Horace Mann

Updated Nov 26, 2014
Updated Nov 26, 2014

2.7

Property Adjuster Interview

One interview; two management members; very nice and informative; the work culture is very comfortable and the management supports the team with good training and backup.

Claims Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Horace Mann in October 2014.

I submitted a resume to the company and was called a few days later about setting and a time for an interview, which we set for the next day. The time for the interview came and went and about 15 minutes later the girl in HR called me saying the manager was sick. We set another time for the next day, but a few minutes later the girl in HR called me back saying that manager would still be out could we set the interview for Monday? I needed a job so of course it was no problem, but i was starting to see why this company had such terrible reviews on here.

Well Monday at interview time I get nothing. Not a call. So I email the girl in HR to advise her of this, thinking that maybe Columbus day may have messed the schedule up. She emails back apologizing, again, and says she will reset it. So a few days go by and I do not hear anything. So I email her again asking when it would be set up. later that day she emails and said it would be in two days at 3xx with so and so. The day and time comes... and passes... and nothing. About 15 minutes later I get a call from the team manager. We talk for about 30 minutes and it all seems good. He has the HR girl send me the assessments and secondary job application. I do all of that promptly and sent it back.

It is now Wednesday and I have not heard anything so I email the HR girl again to confirm it has been received. A few hours later I get an email back saying. "Thanks for applying, but...." So it appears to me that they ran me through the ringer and were never going to even tell me I did not get it until i made it a point to ask.

My only assumption, which I base off of the employee reviews, is that they felt like I would leave quickly because I was coming from a company, State Farm, which does a great job taking care of employees. I guess they want people who have never seen a company do that.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most dificult part of your previous claims job?   View Answer

IT Asset Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Horace Mann in February 2013.

Initial interview was by a recruiter, then a follow-up phone interview by same recruiter. Following the phone interview, I was interviewed by a management panel and asked to submit a drug test and background check. Training was 1 month long.

Interview Questions
    I was not given the opportunity to negotiate, though I did ask.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrisville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrisville, NC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Horace Mann.

It's been awhile, but from what I can remember, I submitted my resume online. A few weeks later I received a call to come in and take a test. After passing the first test I took a second test. After passing the second test I was interviewed. I was called a week or so later and offered the job starting two weeks after that.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Horace Mann in March 2012.

The first interview was conducted over the phone with an in-house recruiter. It was fairly relaxed and she was very pleasant. I was invited to a 2nd interview a few days later. During this interview I met with an accounting supervisor and a manager. They asked me the basic interview questions plus questions about the processes I would use. Overall, not a good position for an aspiring CPA.

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Horace Mann in July 2011.

I was called at 5PM and offered asked to come in at 9AM the next day to interview, so they gave very little time to prepare. The 9AM interview was a recruiter screening, and they asked me to come back later in the day to interview with the hiring manager. The interview itself was fairly straightforward: I met some of the engineers and they asked engineering related questions concerning database design and rapid development techniques. They gave me one programming problem to work out on paper, but it was also pretty easy. The interview went well, but it would have gone much better if I had been more prepared.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between an interface and an abstract class and when would you use each?   Answer Question

Senior Claims Counselor/Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Horace Mann in July 2010.

To obtain an interview, fill out on-line application. You may then get a telephone interview, if they are interested. If you pass the telephone interview, you will take a three-part exam which analyzes your innate capabilities. They want people who can make decisions, well and fast.

Interview Questions
    • Here is what your exam indicates you would have difficulty making decisions. How would you handle this?   View Answer
    There was none - take it or leave it. But, this was an entry level position.

IT Training and Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Horace Mann in April 2010.

Phone interview with HR. 1:1 interview with HR. Several group/panel interviews. 1:1 interview with hiring manager. Basic interview and questions - why Horace Mann - what do you know about the company - how do you handle difficult situations - how do you work with employees who may not want to participate in any training you are offering - how do you make a change every day?

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with people who are not interested in any of the training you have to offer?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about Horace Mann?   Answer Question
    No negotiation on vacation days. Go for the best rate you can coming in!

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Horace Mann in January 2010.

I was interviewed by a branch manager. We went to Insurance school together. He asked questions that are typical of the profession, they are trying to see if you are a salesman or clerical type. Have a good idea of the enviorment is good. You will spend alot of time in the teachers breakroom, with a table setup. You may want to do raffles or even giveaways to get teacher and staff info. Property and casualty may be your best bet for getting infront of folks.

Interview Questions
    • How would you get someone with State Farm to come over to Horace Mann Insurance.   View Answer
    100% commission, no negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Horace Mann in June 2009.

phone interview and in person interview.... took 2 weeks