HomeAway Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2014

2.8

Trust & Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at HomeAway.

I applied for a position in December 2013. The position would be in "Trust & Integrity." The problem is the homes some people listed were "not as advertised." Hackers were hijacking the address and contact information and convincing prospective renters to send them a check of the real owner. Their business has grown exponentially and the instances of fraud had increased proportionally.
    My first interview was out of the blue. The HR person contacted me via email and I responded within the hour. We scheduled a time for the next day and I set to work doing my pre-interview work. I start with the SEC website. Homeaway is a publicly traded company so reading their 8k. 10k's, and their last two annual reports was my first stop. This took several hours and lots of notes.
    Next was to review employees of the company and see if they had posted any Powerpoints to review. I found interviews with the CEO (Brian Sharples). He gave two really good interviews which taught me a lot about the company.
    Next I wanted to understand their business model. Actually they have two. 95% of their revenue is based on advertsing. Homeowners list their place on the Homeaway.com , vrbo.com, bedandbreakfast.com websites and homeaway delivers the content to over 100 countries. This is a great idea. Now all those millions of beautiful homes that sit emply for 50 weeks out of the year can generate some profit to the owner.
    The HR person I interviewed was young. Based on her LinkedIn profile she had a few years of experience but was in no way ready to interview me. She could not answer even simple questions. For her it appeared to be a punchlist.... move on to the next one.
    I am reminded of a story Dolly Parton told many years ago. She was early in her career and decided to enter a Dolly Parton lookalike contest. She made the first cut and then the second. It all came down to the final 3 and Dolly- looking her perkiest-- lost. The judges said that she did not look enough like the real Dolly Parton.
    The first interview lasted only about 10 minutes and she had to go. We scheduled another interview that afternoon. She wanted to know about my fraud fighting experience. I recounted the capture and return of a large piece of construction equipment. The previous company had hired several private investigators. All had failed. It had been 18 months since that began the process to repossess it. I found it in four days. You just have to read the case, understand the mindset of the person and the situation, use concentric circles of interviewing and be discrete. Most people will talk to you if you are polite. Sometimes it just about asking the right person ---the right questions-- in the right way.

Interview Questions
    • She didn't ask that many question. The only one I remember that I thought she was being vague on was what software programs I had used in the past. It was obviously a "fishing expedition" rather than saying "We use XYZ CRM. Have you ever worked with XYZ before? No she wanted me to guess. Weird   View Answer

Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pensacola, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at HomeAway in May 2013.

There were numerous interviews involved, first by someone in HR over the phone, then a followup by a manager over the phone and a test of my on the fly support skills.
    Finally, there was a panel interview in the actual office. I was proffered an offer roughly a week later.

Interview Questions
    • I would say that the hardest part would be the test of support skills.   View Answer
    I was asked what my desired hourly range would be, and they offered in the middle of the range.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at HomeAway in October 2013.

1st HR phone screen: every easy, most of the questions are very common, asked about school's projects, work experience etc.

2nd Technical phone screen: most of them are fairly easy
       1. What is the difference between an array and a vector
       2. What is the difference between a class and a object
       3. Given an array of integers, find the max int
       4. Remove duplications from an array of int
       5. Design a Unix file system with OOP (I failed this question, should have prepared better)
       6. What does 'grep' command in linux do?
       7. What does 2^16 equal?

Got the rejection email the next day, obviously they believed I was not good at OOP so they did not bother to call me to the next round. Make sure to polish your OOP concepts and applications. Best of luck fellas!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in November 2013.

Met them at the campus career-fair. I got a phone interview in a week. Phone interview consisted of a breadth of technical questions ranging from data-structures to algorithms to web technologies. Got invited to interview on-site the next week.

On-site visit started with lunch on their rooftop, followed by a tour of the offices, then the interviews. Four, 45min interviews with a 15min break after the first two. Half were algorithm/data-structure related, the other half was design/behavioral.

Got contacted the week after the interviews with the offer.

It wasn't easy, but it wasn't impossible either.

Interview Questions
    • A question asking you to solve a real-world, Homeaway related problem using Java. Don't remember the exact details of it.   View Answer
    Recent graduate so I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in October 2013.

Got a call next day after the career fair at my school. Set up a one-on-one on-campus interview the following week. After more than a month, they got back to me and said wanted to do a phone interview. After the phone interview, they asked me to come to their headquarters the following week. During the final rounds, I had 4 interviews of which 3 were technical, one was mainly behavioral. Technical questions: basic OOP questions, subset problem (but with pairs of numbers)), duplicating a twisted linked list, recursion in a multi-threading scenario. I did decent and provided solutions. After 2 weeks, they got back to me saying they won't be making me an offer. A long process finally came to an end.

Interview Questions
    • Duplicating a Linked Link where each node had an extra pointer that could point to itself, to any random node in the Linked List, or be NULL.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at HomeAway.

four round on-site, one question is to transfer integer to Roman, one question is about prefix tree, one question is for cyclic linked list. But interviewers always expect you to come up with a better solution after you write down the answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway.

Met them at a college career fair - had one interview on campus
    Got a phone call a wk to two wks later, asked to come out.
    Came out, had 4 interviews. Everyone was really nice
    Got a call following week with the offer

Interview Questions

Not sure if I will decline yet, but I didn't really get to talk to the ppl much and figure out the atomsphere.

Software Engineer - Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boulder, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in October 2013.

I applied to HomeAway through a career fair at my college. The interview process went well. I selected a time slot at the fair after having a small conversation with an employer. During the interview, I was asked general questions about my resume and my experience. He then asked general programming questions and afterwards a technical programming question. I was then emailed a couple weeks later stating whether or not I received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The programming question consisted of writing a program to sum up the elements in an array that are divisible by two numbers given. So let's say you have an array [1, 2, 3, ... 10]. Then given two numbers, say 3 and 5, you want to sum up the numbers divisible by 3 or 5 in that array and return the value. So it would be 3+5+6+9+10.

Also he asked me some general programming questions like what inheritance is and what the difference between an object and a class is.
        View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at HomeAway.

Had an initial phone call which asked about my skills, and the second round was a technical interview with the architect.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to implement a java program to get the column name in excel given a column number. (eg 1 -> A, 27 -> AA)... The solution involved recursion   View Answer

Software Engineer Internship Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at HomeAway in September 2013.

I applied at the university job fair and got an interview the next day. The people is very friendly. They asked about Object oriented programming concept, some web questions and networking questions.