HomeAway

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineering

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at HomeAway in October 2013.

Interview Details – 1st HR phone screen: every easy, most of the questions are very common, asked about school's projects, work experience etc.

2nd Technical phone screen: most of them are fairly easy
   1. What is the difference between an array and a vector
   2. What is the difference between a class and a object
   3. Given an array of integers, find the max int
   4. Remove duplications from an array of int
   5. Design a Unix file system with OOP (I failed this question, should have prepared better)
   6. What does 'grep' command in linux do?
   7. What does 2^16 equal?

Got the rejection email the next day, obviously they believed I was not good at OOP so they did not bother to call me to the next round. Make sure to polish your OOP concepts and applications. Best of luck fellas!

Interview Question – OOP system design   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in November 2013.

Interview Details – Met them at the campus career-fair. I got a phone interview in a week. Phone interview consisted of a breadth of technical questions ranging from data-structures to algorithms to web technologies. Got invited to interview on-site the next week.

On-site visit started with lunch on their rooftop, followed by a tour of the offices, then the interviews. Four, 45min interviews with a 15min break after the first two. Half were algorithm/data-structure related, the other half was design/behavioral.

Got contacted the week after the interviews with the offer.

It wasn't easy, but it wasn't impossible either.

Interview Question – A question asking you to solve a real-world, Homeaway related problem using Java. Don't remember the exact details of it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Recent graduate so I did not negotiate.

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in October 2013.

Interview Details – Got a call next day after the career fair at my school. Set up a one-on-one on-campus interview the following week. After more than a month, they got back to me and said wanted to do a phone interview. After the phone interview, they asked me to come to their headquarters the following week. During the final rounds, I had 4 interviews of which 3 were technical, one was mainly behavioral. Technical questions: basic OOP questions, subset problem (but with pairs of numbers)), duplicating a twisted linked list, recursion in a multi-threading scenario. I did decent and provided solutions. After 2 weeks, they got back to me saying they won't be making me an offer. A long process finally came to an end.

Interview Question – Duplicating a Linked Link where each node had an extra pointer that could point to itself, to any random node in the Linked List, or be NULL.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – four round on-site, one question is to transfer integer to Roman, one question is about prefix tree, one question is for cyclic linked list. But interviewers always expect you to come up with a better solution after you write down the answer

Interview Question – no unexpected question   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – Met them at a college career fair - had one interview on campus
Got a phone call a wk to two wks later, asked to come out.
Came out, had 4 interviews. Everyone was really nice
Got a call following week with the offer

Interview Question – nothing too hard   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not sure if I will decline yet, but I didn't really get to talk to the ppl much and figure out the atomsphere.

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview Details – Had an initial phone call which asked about my skills, and the second round was a technical interview with the architect.

Interview Question – I was asked to implement a java program to get the column name in excel given a column number. (eg 1 -> A, 27 -> AA)... The solution involved recursion   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HomeAway in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a job thru LinkedIn. I was contacted by a recruiter offering a different job which I still liked so I decided to move ahead with it. After an hour talk with 2 directors they decided to flight me in. A lot talks about how the company is awesome. While onsite I had 4 interviews of about 45 mins each. Only 2 were technical, one was about a puzzle question and the other on was about multithreading. There was never a chance to show real programming skills. If you do something wrong, they wont tell you or try to get you to think about the problem differently. I couldnt do the puzzle question, but I did well on the other question. The recruiter called me a couple of days later to tell me that they werent going to make me an offer. They seriously need to revamp their interview process to include more relevant questions.

Interview Question – Dependency graph   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at HomeAway in March 2012.

Interview Details – I had my first-round interview, which was half an hour long, in my college and was then invited to their headquarter at Austin to have a second-round interview. It lasted three hours and consisted of four 45-minute sessions with different interviewers. The first focused on algorithm questions; the second asked some details about my past projects; the third asked an OOP question; and the last one just chatted with me about my interests and extracurricular projects.

Interview Question – It's an OOP question that asks you to design a fish tank. You are given a bunch of objects that reside in the fish tank and their properties, including fishes that eat plankton and live on different layers of water (surface or deep).   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Austin, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at HomeAway in November 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process is well organized. They organized a welcome dinner in downtown Austin for you to network with employees and the interview take place next day.

There are 2 45 minutes interviews and they are painfully easy. I ended up writing about 10 lines of code. I believe it depends on interviewers but the difficulty should be tuned up because challenging interviews do give the candidate the impression that the company is prestigious.

Interview Questions

• Describe how would you design recommendation system for HomeAway   View Answer
  • Design a card, a deck of card in OOP and write shuffle method assuming you have a random function. Write the code   View Answer

Software Engineering

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at HomeAway in September 2012.

Interview Details – It was quite straightfoward. After breif introduction, I was asked to design a way to efficienty to fetch the email address from a person's name given that they have thoudands of email-name pairs. I was asked to written code on the paper. And the follow up question is that how would you do to add new email-name pair into your design.

Interview Question – Design a way to fetch the email address from a person's name given that they have thoudands of email-name pairs   View Answer

Worked for HomeAway? Contribute to the Community!