HomeAway

Average Difficulty
36 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in November 2013.

Interview Details – Met them at the campus career-fair. I got a phone interview in a week. Phone interview consisted of a breadth of technical questions ranging from data-structures to algorithms to web technologies. Got invited to interview on-site the next week.

On-site visit started with lunch on their rooftop, followed by a tour of the offices, then the interviews. Four, 45min interviews with a 15min break after the first two. Half were algorithm/data-structure related, the other half was design/behavioral.

Got contacted the week after the interviews with the offer.

It wasn't easy, but it wasn't impossible either.

Interview Question – A question asking you to solve a real-world, Homeaway related problem using Java. Don't remember the exact details of it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Recent graduate so I did not negotiate.

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in October 2013.

Interview Details – Got a call next day after the career fair at my school. Set up a one-on-one on-campus interview the following week. After more than a month, they got back to me and said wanted to do a phone interview. After the phone interview, they asked me to come to their headquarters the following week. During the final rounds, I had 4 interviews of which 3 were technical, one was mainly behavioral. Technical questions: basic OOP questions, subset problem (but with pairs of numbers)), duplicating a twisted linked list, recursion in a multi-threading scenario. I did decent and provided solutions. After 2 weeks, they got back to me saying they won't be making me an offer. A long process finally came to an end.

Interview Question – Duplicating a Linked Link where each node had an extra pointer that could point to itself, to any random node in the Linked List, or be NULL.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – four round on-site, one question is to transfer integer to Roman, one question is about prefix tree, one question is for cyclic linked list. But interviewers always expect you to come up with a better solution after you write down the answer

Interview Question – no unexpected question   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – Met them at a college career fair - had one interview on campus
Got a phone call a wk to two wks later, asked to come out.
Came out, had 4 interviews. Everyone was really nice
Got a call following week with the offer

Interview Question – nothing too hard   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not sure if I will decline yet, but I didn't really get to talk to the ppl much and figure out the atomsphere.

Software Engineer - Intern Interview

Software Engineer - Intern
Boulder, CO

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied to HomeAway through a career fair at my college. The interview process went well. I selected a time slot at the fair after having a small conversation with an employer. During the interview, I was asked general questions about my resume and my experience. He then asked general programming questions and afterwards a technical programming question. I was then emailed a couple weeks later stating whether or not I received an offer.

Interview Question – The programming question consisted of writing a program to sum up the elements in an array that are divisible by two numbers given. So let's say you have an array [1, 2, 3, ... 10]. Then given two numbers, say 3 and 5, you want to sum up the numbers divisible by 3 or 5 in that array and return the value. So it would be 3+5+6+9+10.

Also he asked me some general programming questions like what inheritance is and what the difference between an object and a class is.
  View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – Had an initial phone call which asked about my skills, and the second round was a technical interview with the architect.

Interview Question – I was asked to implement a java program to get the column name in excel given a column number. (eg 1 -> A, 27 -> AA)... The solution involved recursion   Answer Question

Software Engineer Internship Interview

Software Engineer Internship

I applied through college or university - interviewed at HomeAway in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied at the university job fair and got an interview the next day. The people is very friendly. They asked about Object oriented programming concept, some web questions and networking questions.

Interview Question – Nothing too special, all are very easy questions.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a job thru LinkedIn. I was contacted by a recruiter offering a different job which I still liked so I decided to move ahead with it. After an hour talk with 2 directors they decided to flight me in. A lot talks about how the company is awesome. While onsite I had 4 interviews of about 45 mins each. Only 2 were technical, one was about a puzzle question and the other on was about multithreading. There was never a chance to show real programming skills. If you do something wrong, they wont tell you or try to get you to think about the problem differently. I couldnt do the puzzle question, but I did well on the other question. The recruiter called me a couple of days later to tell me that they werent going to make me an offer. They seriously need to revamp their interview process to include more relevant questions.

Interview Question – Dependency graph   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a phone call to schedule a phone interview with HR. The phone interview covered basic customer service/experience type questions. Asked to site specific examples of challenges that have been overcome in past job's.

After passing the initial screening over the phone a 1:1 interview was scheduled with a team lead. The direct hiring manager was never present. The typical interview questions were asked. Nothing out of the ordinary from other interviews that I've had. After the interview I was told I would be contacted within a few days.

I was contacted and offered the position. I was sent the contract and asked to sign or decline. There would have been opportunity to negotiate the hourly rate but it was a competitive wage so I accepted and started training within 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. You are asked to site specific examples of times that you felt that you handled a customer or a situation the best and what the outcome was.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I personally did not negotiate. I was asked initially what my current job paid me and I think they just tried to exceed that. I could have negotiated but didn't because I felt the wage offered was fair.

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Human Resources Business Partner
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in May 2013.

Interview Details – Very poor candidate experience. Recruiter emailed requesting my availability for an interview which I responded to immediately. I wait over a week without a response. I'm invited to an on-site event a week later and then practically ignored. I'm called a week later for my availability again which I respond to right away and another week passes. The recruiter then calls back to tell me they are not sure they want to interview me after all. Very unprofessional and disrespectful way to treat a candidate, especially an HR professional.