DMC Atlanta

www.dmcatlanta.com

DMC Atlanta Account Manager Interview Question

I interviewed in Atlanta, GA and was asked:
"Honestly, I was ready for all of the questions. No curve-balls here."
Tags: vague, directv, deceptive recruiting, dmc atlanta, cold sales, second interview
Add Tags [?]
Answer

Part of a Account Manager Interview Review - one of 32 DMC Atlanta Interview Reviews

Answers & Comments

of 0
votes

Ok, now for some VERY IMPORTANT words of advice! You will leave the first interview feeling good about it like you nailed it, but at the same time you will still not have a clue as to what the hell DMC Atlanta even does. Sound strange? It WAS strange. They are very vague and almost shady with their recruiting tactics. As hard as I pushed for a clear answer, short of saying, "Ok, what is it that you do here?", I couldn't remotely get one. The job posting that I applied for was for a "Account Manager" position that coupled with my education and experience, I was well qualified for. Pay was to start at $50,000/yr plus benefits which I could deal with as long as the opportunity for "fast advancement" was also promised. Fast advancement into managing what? Accounts of what? I was called back for the second interview and again was asked some basic questions, no big deal. Now, I am told it will be a "field interview". Good thing I drove and didn't get dropped off as this was never mentioned. Still having no clue what the company actually does, I am now following a "team leader" about 45 minutes up the road and pull off an exit to get some lunch and discuss the position further. It is starting to make sense at this point that this will be a cold sales position even though the job posting claims the exact opposite. The cold sales are for, you guessed it, DirecTV. A pay structure is now being mulled over at lunch using a poorly designed pamphlet and a ink pen for reference. The pay structure seems decent but is on a $300/wk draw system that will bite you in the long run if your first couple weeks aren't stellar (to be expected). The next thing I know, I am standing in the middle of Wal-Mart pitching shoppers the DirecTV sales pitch! So guys, this is what the job entails: One hour (suit and tie) in the office (starting at 11:00am) of one on ones and games such as pictionary with other associates, followed by a 30min-hr long drive to a Wal-mart appointed to you (change into dress pants and polo shirt) where you will set up a table with pamphlets and such and then try to use a pre-fab'd sales pitch in order to get Wal-mart shoppers to sign up for DirecTV (until 8:00pm - 9:00pm). Please, if this is not what you envisioned for your new "marketing" job, be forewarned. I really wish they would be a bit more transparent about what the actual job entails before putting you through the whole process only to be hugely disappointed. On the other hand, if a few years of the coldest sales imaginable is what you are looking for, this might be the right job for you.

-John