Horace Mann Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.7

Product Management Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Horace Mann.

Interview

First there was a brief call with a hr rep asking basic questions. Then I had a call with an actuary at the company for about 30 min. Next they brought me in for 2 hours and about 4 interviews.

Data Entry Clerk Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Horace Mann.

Interview

Applied for the position, about a week later I got a call back from a recruiter who said the company was interested in me coming in to interview for a data entry lever position. The day of my interview I went in, took a data entry test to see what my skill and accuracy was, then I sat with my recruiter to do the interview. She was nice, professional, made me feel at ease. Typical job interview questions. All went well and I felt good about my possibilities in being offered a position as I left that day.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question is what most employers ask during an interview, "What you feel are are your areas of development, things you need to improve on."   Answer Question

Property Adjuster Interview

Interview

One interview; two management members; very nice and informative; the work culture is very comfortable and the management supports the team with good training and backup.

Claims Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Horace Mann in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted a resume to the company and was called a few days later about setting and a time for an interview, which we set for the next day. The time for the interview came and went and about 15 minutes later the girl in HR called me saying the manager was sick. We set another time for the next day, but a few minutes later the girl in HR called me back saying that manager would still be out could we set the interview for Monday? I needed a job so of course it was no problem, but i was starting to see why this company had such terrible reviews on here. Well Monday at interview time I get nothing. Not a call. So I email the girl in HR to advise her of this, thinking that maybe Columbus day may have messed the schedule up. She emails back apologizing, again, and says she will reset it. So a few days go by and I do not hear anything. So I email her again asking when it would be set up. later that day she emails and said it would be in two days at 3xx with so and so. The day and time comes... and passes... and nothing. About 15 minutes later I get a call from the team manager. We talk for about 30 minutes and it all seems good. He has the HR girl send me the assessments and secondary job application. I do all of that promptly and sent it back. It is now Wednesday and I have not heard anything so I email the HR girl again to confirm it has been received. A few hours later I get an email back saying. "Thanks for applying, but...." So it appears to me that they ran me through the ringer and were never going to even tell me I did not get it until i made it a point to ask. My only assumption, which I base off of the employee reviews, is that they felt like I would leave quickly because I was coming from a company, State Farm, which does a great job taking care of employees. I guess they want people who have never seen a company do that.

Interview Questions

• What was the most dificult part of your previous claims job?   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Horace Mann (Irving, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

Fairly relaxed. Mangers here are very easy going - they like to talk about sports and hobbies. They ask a lot of behavioral questions. Lots of questions to do with customer service and they ask you about outcomes that weren't necessarily the best to see how you handle difficult situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer/caller, and was not able to satisfy them. Why?   1 Answer

IT Asset Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Horace Mann (Springfield, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

Initial interview was by a recruiter, then a follow-up phone interview by same recruiter. Following the phone interview, I was interviewed by a management panel and asked to submit a drug test and background check. Training was 1 month long.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not given the opportunity to negotiate, though I did ask.

Claims Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Horace Mann (Morrisville, NC).

Interview

It's been awhile, but from what I can remember, I submitted my resume online. A few weeks later I received a call to come in and take a test. After passing the first test I took a second test. After passing the second test I was interviewed. I was called a week or so later and offered the job starting two weeks after that.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Horace Mann (Springfield, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

The first interview was conducted over the phone with an in-house recruiter. It was fairly relaxed and she was very pleasant. I was invited to a 2nd interview a few days later. During this interview I met with an accounting supervisor and a manager. They asked me the basic interview questions plus questions about the processes I would use. Overall, not a good position for an aspiring CPA.

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Horace Mann (Springfield, IL) in July 2011.

Interview

I was called at 5PM and offered asked to come in at 9AM the next day to interview, so they gave very little time to prepare. The 9AM interview was a recruiter screening, and they asked me to come back later in the day to interview with the hiring manager. The interview itself was fairly straightforward: I met some of the engineers and they asked engineering related questions concerning database design and rapid development techniques. They gave me one programming problem to work out on paper, but it was also pretty easy. The interview went well, but it would have gone much better if I had been more prepared.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between an interface and an abstract class and when would you use each?   Answer Question

Customer Care Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Horace Mann (Springfield, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

I applied for the position in November. I was invited for an interview in February. I was invited for a face to face interview with an HR Recruiter. After my interview with HR, they asked me if I could go ahead and have my second interview with a Customer Care Manager right then. Of course I agreed. I interviewed with the manager immediately. I was asked to sit with a representative and listen to incoming phone calls. After listening, the manager asked me if I had any questions and if I thought I could handle the job. The following week I received an offer to begin work in two weeks.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any difficult or odd questions.   1 Answer