HomeAway Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2015

2.9

Senior Java Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, after 3 weeks, I got call from Recruiter. He did tech screening with me to make sure I am the right fit for this position. After One week, I was scheduled for Phone Screen with Hiring manager. I answered every questions correctly and I did follow up with him to make sure I answered every questions correctly. At the end of the interview, he did say that all my answers are correct. Interview lasted long for 1 hour. Next day, I was email from recruiter that I am not perfect fit for this position. Actually I was being told by many friends and people from Austin Java user group that they are very picky in selecting candidates. I already got 3 job offers in hands prior to taking interview with HomeAway. It was definitely very difficult interview, but again I followed up with interviewer to correct me if my answer is wrong. he said all my answer were correct. I see many people getting rejected on glassdoor as well. Good Luck Fellas!!!

Interview Questions

• Very tough questions and they asked mostly advanced java algorithm questions.   Answer Question

Onboarding Training Content Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I originally applied to this position 5 months before the recruiter contacted me. I had a great conversation with the recruiter and sent her some work samples. She immediately set me up for an on site interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager asked many great questions that were relevant to the job description and there was a good connection. I left work samples with her. The second interview was with another person on the team. Her main concern about me was whether I was willing to do skits or sing songs for various events. I was a little disappointed that it was only that. She also asked me how old my kids were which is not legal. However I did get a call back within 3 hours to set up the final interview with the department senior manager. She spent the interciew telling me how great her team was and all the things she did to create a positive culture. It was also stated many times how many internal applicants there were for this position. I began to wonder if I was just a token outsider being interviewed. The upper manager already seemed to have her mind made up before our interview started. She wanted to know how I got this interview. Who did I know? I was offended because I got the interciew from my experience and education. There was an arrogance about her that put me off. I never heard a word from the recruiter again even after two very honest followups.

Interview Questions

• Where do you fit in within an office culture?   Answer Question
    • Who do you know that you were able to get this interview?   Answer Question
    • Are you going to fit in and sing songs and do skits?   Answer Question
    • the only appropriate questions came from the hiring manager and she was th e newest member of HomeAway.   Answer Question

Onboarding Training Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Standard interview process from recruiter phone call, to additional in-person interviews. Excellent follow up from the recruiter, the coordinator and what to expect along each step of the way. I felt at ease and had done my homework prior to each step of the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you work with millennials?   1 Answer

Senior Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview included few stages: - Initial phone screening - Screening questions - Screening exercises - In person interview. Personally I liked the process - they give you some exercises and you can take your time and not be under pressure. Screening exercises included couple tasks to create test cases, static code analysis for bugs, spec review, some SQL questions.

Content Writer and Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job about a month or so before I ever heard from the recruiter. The recruiter, Vanessa, was very likable and professional. Just a lovely person. She asked me all the pertinent questions and seemed keen. She wrote to tell me soon after that I passed the first test and that the person who would be my boss wanted to have a 45-minute phone interview with me. Phone interview went very well. Was asked about my experience as a writer and editor, why I wanted to leave the freelance world, why Homeaway, etc. Got an email an hour after the interview concluded to say they loved me and that they had interviewed a lot of people but I was "special." They asked me to complete a writing and editing test. I did so and sent it along. Was asked to fly to Austin to have a final interview with five people, including the CEO. I had the five-hour interview. The first was with the woman would would have been my boss. She asked some good questions but then started asking me about analytics. I never saw analytics in the job description nor did anyone ask me about that skill before. I fumbled for an answer and knew I was rambling because I only know the basics. I could see her eyes crossing. She never asked me about my writing or editing assignment. Just asked me howI think I did. Her questions rambled and were not coherent. Many of them had nothing to do with the job. The other four people asked me pertinent questions and seemed to like me. They never called me or emailed me afterward to say I didn't got the job. I even sent a handwritten thank you card to the woman who would have been my boss. You would think she would have given me the courtesy of a reply? VERY UNPROFESSIONAL! I hounded the HR person, Vanessa, and she did finally respond to say I didn't get the job because I had no analytics experience. She seemed very apologetic. Ok, that's fine but PLEASE put that in your skills section on your job posting so you people applying know. And it was a writer/editor position. Anyone can learn analytics. Funny thing, they told me they had been looking for months for someone and had flown one or two other peeps down from the big city (NYC) to Austin for final interviews. I bet those people stumbled on the analytics questions, too. This interview was in March, they reposted it right away and AGAIN, this week, they have the job posting up on their site. I guess you can't find any analytics editors with more than 10 years experience, huh? Oh and another thing: The hotel they had me stay at was abysmal and asked me to pay for my room when I arrived. When I said it was prepaid, they said that wasn't so. The dumb front desk person or the HR assistant screwed up and I had to fork over my card and I was charged TWICE for my hotel room. Needless to say, it took me more than a month to get reimbursed. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• blah blah blah tell me about analytics? how would you read and analyze this data? and a bunch of other questions on and on about analytics.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

I applied in a career fair, then get an interview next day,. It is a on-campus interview, but I didn't do it well. There is no phone interview or other interview. Then after some basic questions of OOP concept, the algorithm question is about 3sum. I did not get further interview.

Interview Questions

• Difference between class and object. What's the feature of a Set? 3Sum.   Answer Question

Database Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

I had my interview onsite and had 3 people interviewing me. They were very friendly and technically sound. Manager walked me through the campus and showed me the facility. The best part was the cafe and the conference rooms and they were building a new campus which they were about to move to in a few months.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to join our company?   1 Answer

Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

There was a telephone interview with a recruiter, followed by an on-site interview with two individuals from the department. The interview was pretty standard for the type of position. They ask about how you handle upset customers and how have you overcome difficulties with co-workers or managers in the past. They basically probe your personality to see if you are friendly and malleable enough to work in a customer support environment. There may have been a few minor technical competency questions too. I had a call and offer from the recruiter the next day.

Interview Questions

• At what point would you escalate a customer to a lead, supervisor or manager?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I think there was more room to negotiate than I did at the time of the offer. My advice is to negotiate and ask for more than they offer. They can afford it and it is deserved for a somewhat stressful job.

Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

When you first apply you work with a recruiter. The recruiter I spoke with was really nice and helpful. You complete a phone interview and then they schedule you for a face to face with a supervisor and a team lead. It is all behavioral questions using the STAR method. You will then get a call from the recruiter to dicuss a job offer. It took a week from when I submitted my application to when I got hired on.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you lost your patience with a customer and how you ended up resolving the issue if you were able to at all.   Answer Question

Global Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted the recruiter through LinkedIn, got the initial phone screen with the recruiter. After the phone interview, he sent me few questions to reply in written by the end of the day. I drafted detail replies to the questions and sent it just before the midnight. I got an email at 8 am with a standard verbiage "thank you for applying..". I just couldn't understand how could they review all my answers that quick. If they already had someone in mind then they shouldn't have wasted my time in drafting a written response to their questions. It was a worst interviewing experience I had since they didn't even have the courtesy to acknowledge a detailed response to their questions. Thank you Homeaway for wasting my time and being inconsiderate.

Interview Questions

• 1. Describe a really hard problem you had at work and how you went about solving it? 2. Any experience working with executives. If so, what was the project & impact? 3. Give me an example of where you provided new business growth ideas. What were the ideas & the impact?   Answer Question