HomeAway

Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.8

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Met them at the university recruiting fair. I was asked a bunch of C questions on the spot and got called for a technical interview the next day. There were more of JAVA questions asked during the one on one interview. Got the rejection a week later.

Other Interview Reviews for HomeAway

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HomeAway in October 2014.

Scheduled an on campus interview (technical + behavioral, around 30 minutes) during a campus career fair. Heard back from them about 3 weeks after the interview for an on site interview. The on site interview was half a day, including lunch followed by four 45-minute technical interviews. Got their final decision a week later.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about the Convex hull problem- a pretty famous Math/Computational problem that you can google it and find interesting solutions on it. But I had not heard of it before the interview and had a little struggle working through it.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at HomeAway in September 2014.

Not too bad. They asked me about Java class, polymorphism, Java interfaces, and some networking questions. It wasn't too bad but I wasn't able to answer a couple of the networking questions. The easiest part was the coding question. I had to find the total sum of the numbers that are divisible by a given input. Simple little method. The recruiter was really nice. I thought I did well in the interview but got an email about three weeks later saying they were looking for more qualified students. Don't know why....

Interview Questions
    • The question I was most surprised by was the Java Interfaces. I was not expecting that at all.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at HomeAway.

four round on-site, one question is to transfer integer to Roman, one question is about prefix tree, one question is for cyclic linked list. But interviewers always expect you to come up with a better solution after you write down the answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HomeAway.

Met them at a college career fair - had one interview on campus
    Got a phone call a wk to two wks later, asked to come out.
    Came out, had 4 interviews. Everyone was really nice
    Got a call following week with the offer

Interview Questions

Not sure if I will decline yet, but I didn't really get to talk to the ppl much and figure out the atomsphere.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HomeAway in November 2013.

Met them at the campus career-fair. I got a phone interview in a week. Phone interview consisted of a breadth of technical questions ranging from data-structures to algorithms to web technologies. Got invited to interview on-site the next week.

On-site visit started with lunch on their rooftop, followed by a tour of the offices, then the interviews. Four, 45min interviews with a 15min break after the first two. Half were algorithm/data-structure related, the other half was design/behavioral.

Got contacted the week after the interviews with the offer.

It wasn't easy, but it wasn't impossible either.

Interview Questions
    • A question asking you to solve a real-world, Homeaway related problem using Java. Don't remember the exact details of it.   View Answer
    Recent graduate so I did not negotiate.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at HomeAway in October 2013.

1st HR phone screen: every easy, most of the questions are very common, asked about school's projects, work experience etc.

2nd Technical phone screen: most of them are fairly easy
       1. What is the difference between an array and a vector
       2. What is the difference between a class and a object
       3. Given an array of integers, find the max int
       4. Remove duplications from an array of int
       5. Design a Unix file system with OOP (I failed this question, should have prepared better)
       6. What does 'grep' command in linux do?
       7. What does 2^16 equal?

Got the rejection email the next day, obviously they believed I was not good at OOP so they did not bother to call me to the next round. Make sure to polish your OOP concepts and applications. Best of luck fellas!

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at HomeAway.

Had an initial phone call which asked about my skills, and the second round was a technical interview with the architect.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to implement a java program to get the column name in excel given a column number. (eg 1 -> A, 27 -> AA)... The solution involved recursion   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at HomeAway in October 2013.

Got a call next day after the career fair at my school. Set up a one-on-one on-campus interview the following week. After more than a month, they got back to me and said wanted to do a phone interview. After the phone interview, they asked me to come to their headquarters the following week. During the final rounds, I had 4 interviews of which 3 were technical, one was mainly behavioral. Technical questions: basic OOP questions, subset problem (but with pairs of numbers)), duplicating a twisted linked list, recursion in a multi-threading scenario. I did decent and provided solutions. After 2 weeks, they got back to me saying they won't be making me an offer. A long process finally came to an end.

Interview Questions
    • Duplicating a Linked Link where each node had an extra pointer that could point to itself, to any random node in the Linked List, or be NULL.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HomeAway in August 2013.

I applied for a job thru LinkedIn. I was contacted by a recruiter offering a different job which I still liked so I decided to move ahead with it. After an hour talk with 2 directors they decided to flight me in. A lot talks about how the company is awesome. While onsite I had 4 interviews of about 45 mins each. Only 2 were technical, one was about a puzzle question and the other on was about multithreading. There was never a chance to show real programming skills. If you do something wrong, they wont tell you or try to get you to think about the problem differently. I couldnt do the puzzle question, but I did well on the other question. The recruiter called me a couple of days later to tell me that they werent going to make me an offer. They seriously need to revamp their interview process to include more relevant questions.