HomeAway Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Scheduled an on campus interview (technical + behavioral, around 30 minutes) during a campus career fair. Heard back from them about 3 weeks after the interview for an on site interview. The on site interview was half a day, including lunch followed by four 45-minute technical interviews. Got their final decision a week later.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about the Convex hull problem- a pretty famous Math/Computational problem that you can google it and find interesting solutions on it. But I had not heard of it before the interview and had a little struggle working through it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Intern Interview

Interview

Applied to the company at a career fair at my college, received an interview for the next day. Interview was very low-key, the guy who interviewed me was really chill and easy to talk to. Haven't received word whether or not I got an offer yet.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Not too bad. They asked me about Java class, polymorphism, Java interfaces, and some networking questions. It wasn't too bad but I wasn't able to answer a couple of the networking questions. The easiest part was the coding question. I had to find the total sum of the numbers that are divisible by a given input. Simple little method. The recruiter was really nice. I thought I did well in the interview but got an email about three weeks later saying they were looking for more qualified students. Don't know why....

Interview Questions

• The question I was most surprised by was the Java Interfaces. I was not expecting that at all.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at HomeAway in September 2014.

Interview

I went to the career fair at my university and was asked to sign up for a 30-minute technical interview the next day. They were very nice and wanted to know what I knew.

Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

very easy interview process- cant remember to much other than had a couple interviews and no hard questions. Was told in a few weeks that I got the job. I started right away and received benefits right away. I stayed at company 8 years

Negotiation

no I didn't negotiate

SEO Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

The hiring process is pretty tortuous—HR has a lot of difficulty communicating with hiring managers, and requisitions and whatnot have a tendency to get lost or dropped. Pretty nerve-wracking from an outsider, but par for the course. Unfortunately I don't have advice about whether or not to pester the hiring manager or not—oftentimes the issue lies with HR. Still, diligence is recommended.

Very relaxed interview overall. Mine was a three-step process:

* Interview with HR: Very informal, almost a chat. This person can give a thumbs-up but it's kind of inconsequential compared to the hiring manager's perception, obviously.
    * Interview with team: Seven people were there in all, no hiring manager. Firing questions from everyone. A little hair-raising at first but the large group actually means there's less time to overthink since the questions tend to be pretty rapid-fire.
    * Interview with hiring manager: Your standard one-on-one.

Interview Questions

• I don't want to give the impression that there's a rubric of questions so I'm not going to answer this specifically. I will say that it helps to be as concrete as possible—provide case studies. The team prefers to hear how tools were used or assessed rather than what "inbound marketing" blogs you may read, so definitely be prepared to be as real-world asp ossible.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was desperate to leave my previous job so I did not attempt to negotiate. I simply asked for a salary "reasonably higher" than my previous one and was given that.

Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

Interviewed with one guy in person and another over an intercom. Overall, an easy process and pretty laid back. Very tech savvy company so make sure you are good with computers!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Took two days and got hired immediately

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at HomeAway in July 2014.

Interview

The process consisted of a phone interview with the hiring manager, then an onsite interview where I met with 5 people. Overall the process was pretty straight forward and the on boarding process was just as straight forward. the team was very good at setting my expectations as well as sending me any maps or documentation that I would need prior to my interview. After the interview I was walked through the building to get a feel for the culture. I enjoyed my experience.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to run a query right there in the interview on the interviewers laptop. Was not expecting that!   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

Data Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

Great questions, very well organized. Hiring was fast and company provided a great help on relocation.
    The team was very open to the different question and walk away standard task. The answer was on the same day with great positive follow up.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

to consider

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HomeAway in May 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume and was contacted within a matter of days. A few days after that, an interview was scheduled. A few hours after my initial interview, a second interview was scheduled. My second interview (I had two interviews over skype) lasted about an hour. I was offered a position less than a week later. I think the entire process took two weeks (from sending my resume to accepting the offer).

Negotiation

There wasn't one.