HomeAway

Average Difficulty
32 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – Met them at a college career fair - had one interview on campus
Got a phone call a wk to two wks later, asked to come out.
Came out, had 4 interviews. Everyone was really nice
Got a call following week with the offer

Interview Question – nothing too hard   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not sure if I will decline yet, but I didn't really get to talk to the ppl much and figure out the atomsphere.

Software Engineer - Intern Interview

Software Engineer - Intern
Boulder, CO

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied to HomeAway through a career fair at my college. The interview process went well. I selected a time slot at the fair after having a small conversation with an employer. During the interview, I was asked general questions about my resume and my experience. He then asked general programming questions and afterwards a technical programming question. I was then emailed a couple weeks later stating whether or not I received an offer.

Interview Question – The programming question consisted of writing a program to sum up the elements in an array that are divisible by two numbers given. So let's say you have an array [1, 2, 3, ... 10]. Then given two numbers, say 3 and 5, you want to sum up the numbers divisible by 3 or 5 in that array and return the value. So it would be 3+5+6+9+10.

Also he asked me some general programming questions like what inheritance is and what the difference between an object and a class is.
  View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – Had an initial phone call which asked about my skills, and the second round was a technical interview with the architect.

Interview Question – I was asked to implement a java program to get the column name in excel given a column number. (eg 1 -> A, 27 -> AA)... The solution involved recursion   Answer Question

Software Engineer Internship Interview

Software Engineer Internship

I applied through college or university - interviewed at HomeAway in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied at the university job fair and got an interview the next day. The people is very friendly. They asked about Object oriented programming concept, some web questions and networking questions.

Interview Question – Nothing too special, all are very easy questions.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a job thru LinkedIn. I was contacted by a recruiter offering a different job which I still liked so I decided to move ahead with it. After an hour talk with 2 directors they decided to flight me in. A lot talks about how the company is awesome. While onsite I had 4 interviews of about 45 mins each. Only 2 were technical, one was about a puzzle question and the other on was about multithreading. There was never a chance to show real programming skills. If you do something wrong, they wont tell you or try to get you to think about the problem differently. I couldnt do the puzzle question, but I did well on the other question. The recruiter called me a couple of days later to tell me that they werent going to make me an offer. They seriously need to revamp their interview process to include more relevant questions.

Interview Question – Dependency graph   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a phone call to schedule a phone interview with HR. The phone interview covered basic customer service/experience type questions. Asked to site specific examples of challenges that have been overcome in past job's.

After passing the initial screening over the phone a 1:1 interview was scheduled with a team lead. The direct hiring manager was never present. The typical interview questions were asked. Nothing out of the ordinary from other interviews that I've had. After the interview I was told I would be contacted within a few days.

I was contacted and offered the position. I was sent the contract and asked to sign or decline. There would have been opportunity to negotiate the hourly rate but it was a competitive wage so I accepted and started training within 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. You are asked to site specific examples of times that you felt that you handled a customer or a situation the best and what the outcome was.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I personally did not negotiate. I was asked initially what my current job paid me and I think they just tried to exceed that. I could have negotiated but didn't because I felt the wage offered was fair.

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Human Resources Business Partner
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in May 2013.

Interview Details – Very poor candidate experience. Recruiter emailed requesting my availability for an interview which I responded to immediately. I wait over a week without a response. I'm invited to an on-site event a week later and then practically ignored. I'm called a week later for my availability again which I respond to right away and another week passes. The recruiter then calls back to tell me they are not sure they want to interview me after all. Very unprofessional and disrespectful way to treat a candidate, especially an HR professional.

Marketing Interview

Marketing

I interviewed at HomeAway in March 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was conducted very poorly, especially in terms of followup, feedback and next steps. After interviewing there twice, I received no response regarding my continuation of the interview process or rejecting/offer. I was promised a response but never received one. I reached out twice, to the company's internal recruiter and the primary person I interviewed with, and received complete silence. This is especially surprising considering how urgent filling the position seemed to them, hence them asking me to please come in, which was unsolicited by me.

I found this lack of any communication to be extremely unprofessional and likely a reflection of the company. They showed no regard for respect or personal decency by leaving a candidate completely in the dark. This is utter lack of regard for other people's current employment situation or career opportunity completely unacceptable. I recommend you pass on interviewing with them, and save yourself the hassle and frustration.

Interview Question – Nothing hard   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Marketing Intern

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – I had an intial phone interview with my soon to be manager and was then asked to come in to meet with the team. Overall, the entire process went very smoothly, HR University Recruiting Person was so helpful and really great throughout the process. Great communication the whole way through. Very Excited to Intern here!

Interview Question – Name a time that you have failed at something?
Do you work well on teams?
Strengths and Weaknesses
  Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Java Developer
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at HomeAway in July 2012.

Interview Details – Get phone interview