1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in March 2009.

I found the process long, drawn out, and disorganized. After making email contact, I set up a phone interview with the recruiter. She called 15 minutes late and then told me she had a "hard stop" at the end of our originally scheduled time. After rushing through an initial screen, we had to set up a second call to follow up. The second call was about as unprofessional as the first, but they decided to bring me in for a face to face.

A week later, I came in to their office to met with the VP of Product and the Technology director. The interviews were a little odd since they really didn't ask me any questions. Things went smoothly, and they asked me to come in to their office again to meet the "rest of the team". After about a week and a half delay, during which the recruiter kept telling me all about the difficulties of scheduling cross departmental time, I was finally scheduled for a second set of interviews - 5 back to back interviews with 7 people, including product managers, developers, and designers, over lunch hours.

The interviews went pretty well. They just asked questions about my specific background and had me ask them questions about their company. My last interview of the day canceled on me. At the end of the day, the recruiter told me I also had to speak with another product manager that was off site in Colorado and set me up for a phone interview with him 4 days later. I spoke with him and it was more of the same discussions about their company and industry.

After this interview, I was not contacted or had my emails responded to for over a week. When the recruiter finally responded to me, it was to say that they were interested in having me in a different product management position. In order to verify this, they wanted me to take a 3rd half day, and come in to their office once again. At this point, I'd had enough. I told them I can speak with whoever they wanted on the phone, but I can't keep disappearing from work. It was also a little unsettling that after 1 month and 10 interviews with 9 people, this company still needed more information in order to make a decision.

They called me the next day and said they would be "pursuing other candidates", because I didn't want to come in anymore.

Interview Questions
  • What do you think our typical user is like?   View Answer

After 1 month and 10 interviews with 9 people they couldn't make a decision. That raised some red flags. Plus, I couldn't invest any more in the interview process.

Worked for HomeAway? Contribute to the Community!