integrity." The problem is the homes some people listed were "not as advertised." Hackers were hijacking the address and contact information and convincing prospective renters to send them a check of the real owner. Their business has grown exponentially and the instances of fraud had increased proportionally.
My first interview was out of the blue. The HR person contacted me via email and I responded within the hour. We scheduled a time for the next day and I set to work doing my pre-interview work. I start with the SEC website. Homeaway is a publicly traded company so reading their 8k. 10k's, and their last two annual reports was my first stop. This took several hours and lots of notes.
Next was to review employees of the company and see if they had posted any Powerpoints to review. I found interviews with the CEO (Brian Sharples). He gave two really good interviews which taught me a lot about the company.
Next I wanted to understand their business model. Actually they have two. 95% of their revenue is based on advertsing. Homeowners list their place on the Homeaway.com , vrbo.com, bedandbreakfast.com websites and homeaway delivers the content to over 100 countries. This is a great idea. Now all those millions of beautiful homes that sit emply for 50 weeks out of the year can generate some profit to the owner.
The HR person I interviewed was young. Based on her LinkedIn profile she had a few years of experience but was in no way ready to interview me. She could not answer even simple questions. For her it appeared to be a punchlist.... move on to the next one.
I am reminded of a story Dolly Parton told many years ago. She was early in her career and decided to enter a Dolly Parton lookalike contest. She made the first cut and then the second. It all came down to the final 3 and Dolly- looking her perkiest-- lost. The judges said that she did not look enough like the real Dolly Parton.
The first interview lasted only about 10 minutes and she had to go. We scheduled another interview that afternoon. She wanted to know about my fraud fighting experience. I recounted the capture and return of a large piece of construction equipment. The previous company had hired several private investigators. All had failed. It had been 18 months since that began the process to repossess it. I found it in four days. You just have to read the case, understand the mindset of the person and the situation, use concentric circles of interviewing and be discrete. Most people will talk to you if you are polite. Sometimes it just about asking the right person ---the right questions-- in the right way.

Interview Question – She didn't ask that many question. The only one I remember that I thought she was being vague on was what software programs I had used in the past. It was obviously a "fishing expedition" rather than saying "We use XYZ CRM. Have you ever worked with XYZ before? No she wanted me to guess. Weird   View Answer

Customer Support Representative Interview

Customer Support Representative
Pensacola, FL

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at HomeAway in May 2013.

Interview Details – There were numerous interviews involved, first by someone in HR over the phone, then a followup by a manager over the phone and a test of my on the fly support skills.
Finally, there was a panel interview in the actual office. I was proffered an offer roughly a week later.

Interview Question – I would say that the hardest part would be the test of support skills.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was asked what my desired hourly range would be, and they offered in the middle of the range.

Worked for HomeAway? Contribute to the Community!