Honda of America Mfg.

Getting the Interview

29 candidate interviews

Collections Interview

Alpharetta, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at Honda of America Mfg. in April 2009.

Interview Details – I got this interview for through a recruiter. It was $15/an hour for collections.
Be prepared to answer several behavioral questions such as:

I had a 2 person panel and it was pretty intimidting especially considering the postion i was applying for.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had several tasks to complete but did not have time to finish all of them. How did you decide which tasks to complete and why?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you were part of a group and they went with a decision that you did not agree with?   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Staff Engineer
Marysville, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Honda of America Mfg. in January 2008.

Interview Details – The process is basically using the common STAR system. A lot of profiling type of questions where you need to state the situation, describe the task, the actions you took, and the results. The interview is very impersonal. Questions are pre-packaged and not customized to learn any more or less about each interview candidate.

Interview Question – When you encountered a time where you didn't know the solution to a problem, how did you know where to go for information? Use the STAR method.   Answer Question

Technical Specialist - Coordinotor Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Honda of America Mfg. in August 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was for a Japanese car manufacturer in expansion - an engineering managing position in car painting department.

Now before getting to the point - there is the big difference between the Best ones and the Good ones.
The Best ones are using the immersion process of getting the paint on the car or better said getting the car covers in paint. On the other hand the Good ones are using the Robot PC controlled process in trying to reach the same result – getting the paint on the car.
Now if you haven’t seen the way a Mercedes or BMW is coated then you might not really realize the great difference between the Best and the Good. But there is a difference and all those owning a car in Ontario Canada realized it during harsh winter conditions. I personlly owned a brand new two-door Honda Civic SE and later only FORDs so I don't make foolish assumptions here.

The Goods’ products paint is simply starting peeling off at salty roads no later second serious winter. The Bests’ products are still going a long way unless the paint is hammered by rocks and such …

Nevertheless, Japanese cars are excellent on gas …but … poor on the body paint work
And nobody can deny that … It’s a stated fact

Now getting back to the interview issue …

I got this interview through word of mouth – an acquaintance had a good friend inside management.
That’s the way it works even if you are the brightest star in the constellation and every smart one knows that.

The whole process was to apply on the official channel involving no email or fax but through a standard mail delivery to a CP address.

I executed myself in quite a Japanese manner regarding preparation for the interview (time, protocol and such)

After I received a call there was an initial 1:1 face interview with the HR Manager
It consisted in a formal meeting with discussions related to my professional background. I was also given the tour of I call the “brain” area – offices level
As I never been in a typical Japanese setup environment at first I was struck by the open type place environment in the “brain” area. No separated offices, no cubicles, no nothing. Just working desks and of course those with “brains”. There was and still is a “standard” light in color uniform to wear by everyone.

The second interview had two phases.
First phase was a 3:1 session. There was the HR Manage, Technical director, Engineering Manager. All were North-American – no Japanese so far. After the introduction and protocol phase we cut it to the chase. General working engineering questions were asked regarding manufacturing related expertise aiming at assembling and high precision operations.
As I have direct hands-on manufacturing (high-precision assembling – robotics) and engineering design experience the session was quite a thrill.

There was the teamwork related section – as there is an open teamwork environment – and questions with impact on the work process related problems/conflicts and solving skills.
That was another thrill I really enjoyed.

The second phase was a 5:1 session.
A VP of Operations got in the picture – a north-American, and a Japanese gentleman a VP of Operations (from Japan). The North –American VP walked into the room with an attitude and stayed that way throughout the whole time. I was expecting the Japanese one to play that way – he had a keen interest in the whole affair.

The second round consisted of straight questions related to the position. Once it was a project Engineer position involved all that good stuff which calls for Time and Budget Management.
The thrill for me here was that they had quite a different perspective especially when it comes to “management”. That’s why Japanese are so successful. It involves what is called programmed decision-making entailing making decisions based on precedent, procedure, policy, custom, and training. Conversely, American management use non-programmed decision-making - analyzing data and information for the purpose of identifying and solving a problem.

Overall, it was professional and very good and challenging experience and did show off the company in a good light

Interview Question – They asked for the exact code of conduct related to the posted position. And there I could see at work the difference between the North-American way of thinking and the Japanese perspective.
It involved the scenario of setting a robot managed painting line for a given budget ($2 Million) from proposal idea to the final operational stage.
  View Answer

Equipment Service Interview

Interviewed at Honda of America Mfg.

Interview Details – Submit Resume' or post to website
Undergo initial phone interview
One group interview with several department reps + HR rep
Second group interview

Interview Question – Ask to diagnose PLC logic
Identify components of hydraulic schematic
Identify mechanical print symbols
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotions

Senior Engineer Interview

Raymond, OH

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Honda of America Mfg. in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applies through job wesite and I got a mail from Honda R&D to fill 21 questions abt salry expecations, visa status, no of years exp etc....after four months HR called and arranged interview face to face (I didn't add any phone interview), the interview took around 80 mins. Interview took by Manager and two techlead along with HR. They asked abt my previous exp detail and some general behavioral questions like
1. y do u like automotive domain
2. what are the process followed and tools used
3. Exp with previous clients
4. Interview was not too harsh and it was good....

After the interview the HR told me that they will inform after 2 weeks....so waiting......

Interview Question – They ask abt "do we have any exp with complete process starting development to deliver (production)   View Answer

Engineering Co-Op Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Honda of America Mfg..

Interview Details – Applied online and received a phone call scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview started off with the interviewer going through my resume and asking me about my work experiences and my experiences with student groups. Then he asked of a lot of STAR "tell me a time when" questions. They took a long time to get back to me, so I called asking what the status of my application was, and they told me to wait again. The next day I received an e-mail saying I did not get the offer.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to deal with two team members with conflicting ideas.   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op
East Liberty, OH

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Honda of America Mfg. in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and underwent a two stage interview process entirely over the phone spanning a few weeks. First interview was with an HR representative who asked generic questions and typed every word that I said. Second interview was with my future mentor and supervisor with great conversation over each of my responses.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you received insufficient information to complete a task.   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op
Marysville, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Honda of America Mfg. in November 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted resume online, got a call back within a few days to schedule a phone interview with HR.

HR Interviews you and if they like you, you will be interviewed by an engineering department.

There was no on-site interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you had a problem with a partner and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Mechanical Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Honda of America Mfg. in November 2008.

Interview Details – They are very responsive. You are first pre-screened via Q/A over email about your interests and why you want to work there. You will get a call and setup an interview with HR. They will further ask you personality questions and see if you fit in. You will then be told about housing and other information relevant to your stay. There are two positions - test/support intern and manufacturing intern. Your resume is forwarded to other managers and they will further contact you. If you have the knowledge required for that position, you should get it. Interview for me was 35 minutes, both of them. Its not too bad, just remember to make everything you say very clear.

Interview Question – Tell me something technical about the project you worked on? not too bad..   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate

Production Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Honda of America Mfg. in September 2009.

Interview Details – I applied online via Honda of America's web site in September 2009. Within a few days, I was contacted via email to schedule a time for a phone interview. This phone interview took approximately 25 minutes. The first 15 minutes was a series of questions related to my experience, as detailed in my resume, and some situational questions (such as "what would you do to convince hourly employees to implement a policy from upper management?"). For the remaining 10 minutes, my interviewer described the work environment at Honda and gave me time to ask questions.

After a few days, I was invited to an on-site interview which was conducted by two other engineers. The format was similar to that of the phone interview, but more in-depth. A great deal of "tell me about a time when you did x" questions were asked. The interviewers also gave me detailed information about the culture and career paths at Honda. This second interview lasted about an hour. I felt that this interview went very well. However, I was not extended a job offer. Presumably, a more experienced candidate was hired. It should also be noted, though, that Honda has a policy of performing credit checks on every potential employee. In this economic climate, with large numbers of people seeking work, having less than perfect credit may be yet another excuse to disqualify a job applicant.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to convince hourly employees to implement a policy from upper management?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you were unsuccessful at something, why this happened, and what you did about it.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Honda of America Mfg.

Worked for Honda of America Mfg.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Honda of America Mfg. interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by Honda of America Mfg. employees and interview candidates.