HomeStreet Mortgage Center

Interviews for Top Jobs at HomeStreet Mortgage Center

Loan Processor II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at HomeStreet Mortgage Center in June 2012.

Was a formal interview with informal questions. I was asked how I handled stress, if I enjoyed having fun at work & asked to describe myself. I was told if I personally don't fit in w/the people who work there, it wouldn't matter how well I knew the job.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing technical or too difficult was asked. Again, I was asked about myself, personally. And not really given any questions on what skills I had to offer.   View Answer
    At my 2nd interview, which was with the hiring manager and his supervisor, I was given the back ground check form to complete, and told it would take a couple of days. Once it was completed, I was emailed that it came back clear, and asked when I'd like to start.

Recruiting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at HomeStreet Mortgage Center in April 2012.

Initially, everything was status quo. Apply online, email from Recruiting Coordinator setting up a time to speak with HM, then phone call from HM.

The Hiring Manager was very friendly and a fairly good representation for Homestreet Bank. I was asked your typical questions of "Why are you looking to leave your current position", "Why Homestreet Bank", "What do you know about us", and the kicker was "What is something you've created or initiated?" Great question, though I don't think they were ready for my answer. You see, Homestreet is very 'old school" banking. My innovation probably scared them to death. They are still utilizing manual processes, don't know how to utilize their current ATS at all, and really, don't have a Recruiting Program at all. Of course, this is why they were looking for a Recruiting Manager, though not to manage or lead people, to manage the process.

Pay was also another issue. They wanted to pay this position WAY under market. Slightly unfair for building processes and a program. There comp and benefits model was not that generous either.

Finally, I had to ask (after my initial thank you email) where the process was at. I received an email saying they moved forward with someone else. Wanting to learn from the experience, I asked for feedback. I have yet to receive any at all. Not good business in my opinion. We're professionals, if I ask, be kind enough to provide. It only takes a minute. All attempts to network with these people have failed as well. Again, that 'old school' demeanor and being stuck in their own world.

My Advice: Treat your candidates as potential customers. You never know who you're talking to, what they could bring to the table, or who they could refer.

Interview Questions