HomeStreet

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Recruiting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at HomeStreet in April 2012.

Initially, everything was status quo. Apply online, email from Recruiting Coordinator setting up a time to speak with HM, then phone call from HM.

The Hiring Manager was very friendly and a fairly good representation for Homestreet Bank. I was asked your typical questions of "Why are you looking to leave your current position", "Why Homestreet Bank", "What do you know about us", and the kicker was "What is something you've created or initiated?" Great question, though I don't think they were ready for my answer. You see, Homestreet is very 'old school" banking. My innovation probably scared them to death. They are still utilizing manual processes, don't know how to utilize their current ATS at all, and really, don't have a Recruiting Program at all. Of course, this is why they were looking for a Recruiting Manager, though not to manage or lead people, to manage the process.

Pay was also another issue. They wanted to pay this position WAY under market. Slightly unfair for building processes and a program. There comp and benefits model was not that generous either.

Finally, I had to ask (after my initial thank you email) where the process was at. I received an email saying they moved forward with someone else. Wanting to learn from the experience, I asked for feedback. I have yet to receive any at all. Not good business in my opinion. We're professionals, if I ask, be kind enough to provide. It only takes a minute. All attempts to network with these people have failed as well. Again, that 'old school' demeanor and being stuck in their own world.

My Advice: Treat your candidates as potential customers. You never know who you're talking to, what they could bring to the table, or who they could refer.

Interview Questions